Author Topic: Using seafoam  (Read 5539 times)

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
on: November 27, 2012, 07:40:48 am
Hi Folks,
I have used seafoam in the gas tank and the bike seems to run much smoother. I read in the seafoam instructions that it could also be added to the engine oil; 1.5 ounce per quart of oil. I am thinking about using it just about the next oil service; they say run it 30 to 100 miles and then the dirty oil could be tossed out.
Has anyone tried using Seafoam in the engine and what are the results does it help in cleaning some of the carbon buildup in the engine?
Also, how can I use seaform for the intake?

Thanks guys!
2011 RE C5 (@25K + miles)
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed (sold @26K miles)
2013 BMW R1200RT (@43K + miles)

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:16:28 am
Using Seafoam in the fuel tank may help clean up any deposits in the intake manifold, as well as any deposits or contamination in the injector system. It should also loosen any deposits or carbon build up in the combustion chamber and exhaust system, including the valve.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 01:34:15 pm
could you share a link on the Correct Sea foam product to be used in fuel, and ratio please. Also is there any company which ships worldwide.....??

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 03:49:00 pm
i used sea foam in my klr650. it really made a difference on how it ran. i think i will drop by the local auto parts store and drop some in the re as it "feels" like it needs a cleaning.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html

you can get it at any o'rieley, auto zone parts store.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 04:26:57 pm
Are these pretty similar? I've been using Sta-Bil Marine (green) formula to fight the corrosive effects of Ethanol. Like the regular Red Sta-Bil, it is also used to keep gas fresh & start ups fast-Works for me. I have not seen Seafoam in stores as much as Sta-Bil Products. Any Comparison?
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 04:54:54 pm
I'm not sure if the wet clutch would take to well to the seafoam. I've used it in the tank and shown some good results on  both the butt dyno and the ear dyno. Most auto part stores in north america should stock it. Walmart in Canada does as well
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 06:08:05 pm
I don't think Sta-bil is the same type product as Sea Foam, however Marvel Mystery Oil works the same in gas and oil and doesn't affect the clutch. Techron will clean the intake system but I don't know whether or not it's OK in oil.
I'm pretty sure Sea Foam is available in the UK. I think some of those guys have mentioned using it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 08:35:40 pm
Sta-bil contains no alcohol, Seafoam does......big difference.

http://www.fueltestkit.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:40:52 pm by squire »

Singh_Chicago

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 08:43:29 pm
Can we add Techron, while stabil is already mixed in tank ?

Singh_Chicago

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 08:52:03 pm
Just read this - All Chevron-branded gasolines contain the unique Techron additive. Techron contains a polyerther amine (PEA)-based chemistry designed to keep vital engine parts clean and remove deposits left by lower quality gasolines, while minimizing any contribution to harmful combustion chamber deposits.
http://www.chevronwithtechron.com/car-care-faq/default.aspx

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 09:45:17 pm
I believe the Techron additive in a bottle when added at prescribed amounts results in a much higher concentration than what you get at the pump.  I think it was Tri750 that swore by this stuff for many of his BMW customers.  The bikes seem to need it every so many thousands of miles and then they play very nicely again.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 09:55:58 pm
My K-75 sure liked it every so often.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:47 pm
Car Guys on NPR say Techron is the only fuel additive that actually does clean stuff up.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 11:36:53 pm
Gypysjo : That's what I read somewhere on the internet (of course it may had been the stabil website)  but interesting that NPR mentioned it (Was it a paid endorsement) ?...I've been using seafoam the past 6 years with no problems encountered in the occasional summer usage and as a winterizing additive...This year I decided to go with the stabil (dark) marine blend as its just a more concentrated bottle of stabilizer/rust inhibitor vice the red at twice the cost/12 bucks...I was surprised that it treats 80 gallons of fuel...I just rode the mower and took the three bikes out for a spin to get the stabil enriched fuel into the carb bowls, etc...It will be interesting to see what spring brings when I fire everything up...Techron is the way to go as a cleaner especially if you can get a case at Costco... Techron doesn't up the ethanol content as Seafoam supposedly does...Kinda makes sense in the interpretation presented by the competition .  Who wants more ethanol....I don't and neither do you....Probably just all dam snake oil but love the mechanic in a bottle speil...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 02:58:34 am
The gas additive debate is a slippery slope. Almost as popular to debate as brands of oil.
Techron is a good product, the first hand experience I have is with the BMW branded product made by Chevron. It's BMW fuel injection cleaner. It contains 3 times the active ingredients contained in a bottle of Chevron Techron, which is of course a higher concentration than using Chevron fuel.
The BMW product sells for 16.00 per 20oz. Bottle and you use 1 ounce per gallon every 6 to 8 tanks. If you have a rough idle or hard start due to partially clogged injectors using it for 2-3 consecutive tanks is good. This works for carb equipped cars or bikes as well to clean out jets and remove junk from your float bowls.  The BMW product is also a fuel preservative, an octane booster and cleans oxidation from modern film strip type fuel level sensors. It will not repair a worn or misadjusted carb, fix an injector that is plugged solid or cure male pattern baldness.
I have seen it "magically" fix a rough idle due to impurities in the float bowls on 3 occasions within 5 minutes of adding it to fresh gasoline and letting a bike idle. It does the things the Seafoam product claims to do that I've yet to see happen.
You want to learn about more magic stuff? Ask me about Yamaha carb cleaner concentrate.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT