Author Topic: Enfield Newbie - 1958 Idian Trailblazer with carb issues  (Read 1874 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Hey everyone!  Just wanted to say hi.  I recently picked a 1958 Indian Trailblazer 700cc Twin.  I actually build classic auto restorations and full customs, and I plan on doing some mild customizing but retaining most of the stock appearance.  I've been turning wrenches for a LONG time, but this is my 1st British bike so I'm a little new to the scene.

THE ISSUE THAT NEEDS ADDRESSING:  The bike seems to run but I'm having major fuel issues.  Keep in mind I live in Denver, a mile HIGH in the sky.  From what I can tell, the carb is an Amal 389 Monobloc with a 30mm bore.  I've replaced all the gaskets and it idles fine, but as soon as I get over 1/8 throttle it just pukes and falls on it's face.  I'm ordering new jets on Tuesday and hopefully that will help, but I'm curious if anyone else has had the same problem with the Monoblocs.  Also, ANY info that can supply to help me get this thing running better would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 06:20:08 pm
Those bikes came with a 1 1/16" 27mm carb. I've got a few of them running now. If interested I can give you the jet sizes for them.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 05:41:27 am
Jet sizes would be handy.  Though I did measure the bore with a digital caliper and it has a 30mm bore on the carb.  I just ordered a repair manual from British Only and I hope to have the timing and points set on Saturday.  Know of any tricks to keep it from leaking so much oil?

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:41:27 pm
Here's a jet chart for them. The only non leak trick is a complete tear down and a lot of sealer.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:14:52 pm
Does anyone have ANY idea how to set the timing on this bike?  I'm leaning more towards a timing issue now.  Every time I started the bike it progessively ran worse, and now it won't start at all.  I put in brand new plugs and custom made new plug wires, and set the points.  When setting the points, I noticed that is no way to adjust the points plate.  It has the same ignition set up as the 1958 Constellation 700cc.  I'm getting excellent spark, but I can't get the bike even sputter a little bit.  Even when I shoot ether into the carb.  PLEASE HELP!