Author Topic: The loop  (Read 1667 times)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
on: November 24, 2012, 05:13:00 am
Woke up to a beautiful day and headed out on my Enfield to ride my scenic 165 mile loop. I topped my tank off in Devore and headed up to Hwy 138. Made my left on to Lone Pine Cyn and my bike was pulling the long grade like its supposed to. I had taken off the Hitchcocks pipe and put my stock one back on . Since the removable baffle broke last week, Id been running without it in my Goldstar silencer and now the bike is breathing alot better. A joy to hear again . Not too loud, just right. I got up to Wrightwood and it was like I rode into a meat locker. I had dressed for the cold but wished Id worn my fullface helmet. Started down N4 and froze my ass off until I got to the desert where it warmed to about 70 degrees. Felt good but the wind started to pick up a bit. I rode Mt Emma to Angeles Forest and the wind started to lesson. Made my left onto my favorite, Upper Big Tujunga and really enjoyed the 5th gear sweepers and the sound of the thumper echoing off the highwalls of the canyon. I got up to Angeles Crest Highway and headed east and the cold was making my face burn in the shady areas. The bike was taking the twisty road like a pro that she is. I pulled into Newcomb's for a cup of coffee and was confronted by a guy who obviously had been over served at the bar and was all slobbery about the bike. Too many questions. The final one was "What do the numbers mean on your front fender ? " I informed him that I am a recovering alcoholic and the numbers are my sobriety date. Should have seen how fast he scurried off ! Next I was being overrun by bee's so I returned their coffee cup and got the hell out of there. The ride back to Wrightwood was going great until I encountered falling rocks on the road. It was almost the worst Ive seen in a long time. What is usually a 30 minute ride from Newcomb's turned into 55 minutes. Reminded me of the Enduro Days. Got back to Wrightwood and started down the canyon into warmer air and felt alittle better. By the time I got home Id been riding for 4.5 hours and was covered in sweat. Crazy California weather for you !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:14:25 pm
Jack: I have a loop that I ride but nothing  near that distance. Don't u hate talking to a intoxicated imbecile and throw in the Enfield for good measure.  I picture you in a futile attempt in "calming the situation"...Where was your wing man when u needed him?...I can see the landslide (rocks in the road) would be a problem..I'm assuming that the enfield just went right around them with no problem. The thumping in the canyon sounded fun. Glad you made it home without alot of slobber on your jacket from your new found friend at Newcombs. GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:53:50 pm
Wingman had to stay in. Wifey is off for a long weekend!
I guess I would've frozen my butt off, too!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Afro Samurai

• Bulleteer
  • Afro Samurai
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:54:15 pm
Ha...maybe all the thumping from that beast caused the rock slides... 8)