Author Topic: Running the EFI with no silencer (baffles rattled out and are loose)  (Read 4397 times)

TristanB

• Scooter
Hi there,

Happy Thanksgiving! - So I took my bike on a 300 mile run to see if I fixed some problems I was having, and the baffles in the silencer come out / loose, and its making a nasty rattle. Would there be any problems / issues running the bike with the silencer baffles out. I wasn't sure if it might cause any problems with the EFI, but I do have a 300 mile trip back home, but wanted to check it wouldn't cause any damage. I'll buy a new silencer when I get home.

- Tristan
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:40:07 am by TristanB »

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 03:12:36 am
Your bike will run without a silencer but will be louder then hell. Another thing is when you shut your engine off cold air can travel up your pipe and possibly warp your exhaust valve. I wouldn't recommend it.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

TristanB

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 03:34:16 am
So it would be safe for a 300 mile ride home? I don't intend to keep it that way, I just need to get back!

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 03:41:28 am
If it were me, Id get hold of some good ear plugs and when you get home put a rag over the end of the pipe when you shut her down. You dont want any cold air getting into the head. I wish you the best of luck !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Not likely to do any damage. A full length exhaust isn't going to allow enough cold air to get to your valve to damage it. I mean a lot of people run unbaffled straight pipes or megaphones and never have a problem. Don't you hear those Hardleys out there?
Actually, I think the idea of warping valves is an old wive's tale that was started in about 1908. The rotary engines for airplanes didn't even have any exhaust pipes. They just blew the exhaust out right at the head. I've never known anyone in the last 50 years who ever warped a valve from an open exhaust.
I once rode a Matchless 500 thumper 50 miles home with no exhaust pipe whatsoever. It survived. The pipe died on the freeway when it came off and got run over buy a car or 6. It shore was loud, though!
The only thing you will have to worry is a cop.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
You will be fine. Mine with a fireball kit is louder than any stock enfield out there, much louder than a stock UCE. No trouble with the valve or teh cops, even in Cantafordia.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Just make sure that the EFI has enough enrichment latitude to keep it from going too lean.
I've never seen any warped valves from running open headers, but I've seen plenty of burnt valves.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Where were you guys when he needed help ? LOL !

Bite the bullet

• Scooter
I recently installed the EFI silencer on my g5 sans the baffle that comes with it. It's more or less just a straight pipe. Runs great, with a nice little pop every now and then. IMO the bike sounds much better than stock, but I would never call it loud by any stretch. Driving in just normal city traffic almost completely drowns out the exhaust note of my bike.
2010 G5 deluxe

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
I recently installed the EFI silencer on my g5 sans the baffle that comes with it. It's more or less just a straight pipe. Runs great, with a nice little pop every now and then. IMO the bike sounds much better than stock, but I would never call it loud by any stretch. Driving in just normal city traffic almost completely drowns out the exhaust note of my bike.
I did the same. Not too loud, yet a nice thump, and occasional pops on deceleration. I like it just the way it is.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

palace15

• Bulleteer
Ran my C5 down to French/Italian Alps back in July and on the way down I was 'losing' the baffles and the bike was getting progressively louder, so much so that on one French campsite, the reception are was next to the bar and my evening arrival caused a bit of a stir, I apologised and said my exhaust was 'kaput' the guy laughed and said "No problem, it makes nice sound!" I must have ridden over 1000 miles like this and found no difference in the bikes performance, even in the mountains.
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.