Author Topic: Advice Needed  (Read 2742 times)

H2O

• Scooter
  • Death is inevitable so enjoy the ride
on: October 13, 2012, 08:20:25 pm
Hi, I'm from South Africa where there are not many sidecar enthusiasts and consequently it is difficult to gather information on sidecar rigs.

I am looking for answers to the questions below:
1.) Are the square tires preferable.
2.) What mileage can be expected on a set of tires.
3.) Should I retain the motorcycle tyres how will the handling of the rig be affected, especially safety.
4.) Can I expect the same mileage on the motorcycle tires as on the square tires.
Be alert
Be safe
Live your life

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 05:45:48 pm
The original rear tire on my G5 with Cozy Euro sidecar gave me about 3500 miles before i switched from Avon SM to Avon Sidecar.  The front Avon SM only went about 3000 miles before switching to
dunlop K70.  I would have replaced it with Avon Sidecar except I can't find it in a 3.5 - 19 size.  The Cozy sidecar came with that tire and size, but I can't find it in the US listings.  I plan to use the K70 on both front and sidecar in the future.  It has much more tread and better shape than the Avon SM front.  During the last 1000 miles on the original rear Avon SM, I noticed considerable loss of traction on turns, especially turns away from sidecar, and especially under either power or braking.  I am speaking of normal turns at moderate speeds on paved roads.  I do not have occasion to drive on unpaved surfaces.  I do not usually carry a passenger, but do carry modrate cargo, often in the 50 - 100 lb range.  Most driving is in town with 35 - 45 mph speed limit with about 10 - 15 percent on highway with 55 mph limit.  usual mileage is in the 60 - 68 mpg range (US gal, not Imperial gal).  I do not know what the wear rate will be on the Avon Sidecar tire, but traction is much better and I think tire life will be much better than the original SM on the rear.  The original Avon Sidecar tire on the sidecar looks like it will run 10,000 to 15,000 miles, but I can't be sure.  You definitely need the square profile on the rear of the bike and something other than the thin center rib type on the front.  That thin rib will wear off fast with the rest of the tire never touching the road surface.  GA-DK  in northwest Georgia, USA.

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:53:09 am
Bought a 2009 G5 in early summer with about 2,500 miles on the original tires.  The front Avon speedmaster ribbed tire seemed to have decent tread at the time.  After hooking up the sidecar the tread on the front seemed to disappear rapidly.  Replaced it with Dunlop K70 so time will tell how it stands up.  The original Avon speedmaster rear tire seems to be holding up quite well to sidecar use.