Author Topic: Time for a new tire?  (Read 3912 times)

spyker

• Scooter
on: November 20, 2012, 07:39:59 pm
My '03 ES 500 (mfg date of 1/03) still has its original rear tire.  Just under 10K.  In fact it still has a ton of tread left on it.  Feels okay when riding but then again maybe I've just gotten use to its feel as it aged.  No cracking, doesn't look old.  Already know what I'd replace it with - Dunlop.  Is its age alone reason to ditch it?

Afro Samurai

• Bulleteer
  • Afro Samurai
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:10:29 pm
I got an 01...same issue...orig tire...wondered.the same thing...tires look perfect...good question....

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:47:12 pm
I go by look personally... if its not dry-rotting - sliced - has deep enough tread grooves - and doesnt have anything that just looks wrong - keep it.

I might be totally stupid on this one though - I'm sure someone else has a better comment than mine.  haha   ;D
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:37:10 pm
I agree with Phlakaton.  No need to replace purely on mileage.  The amount of wear and weathering are all you need to consider.  If you garage your bike, and avoid hard stops and starts, your tires will last a good long while.

Side note, your tire profile may be really abnormal though, if you've put a lot of miles on it on straightaways.  Make sure to check the tread depth in several places.  If has worn square, you'll be thrown off by how rounded your new tires feel.

spyker

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:59:27 pm
I like the sound of this, keeps more money in my pocket.  I'm pretty sure the wear is even but I'll double check in the morning. There's not a lot of straights around here.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 02:39:35 am
You need to check the tire mfg date. Look on the tire for an oval on the sidewall with four numbers inside it. The first two represent the week and the last two are the year of manufacture. My original "Unsafely Mileage" rear tire was like 3 to 4 years old before my bike was built in 2003. What happens over time is the rubber will get harder which is not a good thing for motorcycle tires. If your tire hasn't been exposed to to much sunlight it may be OK but if it has over the years combined with age you might want to buy a new one. I got a set of K70's and tubes plus delivery for under $150 from Bike Bandit.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 04:11:40 pm
Someone had written into the Tech Guy at Cycle World a few months back about tires.  The guy said you should replace them every 5 years or so even if the tread looked okay and it was not dry-rotted.  He said because the rubber gets hard and it loses grip. 

To me, it sounded a bit excessive.  Maybe he owns stock in tire companies.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:49:44 pm
You have to consider what you're riding, too. If you have a 150mph motorcycle that your ride fast, the shorter intervals may be a good thing. However, a 50-60 mph Enfield shouldn't be a problem. If you have the original Avons on there, they're doing what they do best, lasting. They have no other qualities that would be lost with the long time running!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 04:59:18 pm
^ what Bare says is very valid.  If I pushed my tires to the limit, ran them at incredibly high speeds, was a professional rider, etc.  I would be a lot more cautious and probably swap them out at half their life even.

Hardened rubber isn't one of my concerns.  I've ridden obviously hardened tires, and they don't perform quite as well, but for my needs they're still plenty fine.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 05:51:33 pm
You have to consider what you're riding, too. If you have a 150mph motorcycle that your ride fast, the shorter intervals may be a good thing. However, a 50-60 mph Enfield shouldn't be a problem. If you have the original Avons on there, they're doing what they do best, lasting. They have no other qualities that would be lost with the long time running!
Bare

I say BS to that!

When it comes to maintaining your motorcycle it should not matter if it's speedy or sluggish. Tires are one of the most important aspects when it comes to rider safety. To tell someone that leaving an old set of tires on a bike because the low performance doesn't warrant a replacement is absurd. Tires are relatively inexpensive.  Is somebody's safety or piece of mind not worth shelling out $150? If you guys want to keep the stock tires on your bike then go for the record. I say there are better tires to be had that will increase safety and transform your Bullet's handling. I think the smart ones out there know the importance of good rubber and the foolishness of pushing the shelf life.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 06:35:02 pm
Meh.  I could spend all day nitpicking safety issues in every aspect of my life, til I'm shrouded in a bubble-wrap cocoon and never leaving the house.  Everyone has their own safety limits.

I do change my riding habits based on the state of my tires/bike though.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 06:45:57 pm
     Tires are subject to a phenomenon called out-gassing. Most of the traction you get is from the carcass construction combined with the quality (stickiness/suppleness) of the rubber. Tread is there to disburse water and debris. The actual tread pattern is essentially immaterial as long as it performs that function. On smooth dry pavement you could use slicks as the racers do for maximum traction. Just don't run over any dirt or water. 
     If you have watched any racing such as F1 or Nascar, you know that tires are replaced because they "fall off". This is because of the out-gassing I mentioned. The rubber is made with volatile chemicals that give the tire it's traction properties. Under the heat of racing speeds they out-gas quickly. In normal use this process is much slower, but it still happens with EVERY heat cycle. A hot day in your garage will cause some out-gassing. There is no way for the average rider to measure this, and because it happens so slowly you get used to the feel.
     The problem rears its ugly head under extreme use. Going into a corner 5 MPH too fast or a panic stop will be the test. When new the tires work great, but when hard the extra 5 MPH may cause it to break loose. Or you might take 10 feet longer to stop when a car cuts you off. In either case the money you save on tires will NOT cover the crash damage or the hospital bill.
     You might consider replacing your tires sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:52:59 pm by Vince »

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 07:15:39 pm
I do change my riding habits based on the state of my tires/bike though.

Great quote Lars!

When you have to change your riding habits because of the state your tires are in then it is probably time to change the tires. That simplifies the do I or don't I dilemma.

Thanks for your input.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 08:53:16 pm
True enough.

If I had an abundance of funds I'd probably change my tires quite frequently.  As it is, I'll just avoid hard cornering, take side streets, etc. as they age.  I'd rather accept some risk and be on the road than not.  Plus I've blown out enough tires to know when they're in a real dangerous condition.

spyker

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 04:11:48 am
I replaced the front with a K70  2 years ago. The local guys prices are competitive.  And there's this real twisty fun road that I try to work into every ride even if I'm going in the opposite direction.  Plus I want to check out the rear brakes so the wheel will be off anyway.   it appears its new tire time.  Thanks for all the info