Author Topic: Oil pump and rocker assemblies  (Read 1861 times)

Dhastings1954

• 98 bullet Deluxe
  • Scooter
on: November 22, 2012, 02:28:47 am
So I posted a while back about rocker assembly issues and whether or not they were getting oil. Got the new assemblies and installed. No oil being pumped, so opened up the timing case and found problem; worm nut totally shot and splines in pump shaft also bad. So I order parts from certain dealer and told everything in stock. Got parts and no worm nut; on back order. I put the pump parts together anyway and decide to order worm nut from Indian supplier and see who got it to me first. Indian part arrived today and I installed worm nut, carefully put timing case back on, put exhaust pipe back on, changed oil and filter and started er up. Sounded good so I carefully backed off the banjo bolts and lo and behold oil starts squirting out! Yeah! Well, not so fast. I turned the banjo bolts back down but oil still squirting out of the pipe feeding exhaust valve. Turns out oil pipe is almost broken off at junction. So I take the piping off, drill out the hole, clean everything up and re-solder the pipe. It all goes back on okay and I go to start it up again, push down on the choke lever and the whole damn thing comes right out of the carb body! Cool! Now what! I managed to get it put back in, but I know the threads are bad and it is going to sh--- the bed again soon. Got and idea about how to fix that (but certainly open to ideas if anyone has any....). Well I gave it a little choke and she started on first kick (it's 35 degrees out by the way) . Warmed it up, oil is still flowing to head, so I adjusted the carb to get a good idle and she is running like a champ. In fact it has never run so good since I have had the bike. Very cool. Supposed to get into the high 40's tomorrow, so I may take her for a little spin and see what else I can break!
Thanks for the advice and help
Duncan
Vt Bullet

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 03:33:46 am
Glad to hear you got it running. :)

It also sounds like your coming up with some creative ways of getting around your bikes problems.

Let's hope your ride tomorrow goes off without a hitch. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:37:16 pm
Good thing you found that!

Not to be a worry-wart, but that pump drive spindle also runs the feed pump, and if your rockers were starved out, then it's a pretty good bet that there was some oil starvation at the rod bearing too.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Dhastings1954

• 98 bullet Deluxe
  • Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 02:10:11 pm
Thanks for the tip Ace. I was wondering about the big end bearings. Everything sounds good. Is this something I should just keep my eyes (and ears) open for and see how it plays out?

My bike sat for almost two years; long story. When I started it up I did not drain oil or change filter. Given the condition of the rocker assemblies (especially the intake valve) i suspect i might have had a combination of poorly functioning oil pump and clogged oil lines. My guess is the worm gear was worn  before I stored it and maybe it stripped out when I got it running again. If that is possible, then the main bearing might not have been starved for oil too long.

Will that bearing get some lubrication from oil splash in the crankcase?

Back in the mid 70's I had a 1949 Matchless 500 single. What a great bike that was. In fact that is why I was attracted to the Bullet. Sad story on that bike. It had a oil tank and remote lines back to the tank. Riding routine was to start it up, take the cap off the tank and see if the oil was running back in. Well, one morning, after a long party the night before......I hopped on started it up and headed down the road. 10 minutes into the ride and doing about 50, she seizes up, just like that. I pull on the clutch lever and manage to get to the side of the road without crashing. I'm 2 1/2 hours from home, so I hitchhike back leaving the bike on the side of the road. Can't borrow a pickup until next day and when I go back, no bike.....and that was the last I ever saw of that little beauty. Wish I had it today.
Duncan
Vt Bullet

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 02:39:16 pm
All you can really do is just go along as you are, and listen for a bearing knock in the future.

The Bullet has a dry sump, with a feed pump and scavenge pump, and there isn't really any oil in there to be slung around, unless it was coming in thru the feedways and the crank first.

I wouldn't really worry too much about it, now that the oil pump drive is back in operation. You're at where you are at now. The truth is that the sooner you can get in there to put decent bearings and better con-rod and piston into the bottom end, the better off you will be.
These are the weakest parts of the Bullet, and it is all well-known for many years now.

Home of the Fireball 535 !