Author Topic: To K&N or not  (Read 3171 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 06:22:46 pm
I like mine.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 01:33:51 am
Changed to a K&N a few months ago and have to say the overall performance is slightly improved. I keep it well oiled with K&N's red stuff , but not over-oiled. I had not replaced the OEM paper filter as I had always been able to keep it clear with a regular reverse blast of compressed air. As most of my previous machines had been free breathing with nothing to restrict them filling their lungs or emptying them for that matter I find the K&N quite satisfactory . Bought the one I have from a supplier in Lebec, CA only to find I pass their store a couple of times most months.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 06:31:47 am
Installed mine about 1500 kms ago, and have had no problems, or fuel mileage decrease. I do think the performance has improved.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 07:47:01 am
I had problems with the paper oem filter getting contaminated with engine oil and clogging. I don't get engine oil in the airbox with the k&n even if the crankcase is a tad overfilled.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 04:14:00 am
I'm new here, and this is only my second post, but I couldn't resist when I saw those infamous letters K&N. I am a professional auto mechanic and amateur drag racer (cars). K&N filters (if you can even call them filters) are race only parts. I use one on my race car, which was built and tuned for as much airflow as possible, but I would never even consider using one on a street vehicle, car or bike. Not only do they flow a lot more air, and totally mess up your air/fuel mixture, but they also flow about 10 times more dirt than most stock filters. It the closest you can get to running without a filter. Many racers refer to them as KILL your engine NOW filters. For some reason people think if they install a few race parts on their street vehicle it will be faster or something. But even if it was, it would not be worth the drastic decrease in engine life caused by using K&N filters.

Uni makes a pretty decent filter, I have used them on dirtbikes. I soak them in engine oil, and clean and reoil them after every days riding. But for long engine life, unless you plan on doing a lot of cleaning and oiling, nothing beats a stock filter.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 02:59:27 pm
Suitcasejefferson:  I won;t argue that point..It makes sense either way..K&N breathes easier but you increase the amount of contamination...I still have the stock filter in a box somewhere..I installed my K&N 8 years ago and clean/oil it once a year. I'm only average 1-2k a year anyway but some of the guys are averaging 8-10k  a year and I suspect maintain their filters more often...
Ace fabricated a cylinder shape air chamber that used a paper filter for filtration and seem to get good results..Not sure if he's still doing it gig anymore...
On my vehicles I use just stock filters period and just changed them per the manufacturer spec...
I'm not a big fan of aftermarket bolt on stuff anyway but their are occasion like the Jardine oil relocation kit that comes in handy when changing the oil on my yamaha. I wonder if the oil flow is affected even minimally by that contraption?  Welcome to the board ....GM
Oh Magoo you done it again