Author Topic: bad low fuel icon  (Read 2388 times)

realoldfart

• Scooter
on: November 20, 2012, 04:00:35 am
Hey, you guys;
  I bought my G5 Bullet Classic in Dec., '10 and the low fuel icon light started glowng full-time 6 months later. I now have about 7,500 miles on the bike and it's running ssssooo good it's almost scary...other than that stupid little light.
  The warranty is running out soon and I don't want to take it the - roughly - 240 mile round-trip to the new dealer Fremont just for such a minor thing. Anybody out there know how easy/hard it is to change out the sending unit that's very likely causing this problem? Rather than drive all that way, I could just order the part and install it myself, if-if it's not all that difficult.
  Thank you, and hope you're having as much fun with your Enfield as I am with mine!
                                  Wayne in Santa Rosa, CA

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 04:58:08 am
Call the dealer, tell them what's up.  They may get you the part under warranty and let you install it.

It screws right out, screws right in.  You will need to drain the tank but that's all.

Scott

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:47:10 pm
hey wayne...i met you on the all brit ride.
i'd call them and see what they say. there is also the dealer in santa cruz but that is probubly farther.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 05:55:16 pm
You don't even need to drain your tank if you take it off in a not-full condition and set the tank on it's nose, you can R&R the float with no problem.
Be careful when you tighten it back up. Just tight enough to start crushing the Oring. You can tighten it enough to twist the threads off. You don't want to do that.
You might want to just pull the float out before you get a new one. You may be able to determine what's wrong with it and fix it. There isn't too much to them. It sounds like your float is stuck down. Perhaps just cleaning it would fix it.
Bare
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:42:31 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

realoldfart

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 04:01:09 am
  I thank all you sincerely for your advice about my malfunctioning low-fuel sender, but one of the things I need to know is, where the hell is it??!!
  It sounds like an easy fix, but I need to know what to unscrew to get it out.
  Thanks again; I do appreciate the help.
                             Wayne in Santa Rosa, CA

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 06:52:41 am
Right side of the tank near the seat, big black plastic nut with so series coming out.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 04:42:07 am
  I thank all you sincerely for your advice about my malfunctioning low-fuel sender, but one of the things I need to know is, where the hell is it??!!
  It sounds like an easy fix, but I need to know what to unscrew to get it out.
  Thanks again; I do appreciate the help.
                             Wayne in Santa Rosa, CA

Fuel sensor is on the right side of fuel tank - on its underside
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:02:09 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 06:26:09 pm
Singhg5 -

I'm going to go out on a limb after calling you out on your fuel line, and try to get back in your good graces by complimenting you on your coffee pot...

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 11:59:51 pm
Something funny happened to me on my way home, yesterday. The light of the LFS started flashing on the rhythm of the vibrations, 1980's disco-style. Mind you with over 10ltrs (2.5plus gls) in the tank. At home, put on the centerstand and revved to vibration (ca 3800-4000rpm)... yep, disco again.
Checked the LFS: it sits tight and snug, fuel tank rock steady.
After 10,000 miles of smooth riding I'm being bugged by high frequency vibrations in the pegs, that's for over a month now. Bolts and nuts probed to exhaustion to no avail; bsa-trick done, no relief.
As the engine sounds fine not too overly concerned, just annoyed by the unpleasant feeling. But this flashing is not to my liking, never been into disco. Not 8).
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 12:22:52 am
Look along the electrical lines from the sensor, especially near the frame backbone and any sharp brackets.  I suspect you have a wire that's just starting to break through the insulation.  When it gets jiggled by the vibrations it makes and breaks contact.  Probably not the end of the world for the LFS but what's right next to it may be more important.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 12:57:56 am
Ducati Scotty

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. It was right on the money.
Couldn't wait for daylight so dived right in with head torch.
The wire was stuck and bend in a sharp and awkward way. As of yet no damage to the insulation, but that would not have taken long. Probably the wire inside held out.
I'm confident that tomorrow's ride in the light of day will confirm this caused the disco. Mm, I'll sleep well tonight.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 02:28:31 am
Confirmed.
Did a 40 mile run. LFS never came on. Problem solved.
Never forget it's a rule of three: mechanical, electrical, magical. ;)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 01:24:15 pm
The low fuel sensor comes out of the tank with some reddish goop on the threads.  What is it?  Should I use some, or something like it, when I reinstall the sensor?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 05:06:04 pm
@matt:   Are they sending you a new tank, or, are you shipping it off for badge repair ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 07:26:09 pm
The low fuel sensor comes out of the tank with some reddish goop on the threads.  What is it?  Should I use some, or something like it, when I reinstall the sensor?

I used Permatex High Tack gasket sealant on mine.
Be very careful when you screw the sender back in. Tighten it just enough to get the Oring seated. If you over tighten it, you can break the threaded part off the hex nut base. The threads will keep going up the hole and the base stops, pulling the two sections apart!
Check with your dealer and see if the part is warranteed. There is a line in the warranty section that says electrical parts aren't! I'm not sure what that covers or doesn't cover. At any rate, covered or not your dealer might just mail it to you. He may need the other one back if it's warranteed. The item is about $26.00 if you have to buy it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com