Author Topic: Question from a beginner  (Read 6909 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 06:31:06 pm
The EFI has a three piece ring on top, but you can still put it in with your just your hands and a little grease.  It is a pain to deal with but easy enough once you've done it.  If I had to do it again I'd probably get the nice ring compressor NField Gear sells.

Scott

Bradschroeder

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 12:29:04 am
Also, as essentially a new rider (actually an old rider who rode 25 years ago), I recently bought a new 2011 Bullet Deluxe.

I like it very much in terms of looks and ease of riding, but I am hedging now and thinking I may have been better off with a no-brainer water cooled Japanese bike. I am losing sleep over the fact that I may not have broken it in properly. I would point out that these require a very disciplined break-in period, being very smooth with shifting and paying close attention to speed (as all bikes really are, but I think these are more critical). Also, another thing that might put you off is the sound the bike makes - the large single cylinder sounds and feels rough, but according to my dealer mechanic, this is normal. Another consideration is that it is an air cooled bike. I, unfortunately live downtown in a very large city with much traffic and lots of idling - I am a little worried about over idling.

On the positive side, it is affordable and insurance, even in Toronto, Canada, is affordable. It is a very nice bike to cruise on. Once you get on a nice road, it is very cool.

I would not, however do it over again. I say, go with Japanese for your first, buy one of these later.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 12:48:10 am
Another consideration is that it is an air cooled bike. I, unfortunately live downtown in a very large city with much traffic and lots of idling - I am a little worried about over idling.

By all accounts the oil in both the UCE and the Iron bullet tends to run a bit on the cool side so idling in neutral is probably not a huge issue.

The thing to actually watch out for is lugging as it is very tempting with a big single to accelerate and climb hills in a very high gear at low revs to get a nice "thumper" feel.  The bikes have plenty of torque and it sounds great. Unfortunately low revs means low oil pressure which is fine when idling but is definitely not fine under heavy load.

Bradschroeder

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 01:28:49 am
Very good to know regarding the idling, and thinking about it, these are ridden in India at 35 degrees c and higher temps, so they must be quite resilient.

The advice about lugging is great as well, but I wish they would stress this in the manuals. A new rider would read "Don't over-rev" and may not consider the bad points about bogging the engine down.

I still think this is a high learning curve for a new rider. But, it will probably make you a better rider in the end in paying more attention to the engine.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 03:53:11 am
These bikes sit in traffic in Delhi.  Chances are neither the temperature nor the traffic in your hometown are that bad, don't worry so much.

Don't worry too much about break in either.  These bikes are way less critical than the older styles.  There are lots of people on this forum and while I can think of two or three bikes that had serious engine problems (all fixed under warranty) no one else has mentioned a catastrophic meltdown.  If it were that critical you'd see many more self destucts, and we don't.  Pretty bulletproof really. 

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 03:54:56 am
For what it's worth I've ridden my 500cc G5, in 108-112 degree F (42.2-44.4 degree C) temps many times in traffic here in Phoenix, Az without any signs of overheating.

I try to avoid being stopped at traffic lights but that isn't always possible.

I've noticed that the temperature in New Delhi is very similar to Phoenix and the traffic and average speed is worse and I have yet to read that there has been a problem with these bikes.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 11:19:26 pm
The biggest problem with the UCEs is that they don't get hot enough sometimes! I haven't seen an overheated one yet.
I checked my oil temp riding up a long hill in mid-60s weather and it just made 180oF
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 06:24:46 am
Believe me you, these UCE engines are very robust.
What is failing on them are components, all because of lack of quality control at RE.

So even if you ride it, as if you stole it. It will be fine. And do not worry about it getting hot, it has a pretty powerful oil pump that pumps about 9-10 litres of oil per minute. Follow this link for more information
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V_rP88YEP0

Bradschroeder

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 10:55:58 pm
Lots of great feedback. I feel a bit better about my choice now. I hope all of this has helped the original poster of the question - it certainly has helped me.

Thanks a lot.

Blackcat360

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 10:52:25 pm
Thanks for all the replies.

I am currently waiting impatiently for a UCE bike within my price range or a winning lotto ticket.  ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 11:25:55 pm
You'll be able to get your best deals soon.  January and February are slow months for moto shops.  You can make good deals those months, and come March through May most shops will also deal a bit on last year's models.  They'll discount 2012 models as soon as the 2013 models role in.  If they were the same price no one would buy last year's model.  There's no major difference for RE so that's when to shop.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 01:33:13 am
..........I am currently waiting impatiently for a ..... winning lotto ticket.  ;D

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 01:45:58 am
The winning tickets are more expensive after the lotto drawing. I can sell you some loosing tickets for a decent price.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 03:18:47 am
I'm going to break from the crowd on this one.  Of the three choices, I would recommend the Suzuki GS500.  While I truly enjoy my Royal Enfield C5 around town, I don't like it for highway speeds.  The Suzuki GS500, while lacking in style, has proven itself since its introduction around 1990 to be a bullet proof solid performing motorcycle.  Parts are readily available from a large dealer network and are supported well in the aftermarket and on Ebay.  The bike uses modern tire sizes with modern tread patterns.  At 47-52hp depending on the year, highway riding is not an issue.  Purchase prices on the used market are roughly $1500-3500 depending on year and mileage.  If I was a young guy looking for a reliable 500cc first bike to last and do everything, the Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki Ninja 500 would be my top choices. 

As a mid-40's guy who likes to ride around town and has the flexibility to wait for parts and filters, the Royal Enfield is a fun, comfortable ride.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 06:11:11 am
+1.  While no speed demon and a bit short on style the GS500 is a dead solid bike, basic and simple.  The Ninja 500 is a little more pricey but also water cooled and a little more sophisticated. More style but a bit dated now.

Scott