Author Topic: Random Car Repair Question  (Read 1697 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 19, 2012, 04:37:18 pm
I need to replace a front stabilizer link on my 2005 Subaru Forester. It's a 4" metal bar with a cap, boot, and bolt on each end that simply attaches to two places. OEM replacements sell online for $15.

It seems totally straightforward, but is there some reason I should pay a professional to do it?

Thanks,

Jeff

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:44:59 pm
I personally wouldn't pay a professional to replace a sway bar end link on a Subaru but I didn't pay a mechanic to replace the timing belt on my 2007 Subaru either, I just bought the parts and replaced it myself.
 Usually something like a sway bar end link is as simple as any work you would ever do on your Enfield.
 you probably would have to loosen up or detach the sway bar on both ends and remove the bad link and install the new and tighten everything up.

Damon
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:10:19 pm
Sometimes you need a ball joint tool to get them off.    ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 11:53:03 am
If you get the part sold and installed by your local Sub dealer there would be a warranty of some sort associated with it, whereas over the counter/ internet part sales would not.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:23:01 pm
Simple process, just 2 nuts at each link. That's the good news. The bad news is that some manufacturers don't provide any means to stop the ball from turning (don't know about Subaru). Almost all cars use some form of locking/interference fit nuts. Not trying to put you off but a good air chisel and impact gun plus 40yrs of experience turns this job into a cakewalk! Just saying. 8) 8) 8).
Robert & REnfield.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 01:26:47 pm
Thanks for these replies. My uncle, a mechanic, doesn't think I should do it myself because the bolts often freeze and have to be cut with a blowtorch. I'm going to try it anyway, and if I can't get it, then I'll take it to a pro. It's only $15.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 06:17:44 pm
Get some Liquid Wrench to loosen those bolts.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 06:48:37 pm
You can attach a baggie around the nut (with duct tape), fill it with penetrating oil and let it soak for a day or so.  That often works wonders.  Otherwise, heat & breaker bars are your friend. You might wind up shearing the bolt off before the nut breaks loose though.  Oh, also make sure you clean the visible threads with a wire brush or wheel.  It'll make things much easier once it breaks free.

Sometimes I'm thankful my vehicles are all a bit leaky... keeps those nuts free!