Author Topic: That damn sprag clutch again!  (Read 5780 times)

KB8ANY

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 07:45:11 pm
Neither the type of lubrication nor the ignition mapping have anything to do with the sprag clutch failing.  It fails because of the zillions of small "kickbacks" when it is in there, mostly because of the drag it imposes on the crankshaft.

It should take about 30 minutes to take it out, and then about 20 to put everything back together.  If you use an air or electric impact wrench, you don't have to immobilize the drive train.  (I got a cheap-o electric 1/2 drive one for $19.95.)

You will need the gaskets.  The first time you take these off you will probably have to replace them - from then on, if you just scrape the mating surfaces with a razor blade, you can keep using them over and over.

If you just take out the starter, the offending component is still in there, and in it's present condition (if indeed it is the problem) it will drag on the crankshaft, causing running problems like hard starting and stalling out.  I speak from experience.

You have told us that there were already loose pieces in the primary drive.  If you wait to see whether any more come loose you may regret it.

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 03:20:42 am
Good job Doc. You are now a member of the "Ditch that damn Sprag" club. I removed mine from my iron barrell bullet 65. You are now enjoying a bike that has better balance and is lighter. If the bike is fairly well tuned, kicking it to start is pretty simple. I stop for gas and then it's the kick routine. You'd be surprised at how many onlookers check you out to see if you can do it. Some seem disappointed if it starts the first kick.

I give em a nothing to it look and ride off. Get lots of queries about - - - do they still make em like that? I assure them that they do.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.