Author Topic: slipping clutch  (Read 3580 times)

mypvtidho

• Scooter
on: November 16, 2012, 12:33:19 am
2006 500 bullet. 8,000 miles. Clutch slipping in 3rd when hitting the power band. Unknown history. I just got the bike.
I've lubed the cable and tried adjusting the cable so there is at leasr half an inch of lever free play. Still slips. ATF in chain cover at proper level. Anything else to try before replacing clutch?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:46:14 am
Did you adjust the clutch on the gear box? Not the cable. It's behind the 5 speed access panel on the gear box. Search the forum, you find a number of threads on it.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

mypvtidho

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 04:40:41 pm
Have not cracked the inspection covers yet. Had forgotten mention of those. Will try that next day off.

mypvtidho

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 04:43:53 pm
And yes I searched the forum for an answer, but I am not very good at that. Much better with a hammer and welder.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:19:38 pm
And yes I searched the forum for an answer, but I am not very good at that. Much better with a hammer and welder.

See if this link helps explain a little more: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,2907.msg29879.html#msg29879
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

mypvtidho

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 05:04:17 pm
That is magic. Yes it helped. Thanks
Manual on order.

mypvtidho

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 05:32:22 pm
Clutch working perfectly now. Backed off adjuster underneath the "5 speed" plate. It was too snug. I was a little timid at first as I could not find procedure pictures with this exact cover. I did find pictures of the 3 bearing actuater part and it all made sense.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 02:35:42 am
Glad to hear that worked for you. I'm no expert, but I did the same things your doing about 7 months ago.

Enjoy the RE!
2006 AVL Electra

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 06:47:44 am
2006 500 bullet. 8,000 miles. Clutch slipping in 3rd when hitting the power band.

You got a power band! Which page of the catalogue are those listed on? Got to get me one too.  ;D

The clutch is marginal to handle the power of a stock bike. Any minor performance upgrades (after market exhaust and re-jet) requires stronger springs.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

mypvtidho

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 02:55:37 pm
I don't think the clutch is as marginal as you believe. Otherwise they would burn out everytime a sidecar was used.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 08:12:23 pm
My experience is of the four speed classic clutch set up on a machine with the usual carb/exhaust upgrades.

The overall clutch assembly is rugged enough but I haven't been able to get away with stock springs. I got by with new stock springs for a few thousand miles after I put in good quality Surflex plates, but in the end, I had to substitute three heavy rate springs for three of the originals. The clutch never slips now but the hand lever action is quite heavy.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 11:19:04 pm
My experience is of the four speed classic clutch set up on a machine with the usual carb/exhaust upgrades.

The overall clutch assembly is rugged enough but I haven't been able to get away with stock springs. I got by with new stock springs for a few thousand miles after I put in good quality Surflex plates, but in the end, I had to substitute three heavy rate springs for three of the originals. The clutch never slips now but the hand lever action is quite heavy.

I too bought the Surflex friction plates. They are far superior to the stock plates. They are heavily segmented with a large contact area. Possibly double the friction surface of the 5 spd plate pack. I also have a blueprinted clutch basket that has been relined with an upgrade friction material. The stock clutch is definitely a weak point that most likely is caused by a lack of quality control. Some have ongoing issues where others don't seem to have any or very few. If owners have ongoing problems I would strongly suggest starting from scratch. I would have the clutch basket blue printed or buy a miracle clutch, then add a set of Surflex or Barnett friction plates along with a known trued set of steel plates and the three heavy springs. This should be about bulletproof for a stock or lightly modded Bullet.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII