Author Topic: Chain Adjustment - Right side snail jumping the pin?  (Read 4913 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 09:18:13 pm
@GHG
I see a clearer picture now....this means I have to get the chain guard off...and that would mean I have to take the right side shock off as well, as the chain guard is connected to the shock.....

Sorry, I forgot I no longer have that big arse fender back there. ::) But no.... you don't have to remove the shock. Only loosen the lower nut of it a bit. And take out the two other bolts to remove the chain guard. If I remember correctly.... they were 10 or 12 mm headed ? .... That part of the chain guard that is secured under the shock stud is forked.

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 10:37:00 pm
I just did this procedure on my 06 iron as I just installed a new chain...What I found is to be sure you check that the bronze spacers (aka: distance collars)  are put on correctly..One side is larger than the other (just a large looking washer)...The other thing was that the 30 mm Thin nut that goes on first tightens the hub assembly  and the outer castle nut with split pin pulls/tightens the rear long spindle (essentially securing the rear chain/hub/brake to the rear frame assembly..For what its worth, it seems to be that one nut in unison with the rear hub spindle that secures the tire and associated hardware to the rear frame..The split pin prevents the castle nut from backing off  and falling off (not a good thing to happen)...As a matter of fact I have to readjust the chain as it's a bit too tight. One notch down should do the trick as sitting on the bike only makes it tighter (u might want someone close to your weight to sit on the bike as you verify your chain adjustment)...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 10:41:38 pm
 Better pic of C-5 chain guard showing all three mounting tabs....

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 11:24:38 pm
@gashousegorilla
May I inquire why you removed the chain guard?
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 12:24:16 am
@gashousegorilla
May I inquire why you removed the chain guard?

Didn't fit the bike IMHO.........