Author Topic: Bike wouldn't start in the cold this morning...  (Read 9760 times)

jonico61

• La Balita Roja: 2011 Electra 500cc EFI
  • Scooter
  • Riding the Bull in Spain
Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 02:53:14 pm
New battery, definitely. My stock battery only lasted a year, died in the 30º winter here. I bought a new battery with a few more amps to it, re-rigged the battery frame holder since it was ever so slightly bigger (damn!) but haven't a had a problem ever since.
2011 Bullet Electra 500cc EFI
www.abulleteerinspain.blogspot.com

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 07:15:32 pm
New battery, definitely. My stock battery only lasted a year, died in the 30º winter here. I bought a new battery with a few more amps to it, re-rigged the battery frame holder since it was ever so slightly bigger (damn!) but haven't a had a problem ever since.

Out of curiosity, what did you do to the battery holder?  I've been thinking of putting a stack of washers on the bolts behind mine because the battery the dealer gave me hits the frame and the cover won't go on.   ???

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 06:13:30 pm
To avoid the lurch fan the clutch a few times with the engine running and the bike in neutral before you put it in gear.

Scott

FWIW, I can fan the clutch lever 'till the cows come home, but it doesn't free up the stuck clutch plates.  The best method for me is the pre-start hold clutch in / kick lever method (I have a kick start lever).  It doesn't come easy.  In warmer days, I could use the push bike with clutch in method, but now that it's cold, it's too hard.  The engine turns, or the back wheel drags...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 06:32:35 pm
If it's gotten that drastic, start it on the center stand, pull the clutch and put it in gear, then drop it on the ground...That'll do it! :o
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 06:51:54 pm
Is that different than having the bike idling and putting it in gear?  When I do that, it stalls.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 11:58:45 pm
That sounds pretty harsh.  Is your clutch adjusted properly?  Does the bike have any shifting issues?  If yes and no, then I guess yours is just stickier than most.

Scott