Author Topic: Spark plug  (Read 1625 times)

CGP

• Scooter
on: November 16, 2012, 03:04:41 pm
Good morning: This may seem like a stupid question but I have a 2012 buillet classic and I would like to change the sprk plug but there is a metal boot or cover over the wire where it connects to the spark plug,can anyone tell me how to get it off it does not seem like it just pulls off.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:36:48 pm
GCP-

If your bike is like mine (2011 B5), that metal cover is part of the spark plug boot.  The top of the plug has the small threaded metal spindle exposed (when I replaced my OEM Bosch plug with the NGK, I had to unscrew and discard the smooth "hourglass"-formed adapter piece that came mounted on top of the new plug), and that metal cap slides on and grips the threads.  I just reach in, grip the metal cap, and pull it off.  You can hear and feel whatever grips that threaded spindle "dragging" on the threads as you remove the boot.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 06:01:42 pm
That metal cap end on the plug wire, is basically a Radio Frequency Shield, so other motorists radios won't pop in time with our ignition pulses, Mine was on very tight also, & I use a screw driver under the bottom lip to begin lifting it off the Plug. Bike will work fine if you choose to put on an old school plastic or rubber connector-but it's hard to reach the plug wire without the removing the tank. I'm keeping mine.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:53:47 pm
The cap has a spring steel wire that slides over the plug threads to keep it on. NGK BPR6ES is the plug to use. some people use 7s,and some use NGK iridium plugs. about $3 for the 6 or 7ES, The iridiums run about $9. My 6ES ($3) has been working well for 14,000 miles.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com