Author Topic: Replacing Gearbox End Cover  (Read 1560 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 11, 2012, 04:19:11 am
Since the wife is out on the town with her friends, leaving me stuck at home with the kids, I thought I'd write up my process for replacing the gear box end cover in case anyone searches for it in the future.

Attentive readers will remember my riveting escapades with a stripped oil fill hole that popped the bolt in rural Oklahoma. At the time I thought all the oil had blown out, but in fact there was quite a lot that still needed to be drained.

Parts needed are the new cover, a new gasket, a new fill bolt, and the paper washer for the fill bolt. I never had that washer, which makes me wonder if that's why I initially stripped the fill hole (it was too easy).

• Remove the bottom plug to drain the gear oil.
  • Remove the kicker and the 5-speed plate.
  • Remove all the fastening screws around the cover.
  • Remove the cover. It was difficult to take this off because it didn't want to budge. At one point I was trying to figure out what to do with the conduit that guides the clutch cable into the box, and pulled the clutch so I could watch the action through the hole. That caused the cover to pop out significantly. I was then able to get my fingers inside the gap and work it off.
  • Remove the clutch actuating arm from its mounting point inside the end cover (the three allen screws shown at the base of the arm).

• Remove the clutch cable from the actuating arm. First, use needle nose pliers to bend the retention tab at the cable tip so that it's flush with the housing. This allows you to push the cable in a little and slide it out of the slot.

• Remove the clutch cable guide and the cable from the end cover.
  • Insert the clutch cable guide and the cable into the new end cover. Try to put it at the same depth it had been on the original end cover.
  • Insert the cable cap into the actuating arm.
  • Use a needle nose plier to bend the retention tab back down over the cable tip.
  • Screw the actuating arm base onto its mounting point inside the new end cover (three allen screws).
  • Remove the old gasket from around the gear box and replace it with the new one. The opened gear box end looks like this.

• Attach the new end cover, being careful to tighten the screws in an opposing sides pattern. As when mounting the wheel of a car, the end cover pivots on the central axis of the kicker spindle, which means that when you tighten one side, the other can loosen.
  • Screw in the drain plug.
  • Add gear oil to the box.
  • Attach the 5-speed plate and the kicker.
  • Place the paper washer on the fill bolt and insert into cover (be careful not to strip it).
  • Go for a ride to see if the clutch cable needs adjusting. Adjust as necessary

I haven't yet completed the last step because my 3-year-old son and I had a man date to a Skippyjon Jones themed birthday party. At any rate, I hope this will be of some help to anyone who needs to undergo this process in the future.

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:31:08 am by jdrouin »

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:20:49 pm
Nice write-up, Jeff. Thanks!
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 05:42:10 pm
Great write-up.  We need more of these.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 06:51:07 pm
I think this is the first time I have seen a picture of that style actuator. Does anyone know the PN for it or the year they changed from the old style? I need to upgrade to the style in the photo. I am sure it will extend the life of the cable end.

Thanks for posting the pictures jdrouin.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 08:53:42 pm
I think that style was new with the 2007 (or 2005?) models. No idea on the part number. Ive already trashed the invoice and still have to order my shop manual.