Author Topic: False neutral for Electra X  (Read 7075 times)

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
on: May 26, 2008, 03:54:17 am
Has anyone experienced a "false" neutral between 3rd and 4th gear on an Electra? is this simply a quirk of my bike? I accept that the shifting is a little clunky on this bike but this shifting into neutral between 3rd and 4th at speed is somewhat annoying!

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 02:23:39 pm
I only have 400 miles on my BLB but there have been no consistant problems with the transmission.  The only time I miss a gear seems to be when my attention is elsewhere and my technique is "lazy".

Jerry

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 04:09:00 pm
I've had mine jump out of gear in 4th, I find I have to be more aware of shifting.. and it is somewhat annoying

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 04:24:14 pm
You need to change with a posative movement . Most old British bikes are the same.  As you say its a lazy change.   If your used to driving Japanese stuff a lazy change is easily developed.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 04:36:16 pm
     Make sure the left pedal is even with the right. Raise it if it's not. Lower the shifter one spline. This has fixed every shifting problem I've had with the 5-speed.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 06:00:23 pm
I strongly agree. The first adjustments I made was to lower the brake and clutch levers to be more comfortable and lower the shift lever one spline. Shifts have since been buttery smooth and my only problem has been the occasional "hunt" for neutral.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 11:08:17 pm
i've got my shifter as low as I can get it..  what with my size 12 shoe..any lower i cqn't get my toe under it

tony_s

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:04:56 am
I"ve done that a couple times between 3rd and 4th since I picked up by BLB last week.  My problem is just getting impatient and not waiting for that satisfying click.

I think I will try adjusting things as suggested this weekend (while I'm down there cleaning the rubber off the exhaust pipe next to the brake pedal).

-Tony

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 04:23:48 pm
Thanks everyone, I'll try lowering the shifter and see how that works.

Bill

shrugger

• Chinese symbols for "Serenity"
  • Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:03:26 pm
I'm at 200 miles. Seems to miss going into gear from 5th to 4th with a positive downshift. ???
No problem if I press it gently and feel for it though. I do find this to be mildly annoying.
Could this be associated with the left shift linkage?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:06:04 pm by shrugger »
2008 Bullet 500 Classic AVL

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 02:28:26 pm
Thanks, lowering the shifter one spline worked like a charm. I did notice after reading the posts prior to lowering it that it did seem like a reach for my left foot (at least compared to my other bikes).

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 06:04:50 pm
Just one more thought on shifting.
This morning on my ride I had several false neutrals. I hadn't had since I got the bike 1875 miles ago. The difference was I wore my riding Kochman riding boots. I don't wear them all the time, mostly on trips. It made me remember other bikes where this problem cropped up. Just a thought. Try a different pair of shoes/boots see if there is a difference. I just had to adjust the way I shifted today and no other problems.

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 03:13:51 am
     Make sure the left pedal is even with the right. Raise it if it's not. Lower the shifter one spline. This has fixed every shifting problem I've had with the 5-speed.

Vince,

I am not sure about how the linkage works internally but I don't see how changing pedal or shifter height would correct a downshift problem. My 08 RE misses on the 5th to 4th gear downshift about 3 of 10 times. If I upshift after it goes to "neutral" it will engage 4th gear at that point. I have experienced this condition with both quick toe strikes and slow deliberate pressing of the shifter peg.

Is there any other adjustment available to try and correct neutral downshifts?

Humid in the Ozarks,

Ed

Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 10:16:10 am
Howdy everyone. I just read a post regarding the shifting on the classic site. We use the same trans. The RE has a somewhat unique transmission. Ratchet shifting is the thing. Kick the shifter up into the next gear. Do not worry about going to far, it will only select the next highest gear. Something about the ratchet action. Also, hold the shifter until you let out the clutch and seems to eleviate the occasional jumping out of gear. This is supposedly old school brit-bike advic and I am looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. I couldn't bring myself to really bring the shifter up to hard today but what is the worst that could happen? No worse than the many missed shifts.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 12:15:52 pm
I wouldn't get too excited about missing a few shifts and finding false neturals unless you are still having a problem after 2-3 thousand miles.  My Sixty-5 (same box) acted the same way when new and now I seldom think about it.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 03:33:43 pm
     Most of the problems go away when your foot and shifting technique become calibrated to the bike.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 02:45:39 am
Think British, think British.  Slow and deliberate, jap/german bikes half shift for you.  Here you have to be deliberate. 
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

prthomas

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 09:46:28 am
Never had a downshift problem, always been an upshift one between 4th. and 5th.However, after doing  the first service and draining the gearbox oil I put in Silkolene 80W-90. False neutral vanished. I suppose any 80W-90 high performace hypoid gear oil will do. But I easily find a neutral between 1st. and 2nd. without the little green neutral indicator ...very irritating when stopped at traffic lights. If I switch off the engine and tip the gear lever..lo and behold the green light comes on.Hmmm!
Peter RT
prthomas

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 05:27:14 pm
I did 2300 miles with just about constant False Neutrals which were ruining my enjoyment of the bike as they always happened on downshift approaching a tight corner.  Searching these forums I realized my technique was crap.  As they say, match the revs and hold the gear lever up or down until after you release the clutch. My 3rd and 4th don't actually engage until I have just about released the clutch and I can feel it sliding in.

Haven't had a false neutral in the last 300 miles now... 

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 06:07:24 pm
... Ratchet shifting is the thing. Kick the shifter up into the next gear. Do not worry about going to far, it will only select the next highest gear. Something about the ratchet action...

I think you're absolutely right.  I sometimes get lazy on the shift and just give it a little bump, but that's when I'll find false neutral or it will shortly pop out of gear.  It takes some getting used to, but it really does seem to shift smoother and find the right gear better when you put some good solid force in your shift. 
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 04:51:40 am
It is my personal opinion that allowing false neautrals will set the way for the future of the gearbox.  British Jap what ever all geaboxes have there own little ways.

You must find what she likes and give it to her.   Loading the gear lever and dip the clutch sometime works on some but dont allow false neautrals.

The British had a rotating plate selection assembly and the Japs came up with the drum selector.

Ive not done my Re gearbox yet and hop I dont have to for many years yet but looking at the manual it seams to be a plate.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member