Author Topic: Thunderbird 500  (Read 6470 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 07:58:17 pm
If they went with the UCE top ends would they also go with hydraulic lifters?  Would you want to?

Kinda makes me want to by a cheap sportster and stuff one of those bad boys in there just to mess with people :)  "But...  I thought... What is that?!?"

Scott

This Musket crankcase design doesn't have pressurized oil feeds to the tappets, so it will never have hydraulic tappets.

But I could go either way, as far as my preferences. I'm not opposed to hydraulic tappets, and I know how to get them to work their best in a performance application.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 08:03:33 pm
I dont mind adjusting tappets. Its easy and you dont have to do it a lot. Carb tuning, at least where I live with a 30-35 degree diurnal swing, is not fun. I'd vote for UCE top end, or any top end with EFI.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 08:38:30 pm
Will the UCE top end give any major boost in power? I did see a couple of AVLs here with UCE top end and also an Iron barrel G2 350 with UCE Top end.

I didn't have that much guts to experiment that on mine :(

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 08:52:43 pm
Will the UCE top end give any major boost in power? I did see a couple of AVLs here with UCE top end and also an Iron barrel G2 350 with UCE Top end.

I didn't have that much guts to experiment that on mine :(
No. No power increase.
But there could be some power improvement if this guy Ace ever gets his UCE mods done!
:^)

And the Fireball Iron Barrel kits will bolt right on as it is. The only problem is that we haven't seen if the clutch and driveline will be successful at holding all the power we are going to run thru it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 04:55:49 am
A little visual of Thunderbird 500 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vMQywDpcXU
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 11:22:12 am
Hello Singhg5   
I had given up hope of this post ever getting back to the Thunderbird.    The other thing I didn't mention about it which is pretty amazing is that it has a whole new beefed up triple tree and 41 mm forks for much greater front end stability.  from ride reviews I have read, this , even with the "ape hanger bars" gives better cornering feel and stability than RE traditionals.  I really think they have knocked the ball out of the park here, while still using the UCE and same basic frame.  Conservative and innovative at the same time.  I hope they bring it here.  500 + km on a single tank with upright riding position (and kick start)  , the reliable UCE, dual disc brakes , nifty lights, ----WOW  ....  OK  I'll grant it is not a "retro" , but WOW anyway:   At least as interesting as the new Honda 250 single cylinder high miler, and a whole lot nicer to look at.   There is no reason in my mind that this model couldn't carve out a whole new market right here in N.A. (not to mention Europe ) Nigel.   

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 01:48:29 pm
At present the Thunderbird is NOT slated for any export markets. The feeling is that it strays from the RE heritage too far for the export markets. I'd like to see it in the US but.....
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 04:40:18 pm
Hi Kevin ;  Didn't know you were "listening"  .
Just expressing  my opinion and enthusiasm.  Love RE and love what they are doing.  They are all great .  This one is just a step forward.  Ultimately forward is where things have to go, (even if that must  means some of the innovations spill over to the traditionals)..  I say Kudos to RE for this.  I hope they do really do well with it,  .....and maybe later rethink their marketing.  I don't see this as an " Indian " (or Indian/African) model,  I see it as a world model.  (imho as the phrase goes) .  Really , who in the real world needs 100 mph bikes.  A lot of people would appreciate the fuel mileage and range of these  however. Mark my words, as the economy continues to involute and gas prices keep going up, this is going to be right on the money.  And really, if Redditch had all the wherewithal  and technology to do this "in the day" don't you think they would have? If the British motorcyle industry had been more adaptive, we might have seen just this.       Nigel.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 11:22:55 pm
I like the bike myself. The fellow that did it is a nice young man. This is his first "bike" project. He has been doing bike design for a while with RE but they let him have his own pen for this one.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com