Author Topic: Valve & rocker wear.  (Read 13338 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 01:27:29 am
Thanks.

Getting back to LarsBloodbeard, did you find two of those things in there?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 01:56:30 am
There was nothing floating around inside the head.  Judging by the way it looks, I'm leaning towards the cap not being present.  Not sure how that could have happened though, unless it wasn't present from the time I got it back from the machinist.

I tore that head off in record time, but not quick enough to get to the shop before they close.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 02:18:31 am
If you have the tappet cover removed, you can look around inside the tappet galley to see if any lash cap is down in there. That's as far as it could drop, if it stayed in one piece.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 04:29:49 am
If you have the tappet cover removed, you can look around inside the tappet galley to see if any lash cap is down in there. That's as far as it could drop, if it stayed in one piece.

Checked there too.  Nada.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 12:53:20 pm
Just to satisfy my curiosity, and since the lash caps look just like what is in the photo on your intake valve, would you check to see if that is a cap on there, or not?
It should just pull right off with a pair of needle-nose pliers, without any damage.

If there are no lash caps anywhere to be found, then it was assembled without lash caps, and that's what caused it.

If there is a lash cap on the intake, and not on the exhaust, then that could be the reason why the exhaust failed. Or perhaps the exhaust lash cap broke apart. I have seen them severely damaged on the top before, but never actually coming apart. But it could happen.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 12:09:44 am
No cap on the intake valve!  Well,  that explains it.

I really thought they were on there, but i guess the patina on the stem fooled me.

Dhastings1954

• 98 bullet Deluxe
  • Scooter
Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 01:58:40 pm
Interesting problem. Just replaced the rocker assemblies in my bullet.  In my case I did not remove or replace the valve stem caps shown in the last picture. Did not look like there was much wear there and the rockers themselves did not have the same wear as shown in the picture for the exhaust valve.  In my case the rockers were not getting oil, so the bearing surface was completely worn out and the shafts had lateral movement. It certainly appears that the cap was simply issuing on the exhaust valve.

I am wondering now if I should have replaced the caps when I did my rocker assemblies?
Duncan
Vt Bullet

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 05:06:10 pm
If they looked ok with only light contact marks then I am sure the valve stem caps will be fine.

My experience is that the caps can be very difficult to remove once they have been run for a few thousand miles. I think the soft valve stem grows into them. The last two times, I have had to resort to taking out the retaining collets with the caps in place, letting valve spring pressure (and taps with a soft hammer) drive the caps off into a containing sack. No way could I get them off by just pulling on them, even though they did not have an excessively tight fit when I installed them.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 11:52:52 pm
Chas is correct on the caps last time I used a little heat and they came right off.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 08:15:35 am
Chas is correct on the caps last time I used a little heat and they came right off.   ERC

Well, I yanked on the end of that intake valve for a while with pliers, and tried to pry it from the side.  It hardly has any miles on it.  So it seems like there's no cap on there to me.  Odd that the intake would survive and not the exhaust though.  The intake valve is way softer metal than the exhaust.

Dhastings1954

• 98 bullet Deluxe
  • Scooter
Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 12:54:08 pm
What Chasfield said about the caps being hard to get off makes sense. Of course if you use heat to get the cap off, you run the risk of annealing the cap.

The picture sure looked like there was a cap on the intake and not on the exhaust. You have to wonder if the machine shop lost one of the caps or simply missed it when they put it back together.

Did they grind and re-seat the existing valves or replace everything?
Duncan
Vt Bullet

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 04:54:04 pm
I cleaned everything in the head and lapped the valves.  When I brought it in for assembly they said the seats were too wide, so I asked them to fix that.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 06:45:58 pm
Your eyes must be better than mine.

In the two pictures of the intake valve I think I clearly see the two split collars and the end of the valve stem?

I picture (in my mind) the stem cap as being a cylindrical disk that fits nicely into the pocket in the upper part of the valve spring retainer.
It should have a nicely ground finish on both faces.

IMO, if it were in place I wouldn't be able to see the end of the valve stem or the split collars but what do I know?   :D

You need to scroll to the top of the page and check out the valve in question.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 07:37:28 pm

When I made that observation I was speaking of the two pictures in the second post of this topic.  That is why I mentioned the two pictures of the intake valve.

There is no question that the valve cap is missing on the exhaust valve and, indeed, the entire stem end of the exhaust valve in the photo shown in the first post of this topic has been worn away.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 02:35:51 am
I cleaned everything in the head and lapped the valves.  When I brought it in for assembly they said the seats were too wide, so I asked them to fix that.

I think you will be able to rightfully expect them to "fix" your present problem  as well. Leaving the caps off qualifies as a legitimate liability I would think.
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up