Author Topic: Returning To Motorcycling And Thinking of Royal Enfield  (Read 6232 times)

Shavuotis

• Scooter
on: November 08, 2012, 01:38:23 am
Hello Everyone:  I am about to return to motorcycling after a 15 year absence from it.  I really want a Royal Enfield C5 in Desert Tan or OD Green.  I am not what you would call a mechanic.  But I want a bike I can service and work on myself.  I don't want to have to pay someone $$$$ per hour to do work and service I can do at home.  My question is this:  Are RE's easy to work on at home or do you need a mechanics degree.  I have owned several motorcycles in the past, one suzuki, two Kawasaki's, and a Honda.  I never did anything more than adjust the tappets on my Honda and change front end bearings on my Kawasaki.  Is an RE too much for a returning newbie?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks  :)

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:54:10 am
In my opinion it is an easy bike to work on. I can't recall how many bikes I've owned but this is one of the easiest to work on, the only exception may be some of the UJMs from the seventies.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:18:28 am
Regular service on a UCE bike like the C5 should normally consist of:
- adjust and lube the chain (10 minutes max)
- change engine oil and oil filter (30 minutes)
- check and tighten where necessary all important nuts and bolts including the spokes . (10 minutes)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 03:25:21 am
i think you will do it easy. my last bike was in 73 and i do all my own work on this one.
also great lot of blokes here - always willing to help with good advise.
buy the bike - you can't go wrong.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:02:27 pm
The tasks are simple, however, the skill required to do them is higher than anticipated.

example = stripped threads.

the RE uses a relatively soft aluminum casting for the engine, therefore, they use fine pitch threads to reduce the amount of torque required to properly clamp surfaces.

what does this mean to a tool noobie ?

It means :: stripped threads.

when you are tightening any of the fine thread screws on the bike you *MUST* use care not to overtighten.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:30:00 pm
Get a UCE that has a kickstart !!
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

Shavuotis

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 01:42:41 am
Thanks for all the input guys.  I really appreciate it.  Three more questions:  Have any new problems surfaced with the new UCE  EFI motors?   What tools would I need to do all the service and repair work on the bike?  I want to be able to learn with this bike and do any required work aside of specialty work like repairs that would require machining.   :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 03:13:19 am
As was mentioned, there is very little to do on the new UCE powered bikes.

You will probably want to get a complete set of metric wrenches and sockets because the RE nuts and bolts are made to the European standard.
Hex sizes like 13mm aren't common on the Japanese bikes but I've found several on my RE.

Although they are adequate for the job, some of the Indian steel fasteners aren't the greatest thing around and in many places the steel fastener/plug screws directly into cast aluminum.
Because of this I highly recommend buying a good torque wrench if you don't already have one.

The only machining I've had to do is to modify some of the aftermarket parts I've installed.
Apparently the idea of precision tolerancing and fit hasn't made it into the designs of some of these and I have yet to install something that didn't need a hole enlarged or elongated with a rat tail file to fit. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 06:00:42 am
Hi Shavuotis and welcome aboard.

Thanks for all the input guys.  I really appreciate it.  Three more questions:  Have any new problems surfaced with the new UCE  EFI motors? 
There was a recall in 2009 for a transmission problem but that was addressed and none have given trouble.

What tools would I need to do all the service and repair work on the bike?  I want to be able to learn with this bike and do any required work aside of specialty work like repairs that would require machining.   :)

Like the brothers said a decent set of euro-metric tools, nothing extravagant.  You probably have the rest of the stuff I.E. drain pans, tire pressure gauge etc.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 06:08:40 am
And we promise not to tell your wife when you buy new tools you "need" that you really don't need ;)

Aside from the usual wrenches, etc., this forum will be the most important tool you have.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 10:31:52 am
If you're expanding your stock of metric tools, you might want to consider adding the rear axle socket sizes needed to adjust the chain, which you'll be doing occasionally with the OEM one.  I don't recall the socket sizes - I don't have the sockets!  I've been using a big adjustable wrench and it's a PITA.  They're posted around here somewhere, or maybe somebody knows off the top of their head and can chime in...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 06:58:27 pm
Harbor Freight has a 3/4" socket set that goes from 19mm to 50mm for about $25. that will give you a socket to fit any of the large nuts on the Enfield, from Brake backing plate nuts to countershaft sprocket nuts. It includes a looong ratchet, a breaker bar and extensions. It's well worth the money.
Just don't get a hernia toting it around!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 08:08:32 pm
Does 50mm cover the large nut for the front sprocket?

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 08:50:44 pm
Yes, I think it's a 45 or 46MM. I forget now, but it's why I bought the set!
It would cost that much just to get the one socket from Sears or some other tool shop.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 08:56:23 pm
Just what I was thinking!