Author Topic: Surging  (Read 4586 times)

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 08:17:34 pm
IMHO, (yes i abbreviated!) no cat more soot and vice versa.
My 20p worth.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 01:08:56 am
......................with the Hitcock header, EFI Silencer & stock airfilter in place I went for a decent run yesterday with no issues............

Interesting .....  was the K&N one of those POD types that attach to the throttlebody,  or,  an oiled gauze replacement that fits in the stock airbox. ?

There is a whole other thread about the apparent evils of short intakes, the main point being to have a stored volume of filtered air that can readily fill the cylinder during the intake period.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 02:28:19 am
Hi guys, I have an issue where at approx quarter throttle and with no load on the engine there is surging present, I believe the correct term may be hunting?
Thanks in advance :-\

Surging is pretty much the correct term for bike engines. Hunting is more what older governor-controlled diesel engines would do when they couldn't get along with their old worn out governors. They would hunt for an RPM where both the throttle & the governor were happy. They'd oscillate up & down x number of rpm never quite being happy with each other.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

avandr

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 05:14:35 am
An oiled gauze replacement that fits in the stock airbox