Author Topic: The Harvest Classic  (Read 1564 times)

dick_deck

• Scooter
on: November 07, 2012, 09:48:16 pm
A fun story, that I hope is worth the read. If not, you may skip to the pictures at the end. :)

Last month I took my 2012 C5 for a ride through the hill country of Texas to Luchenbach. Luchenbach is famous for comprising of a single building: the post office. Every year thousands of riders get together to show bikes, compete in trials, listen to live music, camp, and generally carouse with other riders.

This year I decided to enter my nearly stock C5 into the moderns category. On my way to Luchenbach, I had a rough start. I had to run to two gas stations just to put air in my tires, and took a wrong turn. I arrived with 10 minutes to spare before registration closed, and a good 30 people in line before me. Luckily one of the attendants walking by the line was announcing that if a rider was here to enter their bike, they could step out of line and register immediately.

Once I had my wristband, I felt safe that I had paid my money, and so entry could not be denied. I rode my bike around the bend and up to the showgrounds, where people had already poured in. I idled through the crowds and up to a table, where another attendant declared to his friend "he's the last one allowed in." He repeated this for the bike behind me as well.

Unfortunately, showing up late meant I had to park my bike in the second row. Which not only was tough to get to, but did not offer a generous view of my lovely bike. Once done, I met up with some friends, grabbed voting sheets, and we made our way through the categories. My favorite category was 1960-1964. Each category had a bucket, where you would deposit a tearaway slip from the voting sheet with the number of the bike you were voting for scribbled on it. Once that was done, we ate, listened to music, and wondered "what next?"

From here I asked the guy at the table when the show closed and was announced. It closed at 3, and announced sometime before 6. It was almost 3, so I asked my friends if they just wanted me to grab my bike when it was done, and head home. They suggested getting an early dinner at a nearby town and coming back for the announcement.

We returned shortly after 5 to find the winners announcement underway. It ended shortly after we got there, and I declared "Oh well, I'll never know." My wife was quick to point out that the announcer had ducked behind the minuscule stage and was talking with another worker. "Why not ask him?" I shrugged and headed over. "Hey, can you tell me who won the Modern category?"

He pulled out a clipboard with a hand written list and began to scan down it, when my hand shot out and violently tapped the clipboard, almost knocking it out of his hands. "Hey! I won second place!"

He righted the clipboard, "You had the Royal Enfield? That's a nice bike!" He then walked a few feet away and grabbed a ribbon off a nearby table. "Here you are, congratulations!"

I thanked him, and chatted about bikes for a bit before stumbling away. I never thought my bike would win anything. I was so excited about second place, I couldn't remember who got first. I think it was a Ducati Agusta. There wasn't a third place, so second was pretty good!

Next year I plan to return for 1st! I have a few more modifications to make, and I plan on bring some educational material for anyone interested in "what the heck is that?"

Thanks for reading my story. I hope you enjoy a few photos of classic bikes from Luchenbach, Texas.

Cheers,
Rich

https://picasaweb.google.com/102992702641046983925/HarvestClassic?authuser=0&feat=directlink

PS - I know you can attach photos, but I figured the link would be easier to navigate.

Link to the Harvest Classic: http://www.harvestclassic.org/

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:52:38 pm
Congratulations !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:29:58 pm
Thanks for sharing.  Those are some great bikes!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 11:02:12 pm
Way to go ! :)

I sure hope the band played,
"I was lookin back to see if she was lookin back to see if I was lookin back to see if she was lookin back at me".
After all, the title kind of fits the town you were in.   ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:59:21 am
Very nice. Sounds like a good time was had by all!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:05:11 am
Hey, congrats. Nice bike (same as mine) and neat town (I went there to see Willy about 30 years ago while I was visiting Austin), nice riding country, I'm jealous.

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:36:54 pm
I did not hear that song. Nor did I hear any Waylon Jennings while I was there. Of course, they could have played it while I was off getting dinner. :)