Author Topic: Chain Lube Tip  (Read 11616 times)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
on: November 07, 2012, 02:49:49 am
A few years ago I discovered a superior product for chain lubrication. It sprays on wet, penetrates, then dries. No messy oil slinging on rear rims, no dirt or sand sticking to, or wearing out the chain.
it is: "DUPONT MULTI-USE DRY WAX LUBRICANT", it is provided with a nozzle tube for accurate aiming. I found mine at LOWES on an end cap in the tool section. there is a small picture of motorcycle chain, among other aplications on the label. This stuff is MAGIC- You will never use anything else, & will thank me.
Craig McClure, Jasper Ga. USA
2010 G5 Deluxe
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 03:47:41 am
Nice,  thank you.

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:57:18 am
Agree, been using it for years.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:27:40 pm
Yes, this stuff, under various name changes but still the same,  is excellent for a chain lube. I've been using this on my sportbikes (and dirtbikes) for years, get well over 20 thousand miles out of them. Best thing is that you don't get grease slop thrown all over the rear tire and rim. And any that does fling wipes right off clean.

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 03:08:08 pm
Maybe I should try it, but I don't change easily. I've been using chainsaw bar oil for years.
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

ADB

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 03:44:02 pm
Is this still available?  I actually tried to find it because I'd read an older review of chain lubes, but was under the impression they'd stopped making it...well, that they'd actually changed the formula, and that it was no longer recommended for motorcycle chains. 
The distinction was that it's now called Dupont Multi-use lubricant, (removed the "dry wax" from the name), and this new stuff is apparently not to be used for motorcycles...seems like a small distinction. 

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupont-motorcycle-chain-lube-2012/index.htm

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 05:42:27 pm
Seems like everything has gone Teflon, which doesn't really mean anything.  Teflon is simply an endorsement, not a specific product.  If it says "Teflon dry wax" it's still probably the same old dry wax.  They probably can't recommend the multi-use lube for motorcycle chains because they're afraid of lawsuits.

I use Finish Line dry Teflon lube on my bicycle chain, boat rigging, and whatever else needs a little friction relief.  It makes things nice and slick, and repels dirt.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 05:48:07 pm
I wonder if this is the same stuff... http://amzn.com/B0009LSXNQ

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 05:49:09 pm
Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene that finds numerous applications. The best known brand name of PTFE is Teflon by DuPont Co.

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 06:01:03 pm
Has anyone used this for any length of time on a non o-ring chain with good results?  Personally, I used Maxima chain wax on my DID standard chain for about 5000 miles and did way too many chain adjustments.  I've gone back to a traditional goopy, oily type chain lube.

Scott
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:03:30 pm by Ducati Scotty »

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:01:25 pm
Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene that finds numerous applications. The best known brand name of PTFE is Teflon by DuPont Co.

Right, but there's Teflon dry wax lubricant, Teflon flouropolymer lubricant, Teflon silicone lubricant, etc...  maybe they all have some PTFE added, but I kinda doubt it.  Seems like you can't buy a Dupont lubricant without the Teflon logo, which is why I believe it's merely an endorsement (unless it says flouropolymer).

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 09:11:37 pm
....... maybe they all have some PTFE added, but I kinda doubt it.  .......

I'd think they all have PTFE,  It's not that expensive as an additive.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 11:13:04 pm
I'm sure if it says Teflon on the can, there is some PTFE in it.

The question is, "How much?" 
A few cc's of Teflon in a 150,000 gallon vat would qualify but it wouldn't contribute a dam thing to the lubricity of the product.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 11:56:11 pm
I guess I'm more pessimistic than you all.  ;)

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:29 am
It's gone through some name changes but my understanding is Dupont didnt want to specifically indicate it was for motorcycles, perhaps for legal reasons, but I believe it to be the same product......it works just as good and yes, it works fine on non o-ring chains.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 03:58:09 am
I have used Dupont's Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant for chain for quite some time and loved it.  Occasionally, I tried it on cables and it worked well.  Recently when I went to buy it again, I noticed that the company has reformulated the product.  It is no longer the same product - though it looks same color can and has similar name (not same name). 

The OLD formula contained 1) Teflon, 2) Wax, 3) Molybdenum, 4) Corrosion inhibitor and 5) Calcium stearate.  All great ingredients to lube chains and other metal to metal contacts. 

The NEW formula is just watered down and contains only 1)Teflon and 2)Hydrotreated petroleum distillates.  There is NO MOLY, NO Calcium Stearate.

First picture shows the front of OLD and NEW cans side by side.  Second picture shows the ingredients, which are readable when you expand the picture.   

I do not like the new formulation for use on chains (though it is OK for other places such as hinges).  I am switching to Super Clean Chain Lube by BEL-RAY for chain.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:06:06 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 04:50:41 am
Mine is a different container than either of yours Singh. Mine contains "petroleum distillates, propane, isobutane, omega-hydro-alpha (methylcyclohexy) poly-tfe".  They describe it as a patended, water repelling, wax based lubricant. Enhanced with Teflon fluoropolymer and organic molybdenum for optimum performance. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 03:19:50 am
Mine is a different container than either of yours Singh. Mine contains "petroleum distillates, propane, isobutane, omega-hydro-alpha (methylcyclohexy) poly-tfe".  They describe it as a patended, water repelling, wax based lubricant. Enhanced with Teflon fluoropolymer and organic molybdenum for optimum performance. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

Dupont also sells liquid lubes in dropper bottles - not pressurized cans. They can be applied as drops.

1) Chain Saver (which is identical in ingredients to OLD Multi-Use Dry Wax Spray Can).

2) Multi Use (idential to NEW Multi-Use Spray Can)

3) Silicone lube for rubber and plastics.

The Chain Saver has good composition for chains, but it is harder to apply than pressurized can. 

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:27:46 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 09:26:34 am
Good news/bad news/good news

Good news; I picked up some Dupont "chain saver" today at Walmart for $6.56  UPC code 3612119183 gets you the 11oz aerosol can. Per Duponts web page it is the new name for the OLD Multi-Use.

Bad news; the label makes no mention of molybdenum or calcium stearate which puts it at odds with Duponts web pages that say it has them both
http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/multi_use_lubricant.html

and

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/chain_saver.html

Good news; the label does mention "also sprays upside down"

Standard stuff; still O-ring and Ozone safe.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:58:05 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 05:20:52 pm
Good news/bad news/good news

Good news; I picked up some Dupont "chain saver" today at Walmart for $6.56  UPC code 3612119183 gets you the 11oz aerosol can. Per Duponts web page it is the new name for the OLD Multi-Use.

Big corporations use their very popular 'Trade Names' to make & sell whatever is cheapest and easiest to make IRRESPECTIVE of what was ORIGINALLY in them, that made them popular in the first place.

Seen that in cosmetics & medicines. Toothpaste 'Crest' is different from what was inside it several years ago. The stomach med 'Kaopectate' is NOT kaolin and pectin in today's bottles (original formula was named as Kao for kaolin, a clay and Pectate for pectin).

I personally think that should not be allowed and it is a scam to fool customers.

If a formulation or composition is changed, it is a different product and should have different name or name with subscript or numerical number to identify and differentiate them.

Some products sold as aerosol are completely different from Same Name in liquid form. A customer who uses an aerosol and likes it and later decides to buy Same Name in liquid may not know that he is buying something totally different. Telling from personal experience when one worked and the other did not.   
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:30:26 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 07:35:00 pm
I will be calling DuPont for clarification on this.

If contrary to their web info chain saver turns out to not be the new name for the old multi use formulation.....grrrr.
 I drove seventy miles to the only local source of the stuff and bought all six cans available.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:37:55 pm by Ice »

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 08:33:45 pm
"New" and "Improved" together always frustrates me on packaging. Its either one or the other.  "improved" profits for the manufacturer by eliminating higher cost ingredients of the existing product mostly.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 08:54:35 pm
"New" and "Improved" together always frustrates me on packaging. Its either one or the other.  "improved" profits for the manufacturer by eliminating higher cost ingredients of the existing product mostly.
Oxymoron directed at consumers whom ad people believe are morons.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 10:40:16 pm
Oxymoron directed at consumers whom ad people believe are morons.

...and the morons obediently confirm that belief every day of the week.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 06:10:10 am
 Voicemail was the best I could get on the phone with DuPont today.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 05:39:07 pm
     I had the opportunity to evaluate Maxima Chain Wax in a fleet setting when I was servicing the Olympia Police bikes. They insisted on the wax because it was clean. Over the next three years they went through 5 chain and sprocket sets on 4 bikes averaging 600 miles a month. The previous 6 years with regular chain lube had seen 2 chain replacements, and one rear sprocket on the highest mileage bike. Other customers that used this product suffered excessive chain wear. One customer lubed his chain several times a week (about 100 miles commuting) and with almost daily adjustment achieved close to 90% of the life his previous chain gave.
     I am not familiar with the Dupont product, but I don't believe a wax has the same load bearing capacity that a regular chain lube has. Chain lube is a heavy grease dissolved in a carrier. It goes on thin, seeps into the chain to lubricate the bushings, then the carrier evaporates to leave the grease. Properly applied, modern chain lubes do not sling off and last for hundreds of miles between applications. The trick is to lube after riding to allow time for the grease to set up.
     Try it yourself. Spray some regular chain lube in a cup. Note how thin it looks. Then come back in 30 minutes. You will find a blob of tacky grease.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 09:06:58 pm
Vince, were those o-ring or traditional chains?

I use Maxima on my o-ring chains because with and o-ring you're just lubing the seals and rollers.  The pins are all lubed by the captive grease in behind the seals.  The Dupont stuff is Teflon I believe, similar to the wax in that it's a static, tacky film instead of a thick grease/oil type lube.  I think both are ok on o-rings but worthless for a traditional chain where you do need to get lube to the high stress parts of the chain.

If you were lubing o-ring chains then I'm pitching the Maxima and going back to PJ-1.  Maxima is cleaner but changing the chain and sprockets on an Enfield is almost like work, and I don't do that.

Scott

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 09:44:17 pm
     They were all #630 heavy-duty o-ring chains. O-ring chains are extended  maintenance interval, not permanently sealed. The only way to permanently and completely seal something is to weld it shut. If it is moveable it can't be permanently sealed. Modern chain lubes are thin enough to seep past the o-ring to replenish the grease in the bushings. Use them on both o-ring and standard chains.
     PJ makes a good lubricant. In my shop and on my personal bike I use Torco Power Slide. Any of the name brands are good. Put a bead done each side of the chain where it can seep into the bushings. The chain to sprocket interface needs very little lube. It is the internal bushings that need lube the most. It takes at least 20 minutes to set up, 30 or more is better, so don't hose down the chain and immediately go riding. That is what most people do and that is why they don't like chain lube. It really does need time to set up.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:53:02 pm by Vince »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 09:57:02 pm
True, not really sealed.  I prefer to think of them as 'negligence tolerant' rather than 'extenended maintenance interval' ;)

I've had decent life from my chains with Maxima but the evidence you give seems strong.  Guess I'll be switching back to a more messy, traditional style chain lube.

Scott

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 07:31:39 am
webbikeworld.com has evaluated many chain lubes and their current top choices for motorcycle chain lubes are the Liquid Performance Chain Lube and the Original Bike Spirits ; both of those were winners in their 2010 Chain Lube Comparison. they also recommend the Klotz KLR , winner of our 2008 Chain Lube Comparison.
www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/more-motorcycle-chain-lubes-reviewed/

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 08:50:03 am
Webbikeworld.com only evaluated how they went on and what the label said was in them.  They didn't do long term tests to see how well they performed well as a lube.
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 01:20:33 pm
That's my problem with reviews, they're mostly about how easy they go on and how much they fling.  They often get used for a year or so but it's just the user's subjective opinion at the end.  Vince's story carries a lot more weight IMO.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 02:01:45 pm
...... Modern chain lubes are thin enough to seep past the o-ring to replenish the grease in the bushings.........

Magic.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 02:05:28 pm
 I tried tacky chain lubes several different times in the past and found the biggest problem with them is that they are tacky. 
 Tacky = holds on to every bit of road grit and makes a nice grinding paste that will not fling off.
 In my fleet of one year round ridden commuter Bullet the absolute best I ever got out of it's plain chain lubed with the tacky stuff was 2,000 miles.

My usual chain maintenance regimen is wash and re lube the chain every Sunday. 

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 03:56:22 pm
    Ice, you are right. Chain lube is tacky and will capture and hold grit. I find it better to have some lube with my grit, rather no lube at all. But the debate on this point has been loud and contentious since the beginning of time. Most of the grit will be on the outside. Wipe off excess grit before you lube so you don't carry grit into the bushings. My dirt bike chain was removed after every ride and cleaned in solvent before re-installing and lubing. My street bike isn't ridden in those conditions, so I just occasionally wipe it down with a rag soaked in WD-40.
     In other words, appropriate maintenance goes a long way. A good chain should last 10 to 15 thousand miles. On my XS-650 I replace the chain around 15 thousand miles. I'm on my second rear sprocket in 115,000 miles. It is just about due again.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:06:52 am by Vince »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 01:31:47 am
 Today some good news !!

DuPont returned my call to day and I had a nice conversation with the chemical guru on the other end of the line.

Turns out Chain saver is indeed the new name for the old formula Multi-Use and still contains Molybdenum Disulphide and Calcium Sterate !!

By law they only need to list the first five ingredients so that's what they did. Turns out the same marketing "geniuses" that decided to change the name also designed the new label.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 04:17:30 am
    Ice, you are right. Chain lube is tacky and will capture and hold grit. I find it better to have some lube with my grit, rather no lube at all. But the debate on this point has been loud and contentious since the beginning of time. Most of the grit will be on the outside. Wipe off excess grit before you lube so you don't carry grit into the bushings. My dirt bike chain was removed after every ride and cleaned in solvent before re-installing and lubing. My street bike isn't ridden in those conditions, so I just occasionally wipe it down with a rag soaked in WD-40.
     In other words, appropriate maintenance goes a long way. A good chain should last 10 to 15 thousand miles. On my XS-650 I replace the chain around 15 thousand miles. I'm on my second rear sprocket in 105,000 miles. It is just about due again.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 05:42:35 am
I'm not sure what to make of this.

This is turning into an oil thread.  ::)
1975 XLCH

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 05:01:01 am
TRUST ME!  The Dupont product is not tacky, Really lubricates, but wont sling. I have used it for some years, & I Highly Recommend it.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 07:51:03 am
I should clarify my earlier starements where I said dry lubes were tacky.  They go on wet and stick well to the chain, but are not tacky or wet feeling once they dry. They do not attract or hold dirt.  By tacky I just meant they stick to the chain well.

Scott

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 07:42:34 pm
I should clarify my earlier starements where I said dry lubes were tacky.  They go on wet and stick well to the chain, but are not tacky or wet feeling once they dry. They do not attract or hold dirt.  By tacky I just meant they stick to the chain well.

Scott

I've been using the Amsoil spray and everyone comments that I need to oil my chain.  I have them run finger on it and that shuts them up.  It's great for garage door opener chains too.
1975 XLCH