Author Topic: Options/opinions  (Read 5206 times)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 09:32:31 pm
Bare, there are compression release levers you can mount on the bottom of your clutch bracket.  It basically replaces the bottom clamp.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 09:35:29 pm
Like this:

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 10:06:34 pm
Like this:

What a NEAT idea! Very neat.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 10:34:43 pm
You're going to drill a hole in a perfectly good engine?  That just doesn't make any sense! :P

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 11:27:19 pm
You can also use the kicker to get the piston to just before TDC before hitting the ES button.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 11:49:24 pm
You can also use the kicker to get the piston to just before TDC before hitting the ES button.

If you're going to kick it up there, you should kick it just PAST TDC, so you don't put that initial big load on the ES.
The reason I would rather have the manual one is that it would be far easier to kick it past TDC when you're kick starting it. As it is, nudging it past TDC is a bit of a PITA.
I don't usually worry about the ES, frankly. It goes from wherever I push the button. The comment on the previous was for those who do.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 12:11:24 am
You're going to drill a hole in a perfectly good engine?  That just doesn't make any sense! :P

Of course I wouldn't. I thought the LEVER was a neat idea.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 05:59:00 pm

Show me a perfectly good engine! :)
I'd drill a hole in an Enfield. The hardest part has already been done by them. They used to drill holes there themselves. It's an "Open" invitation!
Bare
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:00:40 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 06:03:01 pm
I guess you called me out.  I'm a constant tinkerer.  My wife finds it amazing how much time I spend working on a motorcycle that's not even broken.

Some people can leave well enough alone.  I don't know any of them personally ;)

Scott

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 06:05:59 pm
I am totally intrigued by the manual decompression idea even though my auto decompression works fine.  My sprag slips at times and I think the only thing that makes me want to leave the sprag in there is that the auto decompressor lets the compression down too slow which makes the kickstarts take too long to set up if you stall out at a light.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 06:57:58 pm
My wife finds it amazing how much time I spend working on a motorcycle that's not even broken.

Yeah, my wife is always asking me what's wrong with that bike? you're always working on it. It must not be very good.
And I tell  her, Nothings wrong with it. I just tinker with it because it makes me happy. If it wasn't that, I'd be building model airplanes or something else.
Why is she vacuuming all the time? Drives me nuts. She's obsessed with the vacuum cleaner
Bare.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 07:24:21 pm
Nobody in my house is osessed with the vacuum cleaner, and I think that's fine :)

ADB

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 08:40:52 pm
My dogs are obsessed w/ mine..does that count?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 09:05:00 pm
If you did it just right, you could install the same manual decompressor that the Iron Barrel bikes use. It goes in that same place where you are talking about drilling that hole. And the Iron Barrels already have a left side switch cluster that already has the decompressor lever built in to it.

And if you did it just right, you could drill the little vent outlet for the decompressor that vents into the exhaust port, just like the Iron Barrel does.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 09:09:15 pm
Will triggering a manual decompressor while the engine is running kill it?  I could swear that's how my friend's moped worked when I was a kid.

Scott