Author Topic: Options/opinions  (Read 5192 times)

palace15

• Bulleteer
on: November 06, 2012, 08:27:13 am
Options >:(
After the 8000 miles and what appears to be spragclutch problems, which to be honest I find totally unacceptable I now face the following options;
Get rid and go Jap
Another engine with kickstart(Which ones fit a 2010 C5?)
A pair of crancases to rebuild my internals into, thus getting a kickstart.

In the car world they would never get away with a common fault like this, but we(motorcyclists) have to accept it as the norm,......Why?
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:56:49 am
Well, you could just fix the sprag clutch, if that is what's broken.
It doesn't really affect running. Just starting.
And I'd also check out auto-decompressor in the exhaust cam for proper function. If that is working, then the sprag system should be mostly protected from damage.
Probably only a few hundred dollars to fix the sprag system, if that is what it is.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 02:17:05 pm
Or a few hundred to add a kick starter. Think about it, never have to worry about the sprag again.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:27:11 pm
Well, you could just fix the sprag clutch, if that is what's broken.
It doesn't really affect running. Just starting.
And I'd also check out auto-decompressor in the exhaust cam for proper function. If that is working, then the sprag system should be mostly protected from damage.
Probably only a few hundred dollars to fix the sprag system, if that is what it is.

You just reminded me of a question I meant to ask two years ago & I hope nobody minds if I ask it here:

2008 AVL Classic, 600 miles, never use the electric start (I've used it maybe 4 times all told), lever-operated cam that holds the exh valve open, BUT:

IF I DO use it, should I be holding pressure on the decomp lever 'til it starts to prevent that horrible sprag noise from escaping?

(The only time I MIGHT use the ES would be if I killed it in a tricky traffic sitcheeation).

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 03:36:30 pm
I had my reservations when Enfield were putting out c5's without a kickstart..Some people think its a complete waste of time to have both but I always thought the electric start feature was never engineered correctly into this particular engine design ..I would however spend the money and repair it....Why? Well we're attracted to the beauty and simplicity of this specific machine but that seems to come at a cost/like most things...It does appear that the newer mix  have both starting systems again with a improved sprag.. If you want more fun - try a iron,,,I have a moderate leak of type f I need to fix and some other issues that require addressing for next year..Right now I need to finish my coffee, shower and go out and vote...Good luck with the repair and love your trip reports ..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 04:04:20 pm
+1.  You already have the sprag, may as well get it put in.  The iron barrels and AVLs had lots of problems with the sprag, the UCEs have only had a handful.  We're not special, some older Ducatis and BMWs ate them regularly as well.

Putting in the sprag should only take an hour or so.  Why tear the whole engine apart and spend hundreds more on parts to add the kicker?   Just get it running again and see how you feel in 300 more miles.

Scott

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 04:05:13 pm
Or a few hundred to add a kick starter. Think about it, never have to worry about the sprag again.

I would love a 'kicker' but was told when I enquired whilst in India that I would need a new crankcase.
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 04:10:37 pm
+1.  You already have the sprag, may as well get it put in.  The iron barrels and AVLs had lots of problems with the sprag, the UCEs have only had a handful.  We're not special, some older Ducatis and BMWs ate them regularly as well.

Putting in the sprag should only take an hour or so.  Why tear the whole engine apart and spend hundreds more on parts to add the kicker?   Just get it running again and see how you feel in 300 more miles.

Scott
I am too old/unfit/lazy should the sprag ever go kaput whilst in Europe to bumpstart the machine, 8000miles is a bad joke for this problem, so now I have the noises what happens should I choose to ignore it as its only for a few seconds till the motor fires, a kickstart at whatever cost as got to be peace of mind and make the bike more reliable.

Has anyone ever fitted a kickstart to one of these, and do ALL types of UCE/EFI motors fit the C5 frame?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 05:29:38 pm
Do not ignore it, it will get worse and it will fail for sure.  I understand your reasons for wanting the kicker, it makes sense.  No one I know of has retrofitted one yet.  As far as I know the crankcase is the same.  You'll need all the kicker parts, a new right side outer case with a hole and seal for the kicker to stick out, and a full tear down to install it all.  This has been discussed here though no one has done it.  There aren't all that many parts but there is plenty of labor involved.

Scott

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:55:18 pm
My 2 cents... Electric starter systems will fail no matter what vehicle you're talking about.  I would say that's the most frequent thing I've had to fix on all my older vehicles.  If specifically the sprag repeatedly fails then that does seem like an engineering fault though.

Kickers are infinitely more reliable.  The only thing that breaks on a kicker is your foot!  If you're willing to put in the effort or money, I'd say go for it.  Especially if you keep both.  Nothing beats redundancy.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 06:06:35 pm
           You just reminded me of a question I meant to ask two years ago & I hope nobody minds if I ask it here:

2008 AVL Classic, 600 miles, never use the electric start (I've used it maybe 4 times all told), lever-operated cam that holds the exh valve open, BUT:

IF I DO use it, should I be holding pressure on the decomp lever 'til it starts to prevent that horrible sprag noise from escaping?

(The only time I MIGHT use the ES would be if I killed it in a tricky traffic sitcheeation).

It has been suggested that spinning up the engine with the ES while the decompressor is open, and then closing it for actual starting while it's spinning, will help to prevent kickbacks.

Opening the decompressor when turning the engine off helps to prevent the inertia of the crank from rotating up against a closed cylinder that has compression, and being forced backward(roll-back) if it can't overcome that compression in the cylinder.

Anything that can push the sprag backward can damage it. The decompressor can help avoid this damage when used in a manner to protect the sprag.
The problem is that the AVL decompressor is actually a valve-lifter type, and isn't the most effective decompressor around for these purposes.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 06:54:14 pm

Opening the decompressor when turning the engine off helps to prevent the inertia of the crank from rotating up against a closed cylinder that has compression, and being forced backward(roll-back) if it can't overcome that compression in the cylinder.

The problem is that the AVL decompressor is actually a valve-lifter type, and isn't the most effective decompressor around for these purposes.

I made it a habit from the beginning to always kill the engine that way. Pulling the lever just an inch or so shuts it down immediately. Then key off.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 08:22:31 pm
If I had a manual decompressor on my bike, I would use it to get the engine spinning with the ES, then release it so the engine can start properly. I like to get the engine spinning past the first compression before I'd release it.
I've actually been thinking of pulling the autodecompressor out of my G5 and installing a manual one.
Never have liked auto decompressors
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:05 pm

I've actually been thinking of pulling the autodecompressor out of my G5 and installing a manual one.
Bare

Bare - you've got my attention.  Such a thing is possible in our new EFI engines?    Where would you put the "manual bi-starter"?  ;)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 08:55:54 pm
There is a hole cast in the right side of the head down to a flat that is/was used for dual plugs and compression releases. Just drill and tap that face to a spark plug size hole and screw the compression release in.
The biggest problem is find a spot to put the release handle! There's not a whole lot of room on the bars.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com