Author Topic: those of You that took off the PAV and plugged it  (Read 6323 times)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
did U have to start messing with your jetting?  I like everything like it is ..  however the rubber tubing keeps splitting  ..and the engine starts revving .. no problem , other than it has become a bit of an aggravation

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:19:09 am
ooops

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 04:19:54 am
and I'm running out of tubing b4 I have to pull the gas tank and replace everthing..   trying to keep from spending 600 plus $'s for a NEw exhaust  new carB..  less gas milage

and  NOT entering the twilight zone 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 04:22:05 am by scotty »

michigandon

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:06:15 am
Shitcanned the PAV on the The Mrs' '06 Electra days after getting it home. She  just got done installing the new CMW flat-slide carb this past week. Would've been nice if they had included some  instructions with the thing. That being said, it's not that hard to figure out. Stick with the pilot jet that comes installed in it. Her bike didn't wanna idle fer shiat with the other one installed. Currently running a 132 main jet, but I'm going to advise her to go smaller as the plug looked mighty black after riding into work tonight.

CMW states that the S&B air filter for this carb is a "Tight fit on the Electra", yet we found it fit the contour for the original plastic air box hose on the right side cover like it was designed to work with it from the factory!  8)

It seems to work in conjunction with the Goldstar pipe rather well.  ;D

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 12:59:02 pm
I ended up going to a 125 main on my flat slide.

michigandon

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 02:32:09 pm
I ended up going to a 125 main on my flat slide.

Where did you get the 125 main jet?

132 was the smallest that came with the one we got.  ???

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 03:06:21 pm
Just did the PAV thing this weekend..Actually replaced the stock with a 50 style brit exhaust...Definetly has a different tone now vice the rattle can...Haven't done a rejet as yet as supposely the dealer did a rejet on the bike as they felt it was too lean with the original exhaust..Bottom line is that my dealer has closed shop and I don't know what the size of the main jet is...I 've riden the bike 2 miles to the store and back and haven't noticed any blueing (just a bit golden brown on the upper pipe)...I didn't install the exhaust baffle on the rear as I kinda like the sound without it...
The actual PAV unit I left installed the left side panel...Their is a metal tube between the carb and the intake that the 12" plastic tubing connects between there and the PAV...I left that installed and pugged up the end of the tube and wrapped it up inside the side panel..(Will leave that ai it is till I find an appropriate plug.
Will call CMW today re.what size pilot, main, and needle placement would at least guarentee that I don't have a potential problem...Driving seems okay but just don't know how the carb is set up...Any suggestions are welcomed..cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 06:02:37 pm
Scotty,

You can remove the PAV system from your bike and just plug the connection at the exhaust pipe. That would only cost a few cents for a brass cap on the PAV stub. No new pipe, new jets etc etc. Just a thought.

I removed my PAV stuff as I was doing a whole bunch of other work to it at the same time. I didn't buy a new exhaust, I got a used one off a 99 Enfield. Sounds great and was cheap to boot. Jets don't cost much really. You could do the whole thing for a lot less than $600. Keep your eye out for a used pipe....

Paul
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 03:23:46 am
i have no plug at the exhaust , it's in the head.. guess it the same thoughts though

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 12:48:37 pm
Sorry Scotty, I thought they had the same type set up as the classic model. It wouldn't look as clean as you'd like, but if it would save some bucks until you wanted to replace the exhaust and whatever else, it may work?

The classic model has the hose from the PAV stuff in the left tool box to the exhaust header, and then another hose from the inlet manifold to the PAV stuff. I plugged the inlet manifold hole and fitted a new pipe to eliminate the stub that stuck out of the old exhaust, but a cap would have worked fine, just not as purty.
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

michigandon

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 03:25:46 pm
I put a compression cap on the fitting on my better half's Electra. Forget what size thread it is off hand.

EnfieldJake

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 01:17:15 am
EUREKA!!!! I have figured out how to plug it. I had originally removed the fitting from the head, put a screw through the hollow compression fitting, and welded it together. but it looked unsightly sticking out about an inch. SO being the tinkerers that we are I found an oil drain plug by DORAN/ Motormite (part# 65219) at my local Advance Auto Parts. It was labeled as a M16-1,5 Pilot Point. The threads are the same as my'06 Electra. After I took the plug home,  I had to grind off the non-threaded portion about an 1/8th of an inch before the threads since it is too long. After that I reused the copper gasket from the original fitting and screwed it in. NICE! What do you think?

[old attachment deleted by admin]

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 02:23:15 am
very clean.. thanks

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 01:50:01 am
Resurrection of an oldie.

Thanks Enfield Jake. Finally got around to doing this mod. I used the part number , NAPA car parts was able to translate it .
My engine idles smoother, or it seems to.

Too much snow for a test ride.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 03:55:59 am
I ripped mine off and found a sheet metal screw that fit into the exhaust bolt on the head and epoxied it in.