Author Topic: best "0" ring chain or otherwise for the C5  (Read 19928 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #60 on: December 25, 2012, 11:21:34 am
Rigger - Don't have to tell me nuthin' - all the big sockets I need will be waiting for me when I get home after Christmas!!! ;)

Happy Holidays to everyone here!!!

(pic stolen right from Royalenfields.com: http://www.royalenfields.com/2012/12/here-is-holiday-guide-to-gifts-for.html )

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #61 on: December 29, 2012, 09:36:11 pm

My Tsubaki Omega O-ring chain came with a master link, and if  I remember correctly, it was actually packaged in the plastic that contained the chain.  This leads me to believe that they all come from the factory with the master link.

MC-Superstore confirmed: "The Tsubaki Omega chains do not come with master links."  I don't know what to think.  I'll just buy one and have a spare - it's only a few bucks...

Shamelin, and all:

Just received my new chain - it does indeed come with a clip master link.  It even says so right on the box.  How hard is it for somebody selling something to actually look when a customer inquires?  >:(

Well, like I said before, now I have a spare... 8)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: December 30, 2012, 12:57:31 am
Lol, join the club. I have a spare too.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: December 30, 2012, 01:17:33 am
Lol, join the club. I have a spare too.

+1.   I think it is a conspiracy to sell more clip type master links!  I spent days trying to sort this out prior to giving up and ordering a chain and a spare clip..... :D
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: December 30, 2012, 01:46:46 am
We should all pool our spare links together and,make a whole chain for someone.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #65 on: December 30, 2012, 02:12:34 am
We should all pool our spare links together and,make a whole chain for someone.

;D

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #66 on: December 30, 2012, 05:34:07 am
Good to know that you've got a spare.  Too many of something is always better than not enough, IMHO.

Best of luck with your sprocket upgrade.  It's the best modification I've made on my B5- I hope you'll find it to be as amazing.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #67 on: December 30, 2012, 01:18:53 pm
Thanks Shamelin-

I've heard mixed reports about the changes in performance that the 18T brings.  I'm doing it because I want to change to the o-ring chain...

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: December 31, 2012, 02:18:34 am
Thanks Shamelin-

I've heard mixed reports about the changes in performance that the 18T brings.  I'm doing it because I want to change to the o-ring chain...
I can add to your confusion while letting you in on mine. I have an E5 which is technically G5's identical twin but for paint & stickers. So its has the 17T sprocket. I replaced the worn out stock chain with the stock o-ring chain from a C5.
Some say... (Top Gear voice) that it can't be done; some say ;) it wouldn't fit.
But the truth is out there (and now here too).
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #69 on: December 31, 2012, 10:29:44 am
I can add to your confusion while letting you in on mine. I have an E5 which is technically G5's identical twin but for paint & stickers. So its has the 17T sprocket. I replaced the worn out stock chain with the stock o-ring chain from a C5.
Some say... (Top Gear voice) that it can't be done; some say ;) it wouldn't fit.
But the truth is out there (and now here too).

I recall reading that the C5 stock o-ring chain isn't any better than the stock standard chain, and it's not much of an o-ring chain.  The sprocket change was perhaps required for the "better quality" aftermarket o-ring chains?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: January 01, 2013, 01:31:54 am
I recall reading that the C5 stock o-ring chain isn't any better than the stock standard chain, and it's not much of an o-ring chain.  The sprocket change was perhaps required for the "better quality" aftermarket o-ring chains?
Yes, my idea too but for lack of better. Just don't know.
As for the C5 o-ring chain: it is holding up very well, over 4000km by now and still as new, nice. Totally unlike the stock E/G/B5 chain.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #71 on: January 12, 2013, 04:05:57 pm
I got their big 3/4" socket set for $20.00, on sale from $25.00. It was full of big black ugly deep sockets. But it works well. A 21 pc set, it ran from 19-50MM and included a breaker bar, ratchet and extensions. Maybe they don't carry that one any more.
As I recall, the sprocket nut was 46mm. I know it was smaller than 48mm.
Bare

FWIW - I got my 19-50mm, 21pc socket set from HF, and I was just sorting through everything.  Don't know if it's the same set that has been talked about before, but guess what?  It doesn't contain a 46mm socket.  45, yes.  48, yes.  46, no.

It lists the sizes right in the description - I just didn't pay attention.  Loser.  :-[

Some have said the the 48 might work - maybe, if the nut isn't too tight?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: January 12, 2013, 10:18:19 pm
I  think the 45mm is the one that works.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #73 on: January 14, 2013, 02:55:57 am
according to singh5g it is a 48mm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNK9tfJ1_xc
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #74 on: May 30, 2013, 03:03:36 pm
Bump -

I've installed my new Tsubaki o-ring chain.  It came out of the package with a somewhat dry, kind of sticky, waxy lubricant, and it seems quite stiff compared to my used regular chain (no surprise there!).

Should I just ride it, or does it need to be lubed first, or even cleaned and lubed?