Author Topic: best "0" ring chain or otherwise for the C5  (Read 19937 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 02:15:09 am
The Tsubaki omega 530, 102 o-ring chain does come with a clip type master link, so you don't need to buy one separately.

I don't know if we're allowed to get into specific vendors here, but here I go anyway...

motorcycle-superstore.com says, "**Note: All Tsubaki Omega O-ring chains do not include master link."  BikeBandit.com says, "This chain will come with a rivet style master link."  Others don't say at all, but offer master links for sale on the same pages as their chains.  I guess I can't just assume.  As a rule, do the manufacturers tend to include master links?

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 02:49:37 am
My Tsubaki Omega O-ring chain came with a master link, and if  I remember correctly, it was actually packaged in the plastic that contained the chain.  This leads me to believe that they all come from the factory with the master link.

Just a suggestion for removing the 46mm bolt: buy a steel pipe.  I spent an afternoon smacking the socket wrench, heating up the bolt with a blowtorch, and sweating to the point of nausea without the bolt budging.  Finally I took my socket wrench to Home Depot, found a 5ft steel pipe that it fit into snugly, and bought it.  Once I used that as a breaker bar, the bolt finally gave up with a satisfying groan. 

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 02:55:06 am
Wow.  Where did you find a torque wrench big enough to tighten it up again?  ;)

Dumb question: the engine cover has to come off for this job, yes?  Which means, I'll be draining the oil, yes?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 02:56:13 am
I use an old fork tube for my breaker bar.
As for Oring master links, a new chain will come with either a clip on, or a  rivet link. The rivet links aren't that hard to put on. Slip the parts together, back the link up with something like a block of wood to keep the link from moving when you smack it. Use a chisel and and smack an X on the end of the rivet. They aren't very hard on the tip. A center punch will work, too. Do not hit the tip very hard as you may overtighten the clip on the chain.   
Bare
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:02:33 am by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 03:30:55 am
Wow.  Where did you find a torque wrench big enough to tighten it up again?  ;)

Dumb question: the engine cover has to come off for this job, yes?  Which means, I'll be draining the oil, yes?

I didn't bother with a torque wrench.  I needed a frickin' 5ft steel pipe to get it off- I figured that I wasn't going to over-tighten it.  I just used the pipe/breaker bar to put it back on and bent the metal tabs back in place to provide extra security.

You will have to change the oil when you replace the sprocket.  There's a fiber gasket that fits between the engine cover and engine.  If you're careful, you can remove the engine cover without tearing it.  Here's a link for a replacement, if it gets damaged:

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/10k-mile-lubrication-kit.html

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 06:15:55 pm
My Tsubaki Omega O-ring chain came with a master link, and if  I remember correctly, it was actually packaged in the plastic that contained the chain.  This leads me to believe that they all come from the factory with the master link.

MC-Superstore confirmed: "The Tsubaki Omega chains do not come with master links."  I don't know what to think.  I'll just buy one and have a spare - it's only a few bucks...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 06:28:23 pm
You will have to change the oil when you replace the sprocket.  There's a fiber gasket that fits between the engine cover and engine.  If you're careful, you can remove the engine cover without tearing it.  Here's a link for a replacement, if it gets damaged:

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/10k-mile-lubrication-kit.html

That's an expensive gasket, with all those extras!  Isn't the following the same gasket, part #570416?  7th down at

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-engine-gasketseals-efi

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 06:54:31 pm
MC-Superstore confirmed: "The Tsubaki Omega chains do not come with master links."  I don't know what to think.  I'll just buy one and have a spare - it's only a few bucks...

If you go with the clip type it's nice to have a spare, keep it somewhere on the bike.  Though rare, they can fly off.  If that happens and you have a spare you can pick your chain up off the road and try to re-install it roadside instead of just calling for a tow.

Scott

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 07:17:31 pm
i got the tsubaki omega at cycle gear and it had a clip type master link with it.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 07:24:43 pm
Huh.  Just checked out cyclegear.com, and they don't carry Tsubaki...

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 12:48:33 am
i walked in the store and there it was.
had the guy check for a master link, that was there also so i bought it....it was a 110 link so i had to cut it down.
btw i get a 30% discount for being a ridercoach so i buy most of my stuff there.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 01:39:13 am
ah.  Maybe your "cycle gear" and my "cyclegear.com" aren't the same thing.

Never mind - I've ordered a chain, and a master link.  I'll either have a spare, or I won't!

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 05:53:21 am
..........I've ordered a chain, and a master link.  I'll either have a spare, or I won't.......

Zen.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 07:51:14 pm
Ok, Singhg5 says, and shows a photo, that the sprocket nut is 46mm.  Motorat says 48mm, but I'm not sure if he's referring to the nut size or the socket size.  What size socket should I be looking for to pull the sprocket?  I know there are sets available, but I'd like to know the individual socket size in case I get the chance to borrow one or buy an individual one (there's a big used tool place nearby).

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 08:25:07 pm
Found a "big" socket set on Harbor Freight, but it's $60...

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-piece-metric-3-4-quarter-inch-heavy-duty-socket-set-5494.html

Still might try to get it, though, so I can replace my sprocket, but also so I can adjust my chain!  Still don't know what sizes those two rear axle nuts are...