Author Topic: best "0" ring chain or otherwise for the C5  (Read 19934 times)

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 04:34:32 am
The G5 has a 27t fromt sprocket stock and cannot use an o-ring chain without switching to an 18t, it's a clearance issue.  I think this applies to the B5 also but someone check me on that.
The C5 has an 18t front sprocket stock and can use an O-ring chain with no sprocket change.  It has an o-ring chain stock.

Scott

You are correct- the B5 needs an 18T sprocket to accommodate the o-ring chain.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 08:49:11 pm
The G5 has a 27t fromt sprocket stock and cannot use an o-ring chain without switching to an 18t
The C5 has an 18t front sprocket stock and can use an O-ring chain with no sprocket change.  It has an o-ring chain stock.

But not necessarily of any great quality. And I do want to see that 27T front sprocket! ;)
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 10:30:32 pm
Smarty pants!  17t;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:44:56 pm by Ducati Scotty »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 11:32:00 pm
Bare - are you saying that a good 530 Oring chain cannot be installed without an 18 tooth front sprocket?

I know our high end performance is limited by horsepower more than gearing, but I don't understand why the "comfortable cruising speed" increases, while top speed decreases...

The Oring Chain is too wide to fit over the bearing housing boss with a 17T sprocket, however, with the 18T the chain will clear that boss. The oring chain has more width because of the orings, and a good Oring chain has links that are about 50% thicker than a cheapie. The roller and pins are thicker, too. The cheap chain will start breaking up inside as the bushings split, partly because the bushings are split to start with. A good chain has a solid bushing. same thing with the out rollers that ride on the chain. A lot of cheap chains have split rollers. Get a good chain. It's cheaper and a lot more comfortable in the long run. I haven't had to adjust my Tsubaki in 7000 miles since I put it on. The original didn't last that long!  And I kept it on way after it should've been pitched. And a bad chain will ruin your sprockets. kinda dumb to wait until your sprockets are wrecked before changing chains. Now you've spent more than a good chain would've cost in the first place!
The cruising speed will increase because you are operating in the peak power band of the engine. As the speed increases the power actually decreases because of the cams and injection limitations. As this power is decreasing the drag is increasing. The terminal velocity decreases. Drag wins!
If you want to go faster with an Enfield, go see ACE!
The differences between the 17T on a G5/B5 and the 18T on a C5 is because of the difference difference in the rear wheel sizes. The RPM/MPH ratio are almost exactly the same.  The factory actually did a pretty good job on the stock gearing. I would have kept it had I been able to get the Tsubaki Omega 530 to fit.
The bike is just smoother all the way around Less vibration, etc. It's because that rattle trap stock is binding and yanking and stretching itself all the around,and it doesn't take long to do it. A good chain should easily last way over 20,000 miles. I usually get average over 30,000 on a DID or Tsubaki. This one, I'm presuming should last nearly that long. A thumper can be a bit harder on a chain that a Multi Cylinder bike just from the power pulse. On the other hand an Enfield doesn't have much of a power pulse so it should last a very long time.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 11:38:06 pm
Ducatis tend to eat chains because of the "power pulse" too.  10-12k miles is average.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 11:54:00 pm
Bigger power pulses!
I didn't keep my Ducati long enough to figure out how along a chain would last! :(
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 11:02:02 pm
If I'm looking at getting a Tsubaki Omega 530 102 o-ring chain for my B5:
  • Do I need to get a special "o-ring" clip-on master link in addition to the 102-link chain?
  • Where is the best place to get an 18 tooth sprocket for the UCE?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 11:13:59 pm
Maybe.  Some chains come with master links some don't.  O-ring chains generally don't, but check the description or call the vendor to confirm.  If you need one you should get one from the same manufacturer as the chain, different brands don't always mix and match. 

Also, if you need to buy one you'll probably need to choose either a clip type or rivet type.  Clip type is a spring clip that holds it together, just like your stock chain.  Rivet type is more secure but requires a rivet tool to put on.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 12:00:31 am
That chain doesn't come with a master link - I can get one of the same size and manufacturer, but I wasn't sure if it had to be an "o-ring" link.  I'd go with the clip type.  And I wanted to make sure that if I was adding a master link, I shouldn't be getting a 101 link chain.

I see Hitchcocks sells UCE 18T sprockets, but NFG doesn't.  Is this one of those USA dealer-available-only items?

Do I need a special tool to remove the factory 17T sprocket?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 12:08:18 am
Sorry for not being clear: Yes, you need to get a matching o-ring type master link. 

Not sure if the dealers have the sprockets in the US or not, you could ask.

Yes, you need a BIG socket to remove the front sprocket.  I forget the exact size but I believe that even though it's metric there is also an SAE size that's close enough to use.  May help if you can't source the metric tool or if it's way more expensive.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 12:23:29 am
Awesome, thanks Scott!

Actually, I remembered needing a big socket; I was wondering if I needed a special pulling tool.  But thanks for the reminder!!!

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 12:51:12 am
if i remember it is a 48mm.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 01:17:20 am
The Tsubaki omega 530, 102 o-ring chain does come with a clip type master link, so you don't need to buy one separately. The Hitchcocks sprockets are really good quality and you do not need any pulling tool to change the sprocket. The OEM will slip out by hand once you remove the nut. This is a nice upgrade!

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 01:31:24 am
Bare - are you saying that a good 530 Oring chain cannot be installed without an 18 tooth front sprocket?

I know our high end performance is limited by horsepower more than gearing, but I don't understand why the "comfortable cruising speed" increases, while top speed decreases...

And, why would the larger sprocket improve shifting?

- none of the UCE bikes will accept an O-ring chain with a 17 tooth sprocket, the chain will foul the casing. Minimum of 18 tooth for an O-ring on any of the UCE bikes.
- comfortable cruising speed increases because the annoying tingly vibrations do not start until a higher speed
- With an 18 tooth the UCE bike is a touch overgeared and can not reach the optimum top speed