Author Topic: Halloween Storm  (Read 2713 times)

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 28, 2012, 12:19:07 pm
 Good Luck to everyone in the Northeast in regards to the approaching Hurricane/Tropical Storm/ Nor'easter. My neighbor has a dying tree hoovering over my shed so I moved the RE to a buddies house who has a real garage. Hope everyone comes through in one piece.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:12:49 pm
Yup, went around the house yesterday and put loose items away...Got the grass cut and wife wants the bathtub filled with water (just in case)...Hopefully we just get 2 inches of rain and a some winds...I hate when we loose electric (we sure take that for granted)...I spent 2k last year having two enormous trees taking down that were hanging over the house and garage that houses the bikes/mower..New Jersey and Pa gonna get hammered...We were due as we dodged most of the bad weather that the rest of the country seems to get....Good luck...
Oh Magoo you done it again

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 03:13:26 am
To our friends in the NE

Katy bar the door

2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:06:33 pm
Thanks for your best wishes. I am in NJ, close to New York. Strong gusts of wind are hammering, even though the center of hurricane is in the ocean a few hours south east of me. As I drove back home, my small car was occasionally pushed to one side on the highway. It has been raining for hours, the ground is wet, and roads are covered with leaves making it slippery. Small branches of trees have fallen on ground. In the next 12 to 20 hours as the hurricane lands on our state, the winds will pick up even more at night. I expect trees will fall, block the roads or bring down power lines - as it happened last time we had a storm.

The State is practically shut down - no buses, no trains, no planes, schools closed and most offices are also closed by now. South of me, several thousand homes have lost power. Coastal town streets are flooded.  And Garden State Parkway has been closed for 63 miles near the coast of NJ.

Tied a heavy cement brick to my bike which is parked outside - hopefully it will withstand the winds overnight till the storm passes by tomorrow.

Some incredible pictures are in a UK newspaper -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224411/Hurricane-Sandy-2012-Misery-UK-travellers-Frankenstorm-closes-airports-turns-New-York-ghost-town.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:12:19 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:04:28 pm
To all concerned, you are in my prayers !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:53:42 pm
Sandy hurricane gusting winds were too strong and tipped over my RE to the ground. It fell on the right side. My neighbor saw it, immediately called me up and helped to pick it up. Then we pushed it to another place - with the hope that the winds may be a little less there.

It is raining and dark so don't know if there is any real damaged to bike. However, I am glad for one thing that did NOT happen - the gas did not leak out of tank. May be the tank is not full and it did not lay there for long time or double protection on my gas tank cap worked well or a combination of all three.  I did notice that the engine crash bar on the right side was bent, it took the impact that very likely protected the bike from major damage. 

The motorcycle cover got filled with a gust of wind, that lifted up the bike a bit to tip it over. I had put double cover on bike, one of which did not have holes at the top to let out air.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:55:22 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:13:10 pm
singh5: Sorry about the wind knocking your bike over...Hopefully nothing too serious on the cosmetic side...The Daily mail site was great..Thanks..GM

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:58:44 pm
Man that sucks. I'll take earthquakes any day.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 02:30:36 am
Our thoughts are with you all. Take care.

Cheers

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 02:17:00 pm
I was lucky so far here in va...power stayed on through the entire event  and the rain is starting to fizzle out  ..I'm glad I had those towering trees next to the house removed last fall...Daughter is over as power is out at her residence....They were woken up last night at 2:00 in the morning by pounding on their front door....Guy down the street was looking to see if they had a generator he could borrow...His basement was flooding and no power to the sump pumps...Lucky her house was further up the hill.....GM

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 02:36:11 pm
I was lucky so far here in va...power stayed on through the entire event  and the rain is starting to fizzle out  ..I'm glad I had those towering trees next to the house removed last fall...Daughter is over as power is out at her residence....They were woken up last night at 2:00 in the morning by pounding on their front door....Guy down the street was looking to see if they had a generator he could borrow...His basement was flooding and no power to the sump pumps...Lucky her house was further up the hill.....GM

GM -

We get Noreasters every year but this was different. The winds were too strong and very prolonged. It is drizzling right now, less windy but there is warning of gusts of high speed winds from time to time that can still blow away things.

This morning I walked around and saw many trees fallen to the ground, completely uprooted and some split right in the middle of the trunk. There has been some damage to roofs of some apartments.

You are safe and so is your daughter - that is important.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:08:11 pm
Singh & GreenMachine

Glad you guys are safe, thanks for the update.

Terry
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati