Author Topic: Riding in South Africa  (Read 1518 times)

H2O

• Scooter
  • Death is inevitable so enjoy the ride
on: October 27, 2012, 06:38:00 pm
Thought I'll say something about biking in my country should there be any who are interested.

We have mild winters with temperatures (where I stay) seldom dropping below -5degC. It hardly ever snows and when it does it is minimal and melts within hours of falling. Consequently we ride the whole year round.

Most riders here favour the larger capacity bikes mostly from 600cc up. The Japanese bikes are popular. Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda sell well. Over the past ten to fifteen years Ducati and Aprillia have come onto the market. Harley Davidson sells well and Victory motorcycles have just come onto the market. BMW is one of the top sellers here and Triumph is also gaining market share.

Royal Enfield have been here for some years now. They are selling steadily and the dealer network is slowly growing.

Sidecars are slowly gaining a following but one hardly ever sees a rig on the roads. There are no local manufacturers. Cozy and Inder sidecars are imported from India and the Ural rig is sold in South Africa. Ural SA outsold the European Market this past year.

Our National roads are very good condition and well maintaned but provincial and regional roads are not as well maintained. Many are in good condition but potholes and poor maintenance are a problem.

Parts of our country are very popular with bikers. Mpumalanga offers nice twisty mountain roads with beautiful views and the same for much of our coastline.

Distances between towns can be great and depending where you are travelling.

There are various bike touring organisations in the country.

Be alert
Be safe
Live your life

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 08:53:27 pm
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you have a great riding area down there.
I did see South Africa once as we sailed around the Cape on the USS America. Didn't get to stop though.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:04:57 pm
Hi H2O and welcome aboard.  Got any pics of your favorite places ?

If you run into forum brother RGT over there say hi for us please.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

H2O

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:41:01 pm
How do I upload photographs?
Be alert
Be safe
Live your life

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:35:02 pm
How do I upload photographs?

The easy way is to go to "Attachments and other options" under the text box in the Post Reply section. An "Attach" box will come up. Click on "Browse" and find the photo you want and click on it. Make sure it isn't too large. Size limits are posted. If you want to post more than one, click on "(more attachments)". A second box will come up and repeat the process.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

H2O

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:19:48 pm
One of my favourite parts of this country is the Kruger National Park. The park is roughly the same shape and size as Israel. It boasts a huge variety of wildlife including Lion, Buffalo, Elephant, Leopard and Rhinoceri. I try to go at least once a year.
Be alert
Be safe
Live your life

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:32:12 pm
That's a big cat..Bet their many interesting things too see n do over there..I hear its a great place indeed...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:36:20 pm
Bonus points towards using the correct term fir miter than one rhino... Rhinoceri... Lol.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں