Author Topic: Dunlop K70 Tires  (Read 28816 times)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
on: October 25, 2012, 05:15:41 pm
Most of my long riding career has been spent on Dunlop K70's, Except for the years I was able to buy the inexpensive Japanese Clone (Ching Shin). I liked the clones because the sidewalls never cracked after a few years. Now that Ching Shin Dunlop Clones have been discontinued, I was forced to buy the more expensive Dunlop K70's. I got them from Bike bandit for about $70. GUESS WHAT?  They are made in Japan & have a better rubber compound. In fact it feels just like the Ching Shins rubber. I will bet they won't dry out & crack. They certainly work well on rural twisty roads, Much better than the Avon Skid Masters My G5 deluxe came with.  Cheers, Craig McClure, Jasper Ga. USA
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:34:43 pm
I like K70s and use them on all my vintage bikes. You get a vintage looking tread pattern with a modern rubber compound, can't beat that. Prices are good as well, at least compared to modern sports or touring bike tires.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:15:58 pm
K70s work extremely well. Great handling, great grip, the only drawback is a short life. Expect around 4000 mile out of a rear. But they are cheap enough to be well worth it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:33:19 am
How do these compare with the "Avon Speedmaster Mark II" tires that came on my B5?  I know there's some other OEM tires that have a bad rap ("skidmasters"?).

mja

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:17:50 am
$80 for a rear tire on motorcycle-superstore .... unreal.   I'm in.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:31:58 am
+1 on the new Dunlops. Huge improvement over the Avon AM26s that came on my C5.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 10:21:45 am
And, what's the shelf-life of tires like these?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 05:51:01 pm
How do these compare with the "Avon Speedmaster Mark II" tires that came on my B5?  I know there's some other OEM tires that have a bad rap ("skidmasters"?).

Those ARE the Skidmasters. Avon SMs. They are horrible tires. If you have any desire at all to even be a bit sporty, they are going to, at least, scare you and they can hurt you! Sent my bike off a cliff! Right in there with the worst tires I've ever had.
The difference the K-70s and the Avons is not even a comparison. the K-70s steer better, overall handling is better, the "push" is gone, and they actually offer traction. And are pretty decent in the dirt.
Shelf life? I don't keep mine on a shelf. But I would guess as good as any. The ones I've bought were relatively new, a few months old.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 01:39:00 am
I thought it was the C5 models that had the trouble tires.  Well, there you go.  I haven't had any trouble yet, but I really don't challenge my bike in any way - I'm a new nervous rider.  I doubt anyone would call my riding style "sporty".

Shelf life, as in, should I buy a few while the price is still good?  But if they're only good for a few years, like auto tires, I probably wouldn't get through a few before they got too old...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:32:36 am
Shelf life can be lengthened with proper packaging and storage but why bother.
 The rubber compounds are improved slightly from time to time and manufacturing gets a little better at the same time. A K-70 bought next year will be at least as good as this years tire if not a little better.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 07:47:02 am
Am I the only one who thinks the stock 'skidmaster' tyres are quite good on the tarmac? I haven't pushed myself to the limits (very rarely), but here and there I do tend to give it a bit on the turns and these Avons hold up quite well  ::)  :-X. I've ridden in pouring rain a few times, although a bit more carefully of course, but I never once felt that the bike is going to slip O_O

Yes, I agree that if we are trying to avoid a turn with loose gravel or an oil slick, but can't, the front tyre may lose traction. Doesn't that happen with almost any tyre? Or I am misinformed.

Maybe it's because I'm a 20 year old noob and basically have 5000mi of riding experience lol.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:52:04 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 10:37:15 am
JVS-

That was kind of my point.  You're half my age, but you have twice my riding miles.  The limits I reach in my riding are defined by my own pucker factor, not the tire traction or lean angle limits.  So for me, there's nothing wrong with the tires... until there is.   ;)

Despite my conservative riding style, I do know that my riding has changed a lot since I started - it naturally would.  At some point, probably gradually and unexpected, I'll gain enough riding time and experience, to do something that I and the bike are fine with, but the tires can't handle.  Then I'll know that my riding "skill", or at least confidence, has surpassed the traction of the tires.  I'm sure I'll appreciate the feeling of satisfaction at this as, at best, I'm sliding on my ass across the pavement.

Just something to think about, I guess...

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 12:35:08 pm
Am I the only one who thinks the stock 'skidmaster' tyres are quite good on the tarmac? I haven't pushed myself to the limits (very rarely), but here and there I do tend to give it a bit on the turns and these Avons hold up quite well  ::)

No your not. I've had something or another in the garage with Speedmasters / SM's on for more than 40 years now and never had one problem with any of them. 
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 01:22:40 pm
That SM rear is a great rear for toting a sidecar as it is a nice hard square rubber.   Does not hold a candle to a K70 for actual riding IMO. The SM front is good for nothing..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 04:28:05 pm
I'm convinced that the K 70's are a excellent tire especially if you ride in a manner that suggest something other than the English countryside leisure ride...I'm just plodding along on back country roads in Va., with the occasional straight path whereas I can open it up to 60 for a 5-10 minute spell...
I just replaced my front with a new SM this past spring..I did get 9.5 k out of the previous front, the original rear (06) SM still has 5k left on it....The fellows with the K70 are correct on their analysis and I just don't have the desire to change those dam things every 4k...I did change the front myself and suggest that whatever brand you decide on, try it once, so u can experience the fun of it...LOL...
Oh Magoo you done it again