Author Topic: Dunlop K70 Tires  (Read 28791 times)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
on: October 25, 2012, 05:15:41 pm
Most of my long riding career has been spent on Dunlop K70's, Except for the years I was able to buy the inexpensive Japanese Clone (Ching Shin). I liked the clones because the sidewalls never cracked after a few years. Now that Ching Shin Dunlop Clones have been discontinued, I was forced to buy the more expensive Dunlop K70's. I got them from Bike bandit for about $70. GUESS WHAT?  They are made in Japan & have a better rubber compound. In fact it feels just like the Ching Shins rubber. I will bet they won't dry out & crack. They certainly work well on rural twisty roads, Much better than the Avon Skid Masters My G5 deluxe came with.  Cheers, Craig McClure, Jasper Ga. USA
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:34:43 pm
I like K70s and use them on all my vintage bikes. You get a vintage looking tread pattern with a modern rubber compound, can't beat that. Prices are good as well, at least compared to modern sports or touring bike tires.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:15:58 pm
K70s work extremely well. Great handling, great grip, the only drawback is a short life. Expect around 4000 mile out of a rear. But they are cheap enough to be well worth it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:33:19 am
How do these compare with the "Avon Speedmaster Mark II" tires that came on my B5?  I know there's some other OEM tires that have a bad rap ("skidmasters"?).

mja

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:17:50 am
$80 for a rear tire on motorcycle-superstore .... unreal.   I'm in.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:31:58 am
+1 on the new Dunlops. Huge improvement over the Avon AM26s that came on my C5.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 10:21:45 am
And, what's the shelf-life of tires like these?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 05:51:01 pm
How do these compare with the "Avon Speedmaster Mark II" tires that came on my B5?  I know there's some other OEM tires that have a bad rap ("skidmasters"?).

Those ARE the Skidmasters. Avon SMs. They are horrible tires. If you have any desire at all to even be a bit sporty, they are going to, at least, scare you and they can hurt you! Sent my bike off a cliff! Right in there with the worst tires I've ever had.
The difference the K-70s and the Avons is not even a comparison. the K-70s steer better, overall handling is better, the "push" is gone, and they actually offer traction. And are pretty decent in the dirt.
Shelf life? I don't keep mine on a shelf. But I would guess as good as any. The ones I've bought were relatively new, a few months old.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 01:39:00 am
I thought it was the C5 models that had the trouble tires.  Well, there you go.  I haven't had any trouble yet, but I really don't challenge my bike in any way - I'm a new nervous rider.  I doubt anyone would call my riding style "sporty".

Shelf life, as in, should I buy a few while the price is still good?  But if they're only good for a few years, like auto tires, I probably wouldn't get through a few before they got too old...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:32:36 am
Shelf life can be lengthened with proper packaging and storage but why bother.
 The rubber compounds are improved slightly from time to time and manufacturing gets a little better at the same time. A K-70 bought next year will be at least as good as this years tire if not a little better.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 07:47:02 am
Am I the only one who thinks the stock 'skidmaster' tyres are quite good on the tarmac? I haven't pushed myself to the limits (very rarely), but here and there I do tend to give it a bit on the turns and these Avons hold up quite well  ::)  :-X. I've ridden in pouring rain a few times, although a bit more carefully of course, but I never once felt that the bike is going to slip O_O

Yes, I agree that if we are trying to avoid a turn with loose gravel or an oil slick, but can't, the front tyre may lose traction. Doesn't that happen with almost any tyre? Or I am misinformed.

Maybe it's because I'm a 20 year old noob and basically have 5000mi of riding experience lol.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:52:04 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 10:37:15 am
JVS-

That was kind of my point.  You're half my age, but you have twice my riding miles.  The limits I reach in my riding are defined by my own pucker factor, not the tire traction or lean angle limits.  So for me, there's nothing wrong with the tires... until there is.   ;)

Despite my conservative riding style, I do know that my riding has changed a lot since I started - it naturally would.  At some point, probably gradually and unexpected, I'll gain enough riding time and experience, to do something that I and the bike are fine with, but the tires can't handle.  Then I'll know that my riding "skill", or at least confidence, has surpassed the traction of the tires.  I'm sure I'll appreciate the feeling of satisfaction at this as, at best, I'm sliding on my ass across the pavement.

Just something to think about, I guess...

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 12:35:08 pm
Am I the only one who thinks the stock 'skidmaster' tyres are quite good on the tarmac? I haven't pushed myself to the limits (very rarely), but here and there I do tend to give it a bit on the turns and these Avons hold up quite well  ::)

No your not. I've had something or another in the garage with Speedmasters / SM's on for more than 40 years now and never had one problem with any of them. 
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 01:22:40 pm
That SM rear is a great rear for toting a sidecar as it is a nice hard square rubber.   Does not hold a candle to a K70 for actual riding IMO. The SM front is good for nothing..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 04:28:05 pm
I'm convinced that the K 70's are a excellent tire especially if you ride in a manner that suggest something other than the English countryside leisure ride...I'm just plodding along on back country roads in Va., with the occasional straight path whereas I can open it up to 60 for a 5-10 minute spell...
I just replaced my front with a new SM this past spring..I did get 9.5 k out of the previous front, the original rear (06) SM still has 5k left on it....The fellows with the K70 are correct on their analysis and I just don't have the desire to change those dam things every 4k...I did change the front myself and suggest that whatever brand you decide on, try it once, so u can experience the fun of it...LOL...
Oh Magoo you done it again

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 01:44:59 am
Have just changed from speedmaster/sm combo to am26 based on advise from other members. My experience with the speedmaster/sm combo back in the late '60s to mid '80s in the UK in all road conditions including snow and ice was good. K70s at the time were just as hard compound and did not track as well. But this was on somewhat better pavement overall than the SF bay area. Here we have a combination of hazards that the OEM tyres do not like. Ground-out lane changes from numerous  Caltrans experiments, differing pavement levels with 3" drop-offs and deep ruts and pot holes deep enough for the Titanic  to sink in are way beyond the speedmaster/sm combos abilities. And in the wet after any rain it's an oil slick whatever your wheels are shod with. All in all this is a shame because on a good road they do perform reasonably well on what is not a sport bike after-all. So far the AM26 combo is an improvement although they are taking getting used to. Ride is more stable on our local plowed fields , I880 in particular. In the wet, well thats another matter . But hey we have just had our first rain of the rainy  season that these strange Californian folks call 'winter'.  So it sounds like K70's have come a long way since the '60s when I had them on a BSA and a Triumph. All in all the best tyres I had on a bike were the '50s style Pirelli racing/road tyres on my '72 Mototrans Ducati 24 horas.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 05:49:37 pm
On my commute I have over 30 miles of nearly straight interstate highway. I have one turn as I'm nearing the office that's about 110 degrees, where I'm leaned over at 10 mpg enough to have scraped the pegs a time or two. No problems. What concerns me most is riding home in the pouring rain on tires with no channels that would send the water out to the edges. I made the ride once that way and didn't have a problem, but I held my speed to 45-50 mph all the way home. (And actually passed a few cars whose drivers obviously had no idea how capable their tires actually are!) In any case, I would like to have a more modern tread design just for days when the weatherman is wrong, or when he's right and I am too foolish to believe him.

Fortunately, the Speedmasters did fine last time out, so I'm no longer really worried about it.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 07:33:07 pm
Got caught in a rain squall three years ago about 4 miles from the house..I had to slow down to 40-45 mph...The SM did okay...I was soaked and boots had some water in them...The K70's have to be better than the SM....As been noted by many , the k70's are a superior tire in handling and control but won't perform better in mileage wear...I figure it's all in the riders demands/performance requirements.. I f anything, I probably like to change my SM out and see what this enhancement is all about and is it worth the it. Many have stated that it transformed the handling and overall experience...

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 11:16:04 pm
Hey, of course, the K70s must (are) be superior, no denying that. I was just saying that these SMs are not hopeless types lol, they are decent enough to keep the bike upright for average-moderate riding styles (for an Enfield).
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 02:41:57 am
i agree... until they wear out... the Avons are ok on my C5...

Ive done almost 15,000 kms so far... and they have a lot of life left in them yet hehe.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 09:35:46 pm
I LOVE how the K70's perform- dry pavement, rain, dirt, anything.  But they only last me 2,500 miles before they are on the wear indicators.  I can't hang with that.  My next tires will either be a pair of dual sport tires designed for the front wheel (only thing I can find that will fit) or I'll give the am26s a try.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 11:18:05 pm
jartist: Is it your riding style that wears out the k70's or are they that soft?...2500 on the wearmarks is a bit much...Its not like your hitting it hard on a cbr1000cc machine... :D

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 12:45:40 am
 I recently switched from K70's for the same reason. They just don't last. I'm now running AM26's and am hoping to get a longer service life. I'm on my 6th rear tire in 15,000 miles.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 01:40:27 am
I got 15000 kms out of the originals on the G5. I have run AM26's front and rear for about 1000 kms to date. I find that they are a much better handling tyre than the originals and install a lot more confidence in the rider especially in the occasional wet spots. I'm interested in seeing what mileages can be achieved with them.

Cheers  :)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 03:05:42 am
The k70s are soft, which is why they grip so well in the corners.  I run fairly hard but not crazy but I do run two up about 30% of the time which is really hard on tires. I think 3500 miles is what one should expect to get out of a rear k70.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 12:00:53 pm
........should I buy a few while the price is still good?.......

Not a few, but, if you want to buy your next set they will be OK.

I had a Maxxis Classic  (110/90 19  62H) sitting around in the garage since 2006.  I had the dealership mount it up on the rear before I took delivery of my B5 this year.

35 hundred miles, and, it still has half its original thickness.  No sidewall issues nor any noticable drying of the compound.  And, I *do* push the limits.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:09:16 pm by gremlin »
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 12:04:00 pm
.......The SM front is good for nothing.....

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 04:45:26 pm
......The SM front is good for nothing.....

It's good for getting to meet your insurance adjuster!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 11:41:28 pm
IIRC someone put on Kenda's on their C5 a while back and reported an improvement in straight line stability. I dont remember what they said about longevity and cornering.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 12:13:38 am
So far, my Avon Speedmaster original tires have done what I needed but the ribbed front tire's tread is getting a bit shallow at 7500 miles and I want to replace it.

The rear Speedmaster still has a lot of tread left and except for its flat shape that makes it look like I own a sidecar, it can go another 4-5 thousand miles before it will need replacing.

The original ribbed SM tire is a hard tire with little 'bite' but it does seem to deliver good mileage.
It seldom rains in Phoenix and because in my 45 years of riding almost every time I dropped my bikes it was due to wet streets I try to avoid riding in the rain like I avoid the plague.

This seems to leave the original Speedmasters as an option.

From what I'm reading, the Dunlap K70's are "wonnerful" unless you don't like replacing tires every 2500 miles.  I don't ride hard and replacing motorcycle tires every 2500-3000 miles isn't my idea of fun.
This doesn't rule out the K70's but I'm waiting for someone who rides nice and easy to tell me that mileages of 5000-6000 are possible.

The Avon AM26 seems to be a compromise but I'm still waiting to hear someone say they will last at least 7500 miles when ridden easily.
Is there anyone here that can give me some idea about what sort of life they have and how well they handle various paved roads?

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 01:52:09 am
My originalAvon AM26s on my C5 are at over 11,000 miles with plenty if tread left.  The tread has started to feather a bit from wear but they're still very serviceable.

The AM26s are pretty good but I'm curious about the Battlax BT45.  I think I'll try them next to see if they're better, especially in the wet.

Scott
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:18:16 am by Ducati Scotty »

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:10 am
the K70 will work wonderfully on your front wheel, you can expect 7K miles from the front.

The rear .....  not so much ......
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 09:30:04 pm
Thanks everyone. :)

I called Nfieldgear this morning and they said they had 1 Dunlop K70 in stock so I ordered it.
Their price was a bit higher than some other places but I figure the difference was worth keeping our bikes importer in business.

The tire is supposed to ship today which will put it here around the first of next week.
Keeping fingers crossed. :)

(Hopefully they order some more K70's.
It worries me a bit to see our supporting company running its parts business right on the ragged edge by having just one very popular tire in stock.  Not a good way to keep the customers happy.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 09:37:18 pm
the K70 will work wonderfully on your front wheel, you can expect 7K miles from the front.

The rear .....  not so much ......

Which raises the obvious question of what longer wearing rear would match a K70 front.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 01:42:16 am
I don't know many shops who are stocking up on tires at the end if the riding season. 

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 04:07:00 am
Well, it is the end of riding season for some poor people but far from it for others like me and bare. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 04:10:19 am
You sunny state guys....

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 08:11:38 am

The AM26s are pretty good but I'm curious about the Battlax BT45.  I think I'll try them next to see if they're better, especially in the wet.

Scott
[/quote]

What is the Battlax bt45? I googled it and literally nothing showed up....which has never happened before. To anyone. Ever.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 12:02:48 pm
Which raises the obvious question of what longer wearing rear would match a K70 front.

The stock skid-master comes to mind  ;)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 05:09:57 pm
Might actually be a good match.  It's common on sport bikes and sport touring bikes to run a sticky front but a harder wearing rear to match the mileage better.  Anyone have traction complaints about the stock G5 rear tire?

Oh, and on my earlier post on the Battlax...  I like that tire because it comes in stock sizes for the C5 and is supposed to be pretty good overall and pretty good in the wet.  I live in Portland OR so that matters to me.  I prefer Michelin Pilot Road tires but they don't make them in C5 sizes.  Sadly, I don't think they make the Battlax in G5 sizes :(

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: November 01, 2012, 06:27:07 pm

Next year I'll be trying a Shinko dual-sport tire for my rear.  It has a smaller land-to-void ratio than the K70, and, is just as thick.  It's rated 80/20 street-to-trail use.  I'm guessing the Shinko and K70 will wear out about the sametime.

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: November 01, 2012, 09:52:14 pm
I see the Battlax BT45 is available in the 100/90-19 size that would work on the rear of a G5.
The only BT45 that is a 90/90 is for a 21 inch rim.

http://www.bikebandit.com/bridgestone-battlax-bt45-motorcycle-tire

I wonder if there is enough room under the front mudguard to run a 100/90-19 on a G5?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #43 on: November 01, 2012, 10:02:18 pm
There's a tire that NField Gear lists for the G5 front or rear, I think it's the K81 4.10"x19".  My shop was trying to fit it to a G5 front and it just barely fit in there.  It was really close to rubbing the fender at the sidewall.  They even bent the fender in a bit by the fork tube to make more room and it was still too close for comfort.  The owner was bummed, it looked really nice on the bike but was just too close to rubbing to be safe.

Anyway, a lot of tire manufacturers have specs on their sites.  You could look up and compare knowing that one is just a little too big.
Scott

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: November 01, 2012, 11:11:35 pm
  My shop was trying to fit it to a G5 front and it just barely fit in there.  It was really close to rubbing the fender at the sidewall.  They even bent the fender in a bit by the fork tube to make more room and it was still too close for comfort. 

The clearance would of course improve once you got a few miles up :D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 11:56:35 pm
If you went cafe and took the fender off entirely it would probably be fine.  We thought about grinding away that part of the fender but figured that would make it really floppy.  Oh, and in typical RE fashion the clearance was fine on one side and tight on the other.  It might be fine all around on some bikes but you wouldn't know until you mounted it.  Symmetry is overrated ;)

Scott

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 02:53:26 am
Im running a 3.5 inch k70 on the front on my G5 and there's plenty of room so I'd say a 100/90 19 should fit on the front as well. I don't notice any adverse effects of having matching sizes front and rear. Maybe insignificant harder steering but the steering is still perfectly balanced.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:55:37 am by jartist »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: November 10, 2012, 03:56:30 am
I got my new K70 installed at a local motorcycle shop and after 40 miles at speeds up to (an indicated) 77 mph it's working great.

I think the tire will work much better in the rain than my old Avon Speedmaster II (see photo).
At 7600 miles (12,260km) it was down to a tread depth of 1/32" (0,81mm) in the center groove.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: November 10, 2012, 04:32:37 am
Listening to the talk about fatter tires. I realize this is "fashionable" in some quarters, but need to point out (because apparently many don't know) that NARROW TIRES CORNER BETTER on the light Enfield type bikes. Lets be clear, there all are kinds of pictures of just about everything to be seen, but that doesn't mean they work any better. Like a certain V-twin motorcycle I won't name, that is more about theater than performance.  Yes, the racers use some fatties on small wheels, but they also have the horsepower to make use of the bigger foot print. On a light bike a bigger footprint will aquaplane easier than a small footprint in the wet. It will not bite enough to improve performance-only make handling sluggish. I would not put anything bigger than a 3.25 on the front, or a 3.50 on the rear of a Royal Enfield. I also prefer the 19" wheels on the G5 series, as they allow better ground clearance during sporty cornering.  Guess you need to decide wether you want a chopper, a cruiser, or a nimble motorcycle with classic ancestry. You should always question the wisdom of what the other Primates are doing, before before you follow their example.
             Craig McClure, Jasper Ga. 2010 G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #49 on: November 10, 2012, 06:13:09 am
+1, +2, and +3 to that!  If you're not breaking the rear end loose stay with a narrower tire for better handling.

The Ducati Monster I had comes with a 160 and it does look a bit anemic on that rather brutish bike.  Still, it's plenty wide enough for good traction.  People go through all kinds of hassles to shoehorn a 180 on there.  Now you've got a tire that's a hair's breadth away from the swingarm on both sides and the profile is all screwed up because it's squeezed on to a rim that's too tight.  But it looks fast!  ;D  Please.

Scott

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: November 10, 2012, 06:12:59 pm
I like the "wagon wheel" look of old fashioned off road tires on the old bikes an jeeps.  And from my experience, they perform better, crawl over bad terrain better.  The big balloon tires give you a comfortable ride though, like driving on a cloud!

That being said, 3.25 vs 3.5 is probably not enough of a difference to matter terribly much.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: November 10, 2012, 06:29:15 pm
...... 3.25 vs 3.5 is probably not enough of a difference to matter terribly much.

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: November 10, 2012, 06:50:01 pm
Guys put 200s on bikes that should have 190s and generally the steering and handling have been impared. The steering is slower and the "stick" isn't any better.
These bikes are designed with a purpose and the tires are fitted to match that purpose. If they had intended for bigger tires to be put on, they would have done it.
Not that I have anything against a guy putting larger tires on, but you may or may not like the consequences.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: November 11, 2012, 02:46:18 am
Tire sizes aren't tire sizes anyway.  Some manufactures have posted actual dimensions and there are some surprises. K70 3.25 have very close to the same outside diameter as the 3.5 and you're talkin' less than a cm width difference. The Avon AM26 3.25-19 are really close to the 100/90-19 in width but the 3.25 have a much greater o.d. than the 100/90. Go figure!

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: November 11, 2012, 03:28:09 am
+1 Jartist ! When I was running a K70 3.25 on the front of my G5 , my favorite ride was exactly 160 miles. I mounted an Avon AM26 sized at 100/90 and my trip has been extended to 166 miles now . Go figure. Smaller O.D. for sure but it sticks like glue so I am not complaining.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: November 11, 2012, 10:33:04 pm
Tire sizes aren't tire sizes anyway.  Some manufactures have posted actual dimensions and there are some surprises. K70 3.25 have very close to the same outside diameter as the 3.5 and you're talkin' less than a cm width difference. The Avon AM26 3.25-19 are really close to the 100/90-19 in width but the 3.25 have a much greater o.d. than the 100/90. Go figure!

Technically The 3.25 should be a "square" profile (3.25" wide by 3.25" high) and the 100/90 is a low (wide) profile tire which is nominally 100 mm  (3.93") wide by 90 mm  (3.54" high). In the end though its like shoe sizes, no two brands are guaranteed to be the same.

I suppose in the end its "fit and see".

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:36:45 pm by GlennF »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 12:26:15 am
This has been asleep for awhile, but...

I'm thinking about changing to K70's, but I'm not sure about sizing and specs.  I see some listed for sale as front or rear tires; does it make a difference?

I still have the OEM Avons - the manual says 3.25x19 in front and 3.5x19 on the rear.  Should I be trying to get the same sizes?  I kind of like the look of a chunkier tire, but it looks like the only 19 inch tires K70's are 3.25 and 3.5 sizes.  Should I stick with one of each, like my owners manual says?

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 12:28:47 am
Mattsz, those sizes front and rear would be perfect.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #58 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:26 am
Thanks Jack - it's fun to shop around for them and find reviews written by you and Bare...

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: January 08, 2013, 12:43:09 am
Mattsz my friend, motorcyclesuperstore.com has them cheap and you cant beat their delivery times. Just saying . . .

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #60 on: January 08, 2013, 12:45:54 am
Yup, that's where I'm seeing your reviews...   8)

Thanks!!!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: January 08, 2013, 12:49:48 am
For those interested, my Dunlop K70 front tire has over 1300 miles on it and it shows very little wear.

I'm far from a 'canyon carver' like bare but based on his comments about how sticky the K70 is, I expected it to wear out pretty fast.  Such is not the case with my riding style. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: January 08, 2013, 12:54:21 am
For those interested, my Dunlop K70 front tire has over 1300 miles on it and it shows very little wear.

I'm far from a 'canyon carver' like bare but based on his comments about how sticky the K70 is, I expected it to wear out pretty fast.  Such is not the case with my riding style. :)

That is good to know.

Though I believe its actually the K70 rear that some people are unhappy with.

Whether the tire is too soft will depend a lot on both your riding style and the distance you cover per year. If you ride 20,000 miles a year a 4000 mile rear tire would get annoying very quickly. On the other hand if you ride 2000 miles a year it would be fine.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: January 08, 2013, 01:04:37 am
 For what its worth, I completely wore out 5 rear K70s to 1 K70 front tire in roughly 12,000 miles. Being 240 lbs definitely didn't help plus all the canyon riding. With that being said, Ive gotten really good at changing rear tires out. I'm am currently running Avon AM26's and can tell that I'm going to get better wear out of the rear . The AM26's work very well but I still miss the K70's. It was just time to try something else and see if they last longer.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #64 on: January 08, 2013, 03:59:40 am
I have been riding 40 years....Holy S$&@t...many thousands of miles...keep good tires, be smart and you will be fine. Last time I fell off, I was 19 and took a corner too fast on my 650 Triumph. It was spring in Western NY and all that sand that accumulated at a T road corner caused me to slide down. Got up and hit my head on the bumper of the car that was following me, who damned near ran over my young, dumb ass.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: January 08, 2013, 04:03:49 am
You will like them in those sizes! I also changed rear shocks & front fork oil, now I really enjoy the handling.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: January 08, 2013, 05:27:59 am
.........I really don't challenge my bike in any way - I'm a new nervous rider.  I doubt anyone would call my riding style "sporty"........

We know, your fuelly result speaks volumes .....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: January 08, 2013, 05:29:59 am
...........The SM front is good for nothing..

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #68 on: January 08, 2013, 06:22:00 pm
Not true.  It looks great on a concourse display bike that only gets rolled on and off the trailer for shows.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: January 08, 2013, 10:27:31 pm
Not true.  It looks great on a concourse display bike that only gets rolled on and off the trailer for shows.

Scott

You would need to be careful using the front brake while pushing it off the trailer with those metal bike ramp things though.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #70 on: January 08, 2013, 10:33:49 pm
I was going to mention that.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #71 on: January 13, 2013, 01:07:05 pm
K70's are on their way.  When it comes time to install them, I assume I'll find rim tape?  Will it likely be re-usable after only 2K miles, or should I be prepared to replace it?  OEM, or duct-tape?

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: January 13, 2013, 04:11:58 pm
Mattsz: I changed my front over the summer with 10k on the tire and the rim tape was in decent shape..I did some small amount of duct tape in spots that were slightly worn ..I keep the tire pressure around 30-32 psi which works for me...GM

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: January 13, 2013, 04:52:03 pm
Hi Matt, Whoever changes your tires probably stocks rim tapes. Wouldn't hurt to ask about it when phoning around. I just happened to have new inner tubes to use as well. My G5 Deluxe needed new rim tape with only 3.5K miles on it. Seems the rims aren't finished as well on the inside, & mine had grown rust that the people who changed the tire wire brushed off, & used a rust reformer on. So mine got new rim tape & tubes. Also check to see if the shop you use has SPOKE WEIGHTS,many don't now, & use stick-ons that fall of when hot.   New K70's require a little run in to wear off most of the little mold nubs before fierce cornering. but from new you should feel the improvement.  Cheers!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #74 on: January 13, 2013, 05:32:16 pm
Thanks Craig-

I'll give all of your statements consideration; only there is no shop.  I'll be doing it on my own (hence all the noobie questions  ;) ).  I'll pay careful attention to the condition of the rim innards and treat them accordingly.

As for balancing, well - I haven't thought quite that far ahead yet...

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: January 13, 2013, 05:52:05 pm
RE: balance -- the tires should come with a mark (little circle) that is to be positioned at the valvestem location.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: January 14, 2013, 12:09:06 am
When I was a young guy I changed my own tires exclusively, I have some nice tire tools about 20" long. But after pinching tubes a few times, I felt it was better economy to let a shop do it that had even better tools/experience + could spin balance etc. I got my tires mounted for $30. each & don't regret the cost.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: January 14, 2013, 12:55:27 am
I had a new tube fitted to the rear last week and they only charged $30 Australia. However I took the rear wheel off myself, it would have cost more if the shop removed the wheel.

One thing to check is that the shop has left the valve stem nut loose. if you tighten it too much you will get a split in the tube the first time you let the tire pressure get too low.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #78 on: May 08, 2013, 01:25:51 am
I can only buy 17" rim strips locally.  They stretch to match the old 19" strip pretty easily.  Any reason not to use the smaller size?

$3 for two 19" strips and $8 - $10 to ship them is a good reason to use the local ones...

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: May 08, 2013, 01:29:35 am
Mattsz, I use to use just plain old duct tape on my desert bikes. Works like a champ !

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #80 on: May 08, 2013, 06:53:15 pm
Mattsz, I use to use just plain old duct tape on my desert bikes. Works like a champ !
Ditto
2013 Bonniville T 100 (sold)
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: May 08, 2013, 10:05:14 pm
How to avoid pinching tubes. Add enough air to keep the tube from wrinkling after you have it back in the tire, before applying the tire irons! It doesn't take much air and it saves a lot of tubes.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #82 on: May 08, 2013, 10:06:15 pm
How to avoid pinching tubes. Add enough air to keep the tube from wrinkling after you have it back in the tire, before applying the tire irons! It doesn't take much air and it saves a lot of tubes.
Bare

He speaks the truth, ask me how I know ;)

patndhat

• Scooter
Reply #83 on: May 08, 2013, 10:35:29 pm
Odd...my Avons are "Road Masters" not "Speed Masters" and came stock on the bike. I'm quite happy with them.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #84 on: May 09, 2013, 12:56:12 am
Thanks for the tube tip!  I've got the awareness of pinching left over from my bicycling days!

I bought a pair of 17" rim strips anyway - just a couple of bucks from a local grump.  He says he's used the smaller size in larger rims without any trouble.  I found a site that is selling a single size rim strip that supposedly fits 17" through 19" rims, so I'm not gonna worry about it!  If I don't like the look of them, I'll consider the duct tape.

I'm really looking forward to getting those tires changed out - the rear one soon, with my swing-arm re-installation, and the front ASAP after that with my fork oil change...