Author Topic: 2009 AVL Deluxe?  (Read 5044 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: October 24, 2012, 11:20:30 pm
I noticed there is a 2009 AVL for sale in my area and although I am completely happy with my 2011 G5 I'm toying with buying it.

I haven't contacted the owner yet so I don't know if it has the updated green control box but it has very few miles on it.

My question is, are there engine and transmission parts in case I ever need them and things like oil filters readily available for these bikes?

I know the engine is a upgraded iron barrel but did they change the connecting rod bearing from a floating sleeve bearing to a roller bearing?

What kind of highway cruising speeds can I expect from it?

With the leading shoes style front brake how does it compare with the UCE front disk?  (I haven't owned a bike with a front drum brake for 40 years).

Any good thoughts or warnings about this year of RE AVL's?

Here's a link to the bike and, yes, I know it's not a Cafe racer and if he actually did pay $8000 he got tooken.  ;D

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/3346902213.html
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:03:03 am
Mmmmm,,,,AVL goodness  8)

Shaft mounted rockers. Quench chamber head. CV carb. Alloy cylinder. Modern Piston. Full roller crank of pressed up construction with forged steel con rod riding on needle roller bearings on a 30 mm crank pin. Cams mounted on adjustable spindles for quieter operation. Gear type oil pumps (pumps over 4x the oil volume of Iron Barrel plunger pumps) Electronic Ignition. The engine was designed and built to cruise at 60-65 all day.

Interestingly the AVL uses the same basic crank case castings as the Iron Barrel engine. With some machine work they could be interchanged.

The 5 speed Iron Barrels and the AVL use the same transmission and clutch.
IIRC the UCE uses the I.B./AVL 5 speed internals but with the shafts stacked vertically instead of horizontally like the I.B. and AVL. BTW parts and service are still available and should be for a long time.

Disc brake kits are available last time I checked. I think it is a worthwhile mod.

I own and ride and Iron Barrel and can report that my drum brakes are indeed  adequate within its envelope.

I have test ridden a UCE and can report that the front disc brake on them is a definite improvement over the drum brakes. The disc set up offers a better lever feel, shorter stopping distance and are fade free.

Since the Bullet in the pics is an AVL Classic (A.K.A. AVL Bullet) and not and ElectraX, all the accessories ( other than engine parts ) for an Iron Barrel Bullet will bolt right on.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:20:07 am
Boy that is a good lookin bike, with that few of miles and that price I would be very tempted.

Of course the warranty is not transferable.  It is my understanding the AVL uses the same oil filter as the UCE.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Michael Marsceill

• Scooter
  • 2009 AVL Deluxe
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:44:19 pm
I have the same bike and love it. 8000 miles no issues except the sprag. The Warrantee is not tranferable as mentioned in an earlier post. I believe you can still get the green CDI as a warrantee replacement. Also, that bike did not come stock with a single seat. May have been a dealer installes option. There were a few NOS leftovers that sold for $5000 OTD in early 2011. Still, the asking price is fair.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 06:40:27 pm
NField stocks the oil filters. 

I don't feel like my 2007 AVL is at all qualified for the highway for more than a quick 65 mph jump up an exit or two.  Other than that it doesn't have the power to keep up with highway speeds and has no power to overtake if you are already up to 60mph.  Around town or back road twisties? Quite nice like any other RE.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Ledyard

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:11:59 pm
I have a 2009 AVL Bullet Classic, and was able to get a replacement green CDI, even though I had no warranty. I would concur on the top speed limits -- I've had mine over 60 on occasion, but it is much happier at 50-55. I've also recently had trouble with kick-starting it, and need to read through this forum again for tips on that.

When I bought it (from a Triumph dealer who had never seen a Royal Enfield), the salesman told me the electronic ignition was completely broken. Based on that, I didn't even try it for about a month. After swapping out the CDI, I tried the e-ignition with the compressor swith held down, and it fired right up. Now it will only e-start if I've been rding it for awhile and stop.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 10:28:05 pm
Agreed. 20 city miles a day isn't enough to keep the battery charged enough for the e-start to work.  Only after fully charging it will that little button crank it over on my AVL.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 11:53:45 pm
Looks like a nice bike at a fair price. Clearly the current owner doesn't have a clue about it, just about everything he wrote is incorrect.

mattjohnson207

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 11:07:14 pm
first address the oil dumping issues... I was unaware and almost got
BITA .  Got it under control with the Bunn Breather.  His website has great ideas if you want to improvise, I don't see why a pcv valve fom autozone wouldn't work as well, though Bunn says not.  I think  with the oem bazooka setup I had  overheating of the spark plug, almost white electrodes... even in the winter.   lost all that stuff, wisht I'd done it when it had 98 miles on it!  I love this bike, Got a wing for the  freeway, so  the 45 mph I mostly ride at is not an issue.   Deffinately watch the oil dumping, could lose 1/2 qt in 20 miles or so...scarey.  But I got 5K troublefree miles, one year now. Plan on fireballing it if I can find an old iron barrel.   Matt in Glendale

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 03:10:13 pm
When I bought it (from a Triumph dealer who had never seen a Royal Enfield), the salesman told me the electronic ignition was completely broken. Based on that, I didn't even try it for about a month. After swapping out the CDI, I tried the e-ignition with the compressor swith held down, and it fired right up. Now it will only e-start if I've been rding it for awhile and stop.

Don't you mean electric start not electronic ignition? It wouldn't run at all if the electronic ignition was "completely broken".
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 03:26:36 pm
Mmmmm,,,,AVL goodness  8)

Since the Bullet in the pics is an AVL Classic (A.K.A. AVL Bullet) and not and ElectraX, all the accessories ( other than engine parts ) for an Iron Barrel Bullet will bolt right on.

I think you'll find it's an AVL Deluxe not a Classic. The Deluxe has the chrome, the Classic does not.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:19:38 pm
My luck seems to be unchanged.
I decided to buy it if it had a clear Arizona title and was in as good of condition as it looked to be so I called the owner today to set up a time to go over to see the bike and he said, "In about an hour the guy who's buying it will be over to pick it up." 
I called back two hours later and it was gone. :(

Oh well.  Maybe a nice Iron Barrel or another AVL will be available on the local market some day.  ::)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 11:03:53 pm
Thanks for the link.
It's too bad that I would have to ride it 85 miles at 85 mph on I-17 to get it home.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Alaska 09 AVL

• Neophyte
  • 2009 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe AVL
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 05:34:11 am
My wife purchased the 2009 AVL Deluxe.  She loves the bike.  It had a couple of problems, minor, that I repaired/adjusted when we got the bike home.  I have a couple of Harleys and a Goldwing that I ride.  This is a nice change of pace.  I have enjoyed reading all the comments.  I know nothing about Royal Enfields.  This is a great help.  Is there anything I should Know or do?
Cliff
Cliff
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe AVL