Author Topic: 2009 AVL Deluxe?  (Read 5055 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 10:21:45 pm
Congratulations on beating me to it. :)

The AVL engines electric starter sprag clutch is a weakness.  If your wife is up to it, kick starting the bike for normal rides and saving the electric starter for special occasions like the engine dieing in traffic, this might be a good idea.

Another thing that can be done that might help the clutch last is to use the compression release when shutting the engine off.

I think that with the engine just idling, if the compression release on the left handlebar is pushed to the open position, the drop in pressure will kill the engine.  If it doesn't, after applying the compression release, turn off the ignition switch, keeping the compression release applied until the engine stops turning.

The idea here is that a big 500cc piston, when coming up on its last compression stroke will kick back.  This reversing of the crankshaft rotation will lock up the sprag clutch and put a hell of a jolt of torque thru it.
By using the compression release, the piston will not kick back as the engine comes to rest so the sprag clutch won't be engaged. 

This idea was incorporated into the new fuel injected UCE's with their automatic compression release and it seems to have helped a lot.

When kickstarting the bike use the compression release to help get the piston up to TDC.  Watching the ammeter for any movement can help to figure out when it is there.

Once at TDC, release the compression release lever and give a good strong full downward kick.  This will get the piston thru the next compression stroke.  Like most carburetored engines, some messing with the fuel enrichment system will be needed if the engine is cold.
Have fun with the bike.
They are a true touch of history  (perhaps) matched only by Harley. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Alaska 09 AVL

• Neophyte
  • 2009 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe AVL
Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 10:41:11 pm
Thanks for the information.  We will try the compression release shutoff.
Cliff
Cliff
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe AVL

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 03:58:24 am
You should also look at the Ignition Control Unit.
I'm guessing it is under the seat and has several wires attached to it.

If you find a black plastic box it is the old model.  If it is green, it has been updated to the latest configuration.

My reading leads me to believe the old black control unit could set the ignition timing wrong during starting causing starting (and sprag clutch?) problems.

The folks at Classic Motor Works (the importer of the RE into the US) will send you the new green replacement (free) if you call them and give them the serial number of your bike.
I think you can reach them at the same number that is used by "nfieldgear", the web site that sells all sorts of stuff for our Royal Enfields.
That phone number is 800-358-0938.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary