Author Topic: Check those bolts ...  (Read 2841 times)

mja

• Scooter
on: October 20, 2012, 04:34:07 am
It's a good idea to periodically check the bolts on these bikes.  I have read this numerous times on this forum, and now I get it.   Two days ago I noticed my C5 was backfiring every now and then.  Nothing too out of the ordinary, I guessed.   Over the next day the engine got progressively louder and the backfiring more persistent.  Upon my return home, I found that one of the flange bolts on the exhaust at the cylinder head was *missing*, and the other bolt very loose along with the pipe itself.    Oh well ....  :o

I'm having a hard time getting the exhaust to make a good seal against the cylinder head.  I think I'll check the gasket first, but any other suggestions are welcome if you have any! 

-m

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:51:21 am
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure someone will come along in a minute with some good ideas.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 05:18:41 am
MJA, If it were me, I would get a couple exhaust gaskets on order. You may have to wait awhile for them. In the mean time , you could clean the mating surfaces well and apply a bead of high temperature RTV or silicone sealer and let it dry overnight then bolt the header back on. I have read on this forum somewhere that the stuff works. I feel your pain !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 05:50:33 am
Welcome....
Don't feel too bad, the same thing happened to me.  :-[
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 01:20:51 pm
We've all had this happen...I got in a fix where I had to substitute a Japanese metal gasket (that I had to cut down to fit) until I could get the RE ones..I ordered several..they aren't very sturdy. Make it a point to run a wrench over those exhaust nuts at every opportunity!

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 01:41:43 pm
When you get your gaskets and reassemble it, use nyloc nuts. I have them and haven't had a problem since'. Probally about 1500 Kms now.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 05:34:24 pm
Metal lock nuts would be better.
bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 06:10:07 pm
+1, nylon won't take the heat well.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 07:43:27 pm

This should help choose the fastener you want.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-locknuts/=jt06fe

I don't know if you know this next part already but if you do just skip it.

When using any self locking fastener don't forget to adjust the final torque values to correct for the added friction of the self locking feature.

Measure how much torque it takes to turn the self locking fastener and add that figure to the torque specified in the book for the fastener you are replacing, the sum of two is your corrected torque value for that fastener.
In this way the part gets the correct clamping load.

A word of caution about "Nylock" ( generic term nowadays ) nuts.
 The plastic component comes in different materials hardness and durability, depending on the specifications to  suite different applications and operating enviroments. Some have more grip than others, some are reusable and some are not. It all depends on selecting the correct spec for your application.

I hope this helps.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

mja

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 11:16:17 pm
I was able to find a gasket at the dealer in Richmond VA (Velocity Motorcycles) - they just got a shipment.  The flange nut I salvaged from my previously owned GSX-R. 

I removed the exhaust, and there was no gasket in place.  Guess it's in the pipe or was never there in the first place.   After adding the new gasket all is well.   They *are* fragile.  I'll take the advice to stock up on a few more.

Thanks for all the great info!   

-matt
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:20:36 am by mja »

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 12:14:31 am
+1!

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 05:11:23 am
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the UCE exhaust gasket? I can't seem to locate it at the Nfield Gear site...
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:44:50 am
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the UCE exhaust gasket? I can't seem to locate it at the Nfield Gear site...
As far as I know that is a dealer item. They have the parts book and order directly from Royal Enfield. That keeps the dealer in the picture. The Nfield Gear site is mostly for accessories and maintenance items  that they probably don't stock anyway. That's why I use Hitchcock's.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 06:51:33 am
510804.  If you poke around online you should be able to find a PDF parts book for your bike.  Some of the numbers in mine have been outdated but it gets me to what I need.  Worst case I print the page and highlight what I want.

Scott