Author Topic: Opinion on purchasing new 2009 Bullet C5 EFI  (Read 4038 times)

Supesguy

• Scooter
on: October 22, 2012, 03:44:23 am
Hello! I'm new here and am needing some guidance on buying a C5.  There is a 2009 Bullet C5 for sale from a dealer in my area.  It is an EFI/UCE engine.  The bike is new, it has never been sold.  The dealer states they received it in early 2010 as the new EFI models were coming in.  It has never been sold.  When sold, it will come with the full manufacturer's warranty.  It does have 23 miles on the odometer.  I am assuming from test rides.  It looks fantastic. 

This would be my first motorcycle.  I have ridden a 500cc sport bike before and am planning on taking a motorcycle basic learner's course soon.  I really am smitten by the RE's vintage look.  I am not seeking speed or power, rather simply a competent standard bike for mostly city commuting and joy riding.  To be clear, I do not have a thirst for speeds over 70 mph or crazy acceleration.  I love the look and sound of the Bullets. 

I have a few questions:
1.) Should I be concerned about the 2009 model EFI still being on the lot?
2.) What questions should I ask the dealer?
3.) Are there any drawbacks of a 2009 vs. 2012?
4.) What kind of fees are reasonable/to be expected when buying a new motorcycle?

If there is nothing wrong with the motorcycle, this appears be a good deal on a new C5.  It is currently listed for $5495.  I would think there should be a decent amount of wiggle room for negotiation as the bike has been on the lot for 2 years.  Surely they are anxious to sell it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 04:55:06 am
2009 had transmission problems.  There was a fully funded recall to fix it.  Ask if the recall work was done.  If it was, there are usually some extra punch marks near the engine serial number, near the left foot peg.  If the work has not been done get it done.  Without it the transmission can seize and lock solid at speed.

Other than that there are lots if small improvements they make along the way but nothing else major.

Does that price include freight and prep?

Scott

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:00:33 am
Does it have a kickstarter on it? I'm not positive when they got phased-in on all C5s, but the earlier ones didn't have them. IF there is no kickstarter, it should be discounted a little more, in my opinion, esp. since the 2013s are just around the corner.  I got a great deal (same price range you're talking about) on a new '12 C5 which has not only the kickstart but also the 19" front wheel. The bigger front wheel gives better stability at highway speeds, but some say it comes at the price of reduced maneuverability at low speeds. Personally I find the bike so light and narrow I think its fine.  I guess it depends on how many RE's are available in your area; if there are more around it wouldn't hurt to press for a better deal.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 05:02:09 am
'09s and '10s did not have kick starters.

Scott

Supesguy

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 06:04:43 am
Scott, thanks for the information on the transmission.  I did an initial search and found that it seems to be a limited number of G5's only that had the problem.  I will contact RE customer service directly to see if the specific C5 I'm looking at was affected. 

ADB

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:35:00 pm
This might give you some information too:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,14259.msg151761.html#msg151761
I ended up buying a "new" 2010 C5 from a dealer in May of this year...I don't really miss the kicker, and am still happy i went with the 2010 vs the 2012 and saved myself the $1000, (my out the door price was $6000 even).
Either way, you'll love the bike.

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:07:54 pm
I purchased a new 2009 G5 last December, which had the transmission work done, and am extremely happy with it. I really like the kick start, but if you don't need it it is a good way to save a substantial amount of money. Try and get them to include the improved oil filter cover and the full sized headlight. The OEM 5 1/2" headlight is useless. I would also try to get an EFI silencer thrown in as well, because I am cheeky.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 11:46:55 pm
I have a 2010 C5 with electric start only, I wish it had a kickstart as well because at the back of my mind that 'sprag clutch' worries me!
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 12:05:23 am
Appearently the transmission recall was for the G5 only.

Here's some information from the horses mouth (Kevin McHoney)

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4510.msg51759.html#msg51759

and

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,5304.msg60594.html#msg60594
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:17:30 pm
... oops ...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:24:54 pm by gremlin »
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 06:30:14 pm
A possible fault exists in the gearboxes on all the EFI machines with VIN numbers below those ending in 001116.

These were a very few of the first batch of UCEs which were all G5s. This was before the C5s and obviously the B5s were in  production. The problem was a clearance thing between the mainshaft and thrird gear which could cause the gearbox to seize.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:56:53 pm
The REcall in the US was later extended to include all of the 09 G5s, E5s and C5s.
It included 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears, the mainshaft and the drive side roller and ball bearings.
I don't think the addition to the REcall was a mandatory REcall but just Kevin making sure there were no problems with any of the early bikes.
The dealers got to do the bikes they had in stock and Scooter Bob did the majority of the rest of them. The bikes that had the work done on them should have 2 dots (centerpunch marks) after the serial # on the left bottom side of the crankcase.  The bikes Scooter Bob did have SB painted on top of the rocker cover.
(the ones I did have "CJ was here" and the date on the inside of the crankcase)
Personally I don't see any problem to owning a REcall bike. They all got sold and you don't hear of any major problems with them in any of the groups.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 11:14:01 pm
Obvious changes in the current model are the kick-start (works well but mainly cosmetic -  also has performance anxiety and is guaranteed to non-start if girls are watching) and the 19" front wheel option (more stable at freeway speeds).

There is one small advantage to the non kick-start models. It allows you to fit a bigger front sprocket.

Supesguy

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 03:48:02 am
Thanks for all the input regarding the model and any potential problems.  It sounds as if the bike is probably good.  Can anyone comment on price expectations? As I stated, the bike has a tag on it of $5495. It's been in dealership since 2010.  What kind of negotiation room do you think I have? I do understand the profit margin is pretty slim.  What do you think is reasonable for prep and shipping on their end of the deal?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 05:43:40 am
Prep and shipping probably cost $400-600.  Though the profit margin is slim this bike is old enough that I'm betting they'll sell it at a loss just to get rid of it.  I would think you should pay under $6k out the door.  $5700-5800 would be a good deal if freight, prep, and title/registration are included.  Tax is tax and if your state has that you gotta pay it on top of the final price.  They just pass it on to the government, they're not making anything. 

If they're not willing to go as low as you like get things like first service or some oil changes thrown in.  First service is usually $100-300 and comes up pretty quickly if you like riding your new bike.  If you need accessories or gear you can ask to have that included or discounted. 

Scott