Author Topic: Side stand switch  (Read 13360 times)

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 10:22:34 am
Bravo to your dealer for disconnecting it and not crying about some liability crap. 

Scott
While I was getting Mowgli serviced and having some work done the other day, I asked about this at the dealership. The guy in the service dept pretty much reached down and disconnected, then was getting ready to zip tie/cap it for me. I told him not to worry about it, I'd take care of it myself later.  No hedging, or waiver required.
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 06:33:49 pm
government mandated safety regulations contribute to diluting the gene pool. let me worry about my kickstand, headlight, etc. i just need some help getting the lid off the aspirin bottle! and i think i could live with a right side shifter, too.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 07:31:00 pm
Gotta ride a right side shifter bike one day...

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 07:57:21 pm
Gotta ride a right side shifter bike one day...
I like it.  Nice, intuitive and quicker upshifting for me, but I have to remain mindful the right side is not a brake!  Adjusting to left foot brake is less intuitive - I assume from driving cars.  I wouldn't hesitate to ride a bike so equipped.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 08:10:44 pm
had a 73 triumph, right side shift. a buddy had a norton, right side shift, 4 speed, upside down shift pattern. made for an interesting ride when we swapped rides! looked like a couple of biker tards.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 11:45:57 pm
OK, My headlight is a 7" tripod diamond cut reflector-with clear lens (perhaps naughty in California) it throws light all over the road-aiming has not been an issue. It uses a blue xenon center bulb same watts as original. there is also a blue wedge LED bulb in my pilot light socket, I wired it in with the running lights.
  I began by removing the 6" jumper cable the DOT put in the headlight (great how-to video about this), This enables me to TURN MY EXPENSIVE BULB OFF, & USE ONLY THE RUNNING LIGHTS, they are blue so are noticeable, & look like HAUNT LIGHTS AT NIGHT.
  My headlight ring is from a Chinese CJ (PLA sidecar tug) the base ring is the DEEP stock item from the DOT original light, I needed the extra depth for my reflector, Had to CUT OUT all the DOT TABS. It all went together well, is Candy to my eye, & works well. I like being IN CONTROL of MY LIGHTS.  DOT please sit & spin!
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 06:42:58 am
On gear changes -

My 54' Francis has a right hand gear change: 1 up, and 2 down
My 12' Electra has a left hand gear change: 1 down and 4 up

Oddly, it isn't the side of the gear change that occasionally catches me out, its the reverse pattern.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 03:37:45 pm
I like 1 up and X down.  Feels natural to me, but I'm left handed.  I wish left side shifters had that pattern.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 07:12:17 pm
I like 1 up and X down.  Feels natural to me, but I'm left handed.  I wish left side shifters had that pattern.

I like the down for first. that way if you hit the wrong pedal when you intend to brake, you just downshift and still get a retarding motion while you figure out which side the brake is on!
But I did start out on up-for-first bikes, BSA, Matchless. If you hit the gear lever for a brake there, it pretty much does nothing.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com