Author Topic: Side stand switch  (Read 13491 times)

avandr

• Scooter
on: October 22, 2012, 12:19:01 am
Just wondering if any of you guys have disconnected the side stand switch? I find it a pain & there are some issues associated with misfires etc.
I was contenplating diconnecting and placing a hand operated switch into the wiring. Hidden behind one of the locked covers this can act as a immobiliser?

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 01:10:02 am
Mine killed my G5 on the San Mateo bridge on the way to Monroe motors for service.  Disconnect it , just always remember to put your side-stand up before you drive away otherwise it gets very painful /deadly quite quick.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:41:11 am
I disconnected my sidestand switch over a year ago.

Before I did this, there were several times when I hit a bump that the engine would stutter a bit.  After disconnecting it this hasn't happened again.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 05:01:03 am
I disconnected it a long time ago.  It had started to cause problems with the bile running.  I left it that way, I like being able to start the bike and let it warm up on the side stand.

Scott

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:05:39 am
In the short time I've had mine I have had quite a few cases where I'd put it in neutral to hop off for a second, and put down the sidestand only to have it kill the bike. I REALLY wish they'd have incorporated a neutral sensor on the switch. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to do using a relay triggered off the neutral light on the display, but I'm getting lazy in my old age and will probably disconnect it.... ???
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:15:53 pm
I disconnected mine. If it let the engine run in neutral then it would (probably) still be connected.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:31:05 pm
Just wondering if any of you guys have disconnected the side stand switch? I find it a pain & there are some issues associated with misfires etc.
I was contenplating diconnecting and placing a hand operated switch into the wiring. Hidden behind one of the locked covers this can act as a immobiliser?

Yes, many are disconnected. I'd venture to say more are disconnected than connected. It's the 2nd thing I did when I got the bike. Removed the whole switch & the wires. The 1st thing to go was that damn jumper that had the headlight on all the time. I'll turn it on myself, thank you very much.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 01:13:59 pm
I disconnected mine yesterday.  I was doing 60, passing some slower-moving tourists on one of those long hills where they add a passing lane (well, I guess it's the slow lane they add), and suddenly the bike just quit.  I was able to coast through the slow lane traffic and get to the shoulder safely, but once I got settled, the bike started right up again!  I remembered the side stand switch problem, and I disconnected it.  No further troubles, yet, but I'm only about 120 miles from that event...

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 04:13:29 pm
mine is unplugged also. i found it anoying that i could not have the bike running in neutral with the side stand down...even though i hardly ever use it.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 04:54:02 pm
I've never had one. I usually start the bike and let it idle while I gather my helmet and stuff. I think that may be a feature on US and European import models.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:15 pm
I too have disconnected my Switch, there were several issues with the Bikes completely dying whilst riding on the freeway ( due to some faulty switches ). This motivated me to disconnect the switch and I've likewise not had any problems since.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 05:38:27 pm
I left mine in place.  Never had a problem with it.

Have thought about removing it but never got around to it.  There are times when it would be nice to let the bike warm up on the side stand but left it on the bike for safety.  I let her warm up on the center stand.  I know I'm just different.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:00:46 pm
Not sure about Europe but most of the modern bikes I have had have a sidestand interlock switch.  All the others have been sophisticated enough to let the bike run in neutral but cut the ignition if the bike goes into gear.  This has saved me from pulling away with the sidestand down several times.  Though I'm usually puzzled for a moment about why the bike died when I put it in gear.

I thought about making up a little circuit to do the same thing on the RE until the switch went bad.  No point in building anything around a bad switch so I just disconnected it.  I'm hyper vigilant about putting up the side stand now, if I sit on the bike and stand it up straight the stand goes up.  Even if it's not running, even if I'm not going anywhere.  I'm dumb so I just make it a habit.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 09:51:57 pm
I usually park my bike on the center stand. It can warm up there. He side stand switch can be a bit of a pain, but I leave it thee. Actually, my bike will run when it's leaning on the side stand, but taking the load off it kills the engine.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 10:24:24 pm
Many of them aren't located very well. If you drill out the mounting holes a little you can adjust them further away from the sidestand. This fixes the "hit a bump, bike kills problem".

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 10:34:01 pm
disconnected ... was fouling plugs

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 10:52:16 pm
I usually park my bike on the center stand. It can warm up there. He side stand switch can be a bit of a pain, but I leave it thee. Actually, my bike will run when it's leaning on the side stand, but taking the load off it kills the engine.
Bare

I'm way too lazy to put it up on the center stand just to warm it up while I get my gear on, that's like work.  This is like 9am when I do this.  I'm barely awake! 

Scott

mja

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 12:14:03 am
Mine was never connected ...  Go figure.

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 12:27:03 am
disconnected ... was fouling plugs
;D
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 02:52:35 am
A sensible compromise if your worried about safety might be to connect the side stand switch to a cutout relay connected to the electric starter circuit.

Amsters

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 06:17:51 pm
Many of them aren't located very well. If you drill out the mounting holes a little you can adjust them further away from the sidestand. This fixes the "hit a bump, bike kills problem".

Hey Thanks for this info! Just did this and it fixed the problem. I elongated mounting holes in the switch by about 2mm (milling out the switch plunger side of the mounting holes with a 5mm drill), this allows the switch body to slide about 2mm further away from the side stand leg. It moves the moves the switching point smack bang into the middle of the  movement range of the side stand ie. around 5 o'clock (ie. stand up is at 3 o'clock, down is at 7 o'clock).

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 05:01:27 am
I had the Dealer disconnect it before I accepted the bike Saturday. Removed it this weekend.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 06:28:54 am
My dealer disconnected the switch at my request, but left it mounted. Inspection of the switch today was interesting.
The first thing I noted was the correct mounting position of it requires the pigtail enter the unit in the front of the switch, and the leads entry point in the switch is not sealed in any manner (just the sleazy black tubing on the wires ending just short of the entry point.), leaving it open to all sorts of crap thrown back by the front tire or moisture etc. simply floating in the air. Combined with the very sharp bend of the pigtail at the entry point I imagine the crap getting into the switch when riding is a major cause of the "problematic" description often given the switch.
Rather than take the chance with the questionable quality of the switch, I removed it and sealed the frame connector.
'12 C5 Classic

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 05:08:34 pm
Bravo to your dealer for disconnecting it and not crying about some liability crap. 

Scott

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 08:15:48 pm
+1.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 09:07:30 pm
I thought everybody got rid of them!  I also got rid of the DOT required wiring jumper pigtail in the headlight, this gives ME the option of turning on/off my expensive Xenon headlight bulb. I have a bright blue LED pilot bulb in the reflector to be a "legal" running light.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 06:16:50 am
Bravo to your dealer for disconnecting it and not crying about some liability crap. 

In all fairness, they did ask I sign a Waiver of Liability. These are good folks, and I'm willing to protect them if appropriate. The switch isn't a big issue, so the waiver wasn't either.
Here's a pic of the finished removal of the unit, with the frame side connector sealed and secured. I reversed the install of the forward hex screw and set both with blue Loc-Tite.
'12 C5 Classic

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 05:03:17 pm
No offence, But if that is your battery vent hose-It is positioned in the photo, to put acid spots all over your rear wheel & etc. It should be positioned to go straight down pointing at the ground. Better still buy a new sealed AGM battery with no drain hose, that will never puke acid on your chrome or paint!   Hope this helps!

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 10:30:54 pm
Good point!
Thanks, Craig!
'12 C5 Classic

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 11:34:31 pm
I thought everybody got rid of them!  I also got rid of the DOT required wiring jumper pigtail in the headlight, this gives ME the option of turning on/off my expensive Xenon headlight bulb. I have a bright blue LED pilot bulb in the reflector to be a "legal" running light.

Tell us about your headlight set up, Craig.

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 10:22:34 am

Scott
While I was getting Mowgli serviced and having some work done the other day, I asked about this at the dealership. The guy in the service dept pretty much reached down and disconnected, then was getting ready to zip tie/cap it for me. I told him not to worry about it, I'd take care of it myself later.  No hedging, or waiver required.
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 06:33:49 pm
government mandated safety regulations contribute to diluting the gene pool. let me worry about my kickstand, headlight, etc. i just need some help getting the lid off the aspirin bottle! and i think i could live with a right side shifter, too.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 07:31:00 pm
Gotta ride a right side shifter bike one day...

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 07:57:21 pm
Gotta ride a right side shifter bike one day...
I like it.  Nice, intuitive and quicker upshifting for me, but I have to remain mindful the right side is not a brake!  Adjusting to left foot brake is less intuitive - I assume from driving cars.  I wouldn't hesitate to ride a bike so equipped.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 08:10:44 pm
had a 73 triumph, right side shift. a buddy had a norton, right side shift, 4 speed, upside down shift pattern. made for an interesting ride when we swapped rides! looked like a couple of biker tards.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 11:45:57 pm
OK, My headlight is a 7" tripod diamond cut reflector-with clear lens (perhaps naughty in California) it throws light all over the road-aiming has not been an issue. It uses a blue xenon center bulb same watts as original. there is also a blue wedge LED bulb in my pilot light socket, I wired it in with the running lights.
  I began by removing the 6" jumper cable the DOT put in the headlight (great how-to video about this), This enables me to TURN MY EXPENSIVE BULB OFF, & USE ONLY THE RUNNING LIGHTS, they are blue so are noticeable, & look like HAUNT LIGHTS AT NIGHT.
  My headlight ring is from a Chinese CJ (PLA sidecar tug) the base ring is the DEEP stock item from the DOT original light, I needed the extra depth for my reflector, Had to CUT OUT all the DOT TABS. It all went together well, is Candy to my eye, & works well. I like being IN CONTROL of MY LIGHTS.  DOT please sit & spin!

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 06:42:58 am
On gear changes -

My 54' Francis has a right hand gear change: 1 up, and 2 down
My 12' Electra has a left hand gear change: 1 down and 4 up

Oddly, it isn't the side of the gear change that occasionally catches me out, its the reverse pattern.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 03:37:45 pm
I like 1 up and X down.  Feels natural to me, but I'm left handed.  I wish left side shifters had that pattern.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 07:12:17 pm
I like 1 up and X down.  Feels natural to me, but I'm left handed.  I wish left side shifters had that pattern.

I like the down for first. that way if you hit the wrong pedal when you intend to brake, you just downshift and still get a retarding motion while you figure out which side the brake is on!
But I did start out on up-for-first bikes, BSA, Matchless. If you hit the gear lever for a brake there, it pretty much does nothing.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com