Author Topic: Side stand switch  (Read 13451 times)

avandr

• Scooter
on: October 22, 2012, 12:19:01 am
Just wondering if any of you guys have disconnected the side stand switch? I find it a pain & there are some issues associated with misfires etc.
I was contenplating diconnecting and placing a hand operated switch into the wiring. Hidden behind one of the locked covers this can act as a immobiliser?

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 01:10:02 am
Mine killed my G5 on the San Mateo bridge on the way to Monroe motors for service.  Disconnect it , just always remember to put your side-stand up before you drive away otherwise it gets very painful /deadly quite quick.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:41:11 am
I disconnected my sidestand switch over a year ago.

Before I did this, there were several times when I hit a bump that the engine would stutter a bit.  After disconnecting it this hasn't happened again.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 05:01:03 am
I disconnected it a long time ago.  It had started to cause problems with the bile running.  I left it that way, I like being able to start the bike and let it warm up on the side stand.

Scott

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:05:39 am
In the short time I've had mine I have had quite a few cases where I'd put it in neutral to hop off for a second, and put down the sidestand only to have it kill the bike. I REALLY wish they'd have incorporated a neutral sensor on the switch. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to do using a relay triggered off the neutral light on the display, but I'm getting lazy in my old age and will probably disconnect it.... ???
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:15:53 pm
I disconnected mine. If it let the engine run in neutral then it would (probably) still be connected.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:31:05 pm
Just wondering if any of you guys have disconnected the side stand switch? I find it a pain & there are some issues associated with misfires etc.
I was contenplating diconnecting and placing a hand operated switch into the wiring. Hidden behind one of the locked covers this can act as a immobiliser?

Yes, many are disconnected. I'd venture to say more are disconnected than connected. It's the 2nd thing I did when I got the bike. Removed the whole switch & the wires. The 1st thing to go was that damn jumper that had the headlight on all the time. I'll turn it on myself, thank you very much.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 01:13:59 pm
I disconnected mine yesterday.  I was doing 60, passing some slower-moving tourists on one of those long hills where they add a passing lane (well, I guess it's the slow lane they add), and suddenly the bike just quit.  I was able to coast through the slow lane traffic and get to the shoulder safely, but once I got settled, the bike started right up again!  I remembered the side stand switch problem, and I disconnected it.  No further troubles, yet, but I'm only about 120 miles from that event...

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 04:13:29 pm
mine is unplugged also. i found it anoying that i could not have the bike running in neutral with the side stand down...even though i hardly ever use it.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 04:54:02 pm
I've never had one. I usually start the bike and let it idle while I gather my helmet and stuff. I think that may be a feature on US and European import models.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:15 pm
I too have disconnected my Switch, there were several issues with the Bikes completely dying whilst riding on the freeway ( due to some faulty switches ). This motivated me to disconnect the switch and I've likewise not had any problems since.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 05:38:27 pm
I left mine in place.  Never had a problem with it.

Have thought about removing it but never got around to it.  There are times when it would be nice to let the bike warm up on the side stand but left it on the bike for safety.  I let her warm up on the center stand.  I know I'm just different.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:00:46 pm
Not sure about Europe but most of the modern bikes I have had have a sidestand interlock switch.  All the others have been sophisticated enough to let the bike run in neutral but cut the ignition if the bike goes into gear.  This has saved me from pulling away with the sidestand down several times.  Though I'm usually puzzled for a moment about why the bike died when I put it in gear.

I thought about making up a little circuit to do the same thing on the RE until the switch went bad.  No point in building anything around a bad switch so I just disconnected it.  I'm hyper vigilant about putting up the side stand now, if I sit on the bike and stand it up straight the stand goes up.  Even if it's not running, even if I'm not going anywhere.  I'm dumb so I just make it a habit.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 09:51:57 pm
I usually park my bike on the center stand. It can warm up there. He side stand switch can be a bit of a pain, but I leave it thee. Actually, my bike will run when it's leaning on the side stand, but taking the load off it kills the engine.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 10:24:24 pm
Many of them aren't located very well. If you drill out the mounting holes a little you can adjust them further away from the sidestand. This fixes the "hit a bump, bike kills problem".