Author Topic: Ring terminals for battery  (Read 5667 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: October 21, 2012, 10:28:59 pm
Forgive my lazy searching.  I know someone posted not long ago about the ends of their battery cables cracking off.  I think I have a solution:

These are some nice, heavy ring terminal ends I got at Napa.  Very heavy and would fit the battery cable ends on a UCE well.  I think the box was under $4.  Part #784572.

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 01:22:10 am
+1. I used similar ones from another store.....they work great.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 03:09:30 am
+1.  Those are nearly identical to the ones that my local bike shop gave me.  I had to bend them, but o/w they were perfect.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 01:00:06 pm
Can you bend these things to the "double" right angles of the original terminals without breaking them?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:54:57 pm by gremlin »
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 01:31:09 am
+1 to what Scott said.

Good to have some in the garage and in your jacket pocket.

If the battery terminal breaks,  a kicker won't help.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 05:13:24 am
You can't do a double bend, but a single bend is all you really need.  My 90 degree elbow is at the neck of the terminal, and my battery cable simply goes perpendicular from the battery.

Yep, when your terminal breaks, kicking won't work.  Neither will popping the clutch.  The terminals take up very little room in the tool kit and will save you in a pinch.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 12:14:31 am
Well, there's so many threads that talk about broken battery cable connectors, I couldn't decide which one to grab.  This one is as good as any...

Either we've been too hard on RE for their crap connectors, or too easy on NAPA by praising their replacement terminals Part #784572, like in Scott's photo at the top of the thread.

Why, you ask?  I got stuck on the side of the road again - you guessed it:

For the second time, I road-repaired the cable by cutting off the broken connector, stripping the wire, and simply wrapping it around the battery's screw.  I'm tempted to leave it that way!

Is there a way to come up with a more flexible solution, but that wouldn't fatigue so quickly?  Either way, I think I'm going to have to replace the ground wire - it's getting too short!

The good news: though I was on my way home on a long trip, and it was getting late in the day, I had my tools with me, and I had no worries about not being able to fix the problem.  Even as I was pulling over on a safe spot on a side road, I was already thinking through the troubleshooting steps and ideas I would try that I've learned here on this forum.  It seemed like an electrical problem, and even though I'd already fixed the battery terminal issue, I checked that first.  Sure enough...

So, thank you again everybody!!!!  8)

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 02:42:25 am
Forgive my lazy searching.  I know someone posted not long ago about the ends of their battery cables cracking off.  I think I have a solution:  some nice, heavy ring terminal ends I got at Napa.  Very heavy and would fit the battery cable ends on a UCE well.  I think the box was under $4.  Part #784572.

Scott
Great idea!  Last year I stopped to help a gentleman whose new(ish) B5 was conked out.  The terminal metal had snapped off.  Some temp repairs and he was good to go, at least for a while.  Do the new RE's come with beefier terminal connectors?
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 02:48:43 am
Great idea!  Last year I stopped to help a gentleman whose new(ish) B5 was conked out.  The terminal metal had snapped off.  Some temp repairs and he was good to go, at least for a while.  Do the new RE's come with beefier terminal connectors?

As far as I know, they still come with the thin terminals.  My point is, the beefy NAPA connector should have been a great idea, but it broke, too.

Any thoughts?  Is there a beefier still connector than that particular NAPA one?

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 04:02:40 am
Thin Metal Battery Cable Ends will break if the cable continually flexes back & forth enough. Try to route wires, so there is enough slack to zip cable tie both cables to the battery, thereby limiting cable movement & metal battery cable end fatigue.
   Also, one could by Replacement Screw On Auto Battery Cable Ends, then trim them (hacksaw & vice) to mate up to your Bike Battery. they are rigid soft lead & should be easy enough to cut.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 01:55:49 pm
Food for thought, Craig.

Any problem with replacing the ground cable with a longer one of the same wire gauge, to give me a better lead?

BTW, I'm still using the original Exide battery - I plan to change it out this winter.  Hopefully a new battery will give me some other wire lead options...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 02:26:33 pm
Longer cables and rerouting them will definitely help with the terminals not breaking off.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 02:28:59 pm

Why, you ask?  I got stuck on the side of the road again - you guessed it:

Is there a way to come up with a more flexible solution, but that wouldn't fatigue so quickly?

That sucks! Most likely I'm wrong, and the picture says otherwise, but I'll ask it anyway...did that connection have any signs of corrosion?
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 02:47:56 pm
That sucks! Most likely I'm wrong, and the picture says otherwise, but I'll ask it anyway...did that connection have any signs of corrosion?

Negative ( ;D ).  Clean as the day I installed it, early last spring.

Actually, I was lucky and it didn't really suck at all - I had the tools I needed, and I found the problem pretty quickly.  Only about 1/2 an hour lost.  It would have sucked big-time if I was on my way to work, though.  Or, I could still be sitting there scratching my head...

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 03:10:40 pm
Haha  :) That is good to know..but at the same time I'm kind of surprised and confused as to why a new and robust (was) connector will also succumb to the vibrations of a Bullet. Thankfully, I haven't had any broken terminals or other connections yet..I do keep a check on them and apply petroleum jelly to the battery terminals to keep away the moisture. Overall, they seem very secure. Maybe there will be a day when I'll get the same broken terminal. Spontaneous things these Enfields are  ;D

The terminal wires need to go in a way so that they are not bending too much near the connector side and are not forced to suffer any direct external force/movements whilst the bike is running. Maybe tightening the connections too much weakens the connectors somehow...I guess we'll never know. What a bike this Bullet is.   :D
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 06:00:37 pm
WHEN YOU DO CHANGE YOUR BATTERY, USE ONLY AN AGM TYPE BATTERY. It will not cause corrosion anywhere, or puke acid on your chrome or paint. & it lasts longer & is stronger.
   Also I prefer my terminals to the out side of the battery, so no frame contact can occur. You can always put a rubber/bubble wrap cover over it to prevent frame cover panel contact.
   I have had good success with Motobatt, Deka, & Odyssey brand batteries. Mottobatt being cheapest, Odyssey being highest. I'm Running a medium priced Deka in my 2010 G5 Deluxe,& like it fine.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 06:09:48 pm
Did you solder the new terminal on to the cables?  This makes for a great connection but does make that section of the cable less flexible, which could transmit the stress to the ring terminal.  I'd get some longer cables made so you can tie them to the frame and lower the vibration getting transmitted to the ring terminal.  Also, severval layers of heat shrink near the terminal can help transfer any stresses over a wider area.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 06:11:15 pm
   Something like this from your local auto store... it's what i use. But i don't crimp them on, I solder them on.  Heat the end, near the ring, and float the solder in and fill it around the wire.  A little butane or a propane torch works nice.....  http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=258

Or better yet... just take out your ground strap, and bring it down to the store. And they should have one... in a heavier gauge... that you can match yours up with.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:18:35 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 06:20:00 pm
Going to a heavier gauge is always a good idea on bikes, makes for much easier starts. 

Scott

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 07:53:00 pm
Do like the factory did: Go thinner.  Hot wires burn easier.  Very easy to smoke check if you're not sure.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 08:53:39 pm
I crimped the lugs on.  I wonder would it help in the long run to secure the cable directly to the battery somehow, so any vibration or movement between the battery and the frame is "absorbed" by the stranded copper cable rather than the solid metal terminal ends?

I've paid careful attention to the new battery threads, so I'm ready for that, Craig!

I'm pretty sure I'm done with long trips for this year; I'll probably just leave it as it is until riding season ends, at which point I'll make up some new cables to go with the new battery.  I seem to remember that somebody here found their positive cable "glued" into the solenoid.  I wonder if I'll find the same thing?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 09:04:15 pm
New cables with enough slack to tie it right to the battery would be a great idea.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 11:04:12 pm
I think the lugs breaking is because of the vibrations of the engine.

If the wire is just hanging there it will develop sympathetic vibrations causing it to move back and forth hundreds of times a minute.
The movement will fatigue the metal causing it to harden and break.

Tying the cable to the battery with a twisty tie or some electrical tape so it isn't hanging free will keep this from happening.

Crimping the cable to the connector is better than soldering it in place.
Yes, the solder will provide better electrical contact but it also bonds the wiring strands together so they can't move.
Without being able to move, the strands will develop very high stresses where the solder stops.   Small movements of the remaining wire will result in the same high stresses and hardening that can affect the connector resulting in the wires breaking.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 04:53:23 am
 Welding cable can be had in smaller guages perfect for motorcycle battery cables.  It's many finer strands resist vibration fatigue better and guage for guage it carries more load with lower resistance than comparable size cable. 

No matter where you go, there, you are.