Author Topic: Emgo 26" reverse cone muffler  (Read 4455 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: October 21, 2012, 10:26:35 pm

I picked this up a little while ago.  I was looking for an aftermarket muffler for a while.  I've heard the EFI and I think it's just too damn loud.  Also, I've seen them crack baffles loose and turn all horrible shades of the chrome rainbow.  The Indian made short bottle silencers sound better but seem to suffer the same fate.

Emgo makes some pretty good stuff, not the greatest but good.  They make two reverse cone mufflers about this size.  This is the 26".  The 27 3/4" one has a slightly different rear with a shorter rear cone and an exit that looks like a six shooter.  I liked the looks of the 26" better and the warning on it said, "Not for pre-1983 EPA motorcycles.  May not meet noise restrictions.  You're a bad, bad, noisy little biker!" or something like that.  This is a non-removeable metal baffle so nothing to change or re-pack.

It mounted up really easily.  I did bolt the support strap to the fender strut bolt instead of the passenger footpeg, the hole in the strap just wasn't big enough for the passenger peg.  It comes with reducers to fit a wide variety of pipes, I used just one.  I skipped the clamp that comes with it and used a fully encircling one instead.  I also used a little exhaust putty to stop a small leak at the split where it mounts and a 7" heat shield to cover the hot and ugly part of the pipe by the footpeg.

It sounds a lot like stock.  It might be a touch louder but neither your neighbors nor Johnny Law will ever notice.  You do get occasional backfires on decel.  Sometimes it's just a soft "poof" and other times it's a gunshot. 

The chrome is really heavy and looks good.  It's starting to go a little golden color in the middle.  Only time will tell if it goes full blue.

Overall I really like it.  It looks way better than stock and doesn't hang so far out in the back.  Performance is about the same but I definitely notice fewer vibes from the engine.

Scott

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 09:19:22 pm
Hey Scott,
I really like the overall look with this muffler. How is it holding up? Have you put on some miles with it? If it is not too much of a work, could you please post a sound clip of the bike running with maybe couple of throttle opening?
I have the Indian made short bottle muffler/silencer; it sounds pretty good and has mechanical baffles even; but I think it has become a bit more louder after around 7000 miles along with the K&N filter. But sure does reduce the engine vibrations.
Today gave my bike for a fork oil change; the dealer said he would use PJ 10W fork oil 200ml, I guess he might have to remove the fork assembly...let see.
Any opinion of PJ 10W fork oil?
Thanks.
Sajiv
2011 RE C5 (@25K + miles)
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed (sold @26K miles)
2013 BMW R1200RT (@43K + miles)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:27:13 pm
I haven't put too many miles on it, wet and lots of leaves on the road lately.  I could post a sound clip but it's not worth it.  It sounds REALLY close to stock.  I'm sure you would not be able to tell the difference with the crappy mic on my phone.

Any name brand 10W for oil is fine in my opinion.  I use Bel-Ray.  If you can get full synthetic, even better, but don't lose sleep over it.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 11:49:40 pm
My EFI is a bit louder than stock, but not nearly as loud as some of the other aftermarket silencers I've heard.
The upswept exhaust is the only one that I've heard of that has a persistent habit of falling apart. They are louder than my EFI.
I've got over 10,000 miles on mine and it still works great. It's got a bit of coloring on it, but they all get some. I'm not sure where mine came from. It was ordered form Nfield gear and is supposed to be English. It has no markings on it. Some of the English EFIs I've heard of have removable baffles in them, mine doesn't. They are fairly loud by the reports I've gotten, but I don't know if that is avec or sans the baffle.
Mine has yet to even rate a second glance by cops. I got stopped once because I hadn't received my license plate yet, and the cop made no mention of the pipe, and he was trying to find a way to write a ticket.
usually when I ride by one, they don't even notice me. The EFI has definitely improved the performance, a fair bit, but it's still about middle of the pack vs some other louder pipes. But don't go by hte noise, some of the loud ones aren't as quick as mine.
I would like to hear yours though! Yours does look nice, though.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 11:06:08 pm
My EFI muffler turned up wrapped in English newspapers from a year or so back. My guess is that it was made in England and packed about then. I took the little baffle off the back end because it improved the sound, and it hasn't changed colour since I painted it black.  ;) 

That reverse cone does look good. It is always good to know of different options.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare