Author Topic: What did you do to your Iron Barrel today ?  (Read 72034 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 10:18:10 pm
I finally acquiesced and chose a name for my bike today, too...  "Bhenchod."  :)   Given our relationship it's the only possible name I could have chosen.  It seems to have cracked the guys up quite a bit, except one man with no sense of humor.

How is this the only name you could come up with? I'm not sure how much that slang is used in India but assume it could be offensive to some. I think there must be a better name for your Bullet.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Afro Samurai

• Bulleteer
  • Afro Samurai
Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 01:04:52 am
Did my first oil change....first one I done..used bike..soo

...what a mess...enviro hazard...got more oil everywhere...changed filter and installed oil packing piece and magnet.....got it all finished...should have followed advice on making some sort of  diverter over exhause when pulling quill bolt plug?...wiped exhause..but still smoked like  crazy..ha ha...

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: November 27, 2012, 03:23:21 pm
How is this the only name you could come up with? I'm not sure how much that slang is used in India but assume it could be offensive to some. I think there must be a better name for your Bullet.

Maybe I'll paint it on the tank.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 04:22:17 pm
Maybe I'll paint it on the tank.
Whatever blows your hair back! Hope it gets rave reviews and ends up being a big hit for you.

2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #49 on: November 29, 2012, 09:38:40 pm
Yesterday I got down to the dealer and grabbed a new oil filter.  Poured some Seafoam in the oil and ran it to the store and back, then drained out the old and filled it with new.  Added some Lucas gunk to hopefully quiet the noises It's making.  Took off the distributor cap to adjust the timing and one of the plate bolts came out with the screw.  Had a hell of a time separating those.  Thought I'd check the gap just for the heck of it and found it was .024!  Didn't have time to adjust that... tonight hopefully.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: December 08, 2012, 06:24:08 am
Fork discussions seem to be all the rage in the forums right now.  And after reading Bare's fork oil change report, it inspired me to change my fork oil too.  I have bigger issues with the bike, but what the heck... fork oil is cheap.

My forks were sticking like crazy.  I'd come to a stop at a stop light and they'd dip and just stay there till the engine vibration worked them free again.

I ordered some Maxima "high performance" fork fluid (10wt) from Amazon, and grabbed a little measuring cup dealy from a local motorsport shop.  First off, the drain bolts would not budge!  Wound up whacking my wrench with a mallet a handful of times before I finally got them to turn.  Are they really supposed to be that torqued?  I drained the oil into the measuring cup to see how much was in it (there was 150 cc in each).  The oil was filthy... I mean REALLY filthy (see pic).  I decided they needed flushing, so I capped them off again and dumped in some petrol then got on the bike and pushed the nose down a dozen times.  Drained that gunk out (black again!) and let them air dry for a couple hours.  Replaced the top seals with some appropriate size o-rings and filled it with 200cc of crystal clear new fork oil.

Took it for a test drive and they're definitely better, but still a bit sticky.  Perhaps they'll improve over time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:27:19 am by LarsBloodbeard »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: December 08, 2012, 09:36:09 pm
When we went on the 250 miler last Sunday, mine were better on the way back than going. The oil just needs to circulate and get everything lubed.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #52 on: December 09, 2012, 05:26:50 am
That's what I'm hoping.

Today I swapped my front "skidmaster" for a k70.  Then I wire brushed the rust off the hub and sanded the chrome to prep for painting.  I figured I might as well enamel the front rim while I have it off.  The chrome really bugs me on this military bike.  Sometime I'll probably have the rims powder coated, but for now rattle cans will do.  To mask off the tire I deflated it, cut up some junk mail, inserted it between the rim and tire, and re-inflated the tire, then finished it off with some masking tape.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:29:44 am by LarsBloodbeard »

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: December 29, 2012, 11:29:39 pm
 Removed the foot pegs on my just purchased 01 Bullet, welded a nice bead on the "flats" of each where they contact the footpeg mounts. Then filed the welds down just so the pegs sit parallel with the ground instead of drooping (like they are bent down) 
 Aligned the rear fender stays with the rear wheel so the fender is centered instead of cocked to one side.
 Disassembled the shift linkage as it was bound up and shifts were crap. Removed rust from shaft and bushings, cleaned, relubed, now operates smooth as silk.
 Removed Goldstar Replica silencer and polished it up.
 Re-routed the modified breather hose from alongside the fender stay to under the fender alongside the wiring harness. Much tidier.
 Lubed the clutch cable, brake cable, adjusted the throttle cable. Major difference in operation ;D
 Lubed the speedometer cable.
 Installed nos Gran Turismo grips and Halcyon mirrors.
 Installed British made gas cap.
 Installed wingnut on timing inspection cover.
 Next it's on to dialing in the carb for lower altitude, and polishing/waxing....and waiting for some other tidbits to arrive from Hitchcocks.

Last thing I did today on the Bullet was sit back and oogle 8)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:33:18 pm by cafeman »

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #54 on: December 29, 2012, 11:48:15 pm
Now THATS a thing of beauty !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 03:37:51 am
Rode my '99 Deluxe today...tightened the KS lever,it had slipped about 1/3 of the way off of the shaft!Re-mounted my solo seat-cover last Sunday with SNAPS,instead of those awful,rusty,formerly black split rivets and bent finger slicing tabs...will re-mount the pillion cover this Sunday,pix to follow...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #56 on: April 22, 2021, 08:29:24 pm
So far on my Iron Barrel I have swapped the transmission shifter to the right side, installed an alloy barrel & forged slug, installed a pod air cleaner and hi-flo exhaust pipe, rejetted the MikCarb to match, scraped out the grease from the trans and went back with gear oil, replaced all wheel bearings, replaced all control cables with Hitchcocks HD items, fitted a new flat bench seat, added an LED headlight & swapped all bulbs for LED's, grafted in an 18V Li power tool battery to control overcharging issues, tossed the factory air cleaner & battery box, re-tyred with a 3.50 x 19 Dunlop K70 on the front and a 4.00 x 19 Duro HF308 on the rear, as well as tackling normal repairs. At 10,000 miles, this weekend it's time for another oil & filter change.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
  • New Bullet Owner/Longtime Bike Guy
Reply #57 on: April 22, 2021, 09:34:44 pm
Bike lost power on my ride in to work today, like someone threw a switch, about four blocks from my work. I thought it was fuel, but no burble with reserve on. Pulled the spark plug and made some shade, kicked but could see no joy arcing. Last time it was a bad coil, but that's probably not it with that new Bosch Blue coil I installed. Crap.

Pushed the bike up the hill, bummed out that I might be gonna miss bike night, and went in to work. Went out with my Leatherman at lunch, started sniffing around, checking wires and grounds, dressing up and re-smashing old Indian bullet connectors, then I pulled the boot from one of the coil leads and saw the culprit. The wire had just brittle-rattled itself apart just where it crimps into the connector.

I used the Leatherman to peel back the harness and free up another inch of that wire, stripped the insulation, wrapped the seven paltry strands of copper around the post, snugged the nut, and... she lit! Yeah--I LOVE when I can get the smoke back into the wires. Bike night came off after all.

That reminds me I need to go crimpe another connector onto that wire (whole thing will be rewired sometime soon).

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #58 on: April 25, 2021, 05:47:26 am
Oil & filter change, retorque the head bolts after 500 miles or so, then retard the intake cam one tooth. The guts of the bonded in worm nut came out with the quill bolt, so I had a reason to pop off the timing cover & do the cam voodoo. I keep an extra worm nut handy, this isn't the first "un-bonding" experience I've had. They seem to be good for about 4,000 - 6,000 miles. I ordered a new Stainless quill bolt ( 140038S; 13 Pounds), and a hollow stock worm nut (140119; 13 Pounds) and several neoprene seals ( 16704A; 0.7 Pounds). Hopefully a new quill and a new neoprene seal at oil change time (2000 miles) will keep the crank oil sealing solid for a dollar vs. 15 dollars. I think the no-longer-in-production-so-why-bother bonded seals have succumbed to the pre-rotted "India Rubber" malaise like the carb manifolds. If the neoprene doesn't work out, there's always cork, but I hate the idea of cork crumbles making their way to the con rod. I'm wondering why this isn't a teflon part.

I'll run the retarded intake for a thousand miles or so to see if I like it. The compression is stock, so it might not have any benefit. It apparently does for the 8.5/1 pistons.

The head bolts needed a bit of tightening, I used a loose-fitting (i.e. cheap 6-point...) 13mm socket and a 4" ratchet, tightened them back to snug from the bedding in looseness that had developed. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 05:56:06 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Willbrunei

• Reborn biker
  • Bulleteer
  • 2022 Halcyon Black Classic reborn
Reply #59 on: April 26, 2021, 04:30:02 am
I took my gearbox innards out. I didn't plan on doing so but ....

I did put them back in, but now it won't work.

:(

See my other post for details if you can help out with advice....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BwqJ9Tfpe1FkLSRE7
Used to have:
Fs1E; Yamaha V90 step through; MZ125; Harley badged Cagiva 125; Cm250T; DT250; 750 four F2; XS 650; GS400; W650; '07 iron barrel military 500; Royal Alloy TV175

Now have: '22 classic reborn