Author Topic: Living with a Lightning.  (Read 2232 times)

Spudgun

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2023, 08:55:49 pm
I've found the neutral light to be very handy. Especially when coming to a stop (Junctions, traffic lights, etc). Yeah. I do get false neutrals between the gears, but having that light is a boon. You can imaging my surprise when I found out that the iron barrel 350 and 500's didn't have one! Especially when (looking on Hitchcock's) the speedo's have provision for a neutral light.

Cruisers are not to everyone's tastes. That's true. The appeal for me was the upright riding position. The forward leaning position plays havoc with my wrists. With the Lightning. I can lean back slightly and go for mile after mile in comfort.
1999 Royal Enfield 500 Lightning

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2023, 10:48:06 pm
My iron barrel 350  Bullet Electra 4 speed came with a neutral light. I assumed they all did.
Paul W.

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: April 18, 2023, 08:58:18 am
My 2002 500 export doesn't have a neutral light. Be handy at times . . .
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 18, 2023, 01:35:28 pm
My 2008 350 had a neutral light on the speedo but no wiring or bulb holder associated with it and no switch on the gearbox...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #19 on: April 18, 2023, 04:26:11 pm
Neutral lights are an unnecessary affectation, just another thing to worry about. You'll know well enough when you are in neutral, a dodgy switch won't help that. The Bullet is all about the original experience which the 4-speed box gives you in spades.

I do enjoy my e-start though, handy for a quick roadside stop. Clutch in, hit the PB & go about your business. ;D  It worked a lot better after I defanged all the lawyer driven BS in the circuit.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #20 on: April 18, 2023, 04:56:53 pm
On the the four speed box it indicates which of the neutrals is the intended one, between first and second.

When I swapped to a five speed box it was easy to wire it straight in.
Paul W.

Spudgun

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: April 21, 2023, 02:09:37 pm
Well folks. I've managed to find the correct type of handlebar grips for my Lightning.

I've mentioned before that I had previously used a pair of replacements that looked the same, but were 15mm to long. Well. I've found another pair that are also 15mm to long, but they can be dismantled, so they can be cut to size. The Eagle motif on the ends is similar, but not the same. They also have "Roadhawk" written on them. The originals and the first replacements just had a blank space.

Spudgun

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: March 23, 2024, 07:59:03 pm
Just thought I'd mention that the Lightning passed its MOT today, with no advisories. However. That's not the point of this Post.

MOT stations for bikes are getting fewer and fewer around here. There were two last year. Now there are none. I had to travel 10 miles to get to my nearest MOT station. Thankfully. The person who did my MOT was a biker and owned a couple of Enfield's. One was a very nice cafe racer that sat in Reception (Along with two Norton Commando's). The other was a nicely restored twin (I think he said it was a Constellation), which he'll be selling shortly (He had sold his DWK Villiers 250 twin as week or so ago). It's nice to see someone who understands these bikes and their foibles. Oh. I had to start the bike for him as well.