Author Topic: What did you do to your Iron Barrel today ?  (Read 72035 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
on: October 21, 2012, 04:15:54 am
 Me not so much today. The other day was different story,,,,,pulled the head due to a regressing valve and seat.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 10:47:57 pm
Hi Ice:
I rode my bullet today. Crisp clear day today with autumn colors everywhere. I also have lots of twisties and hills. I ride most roads that are 45 to 55 mph roads that are great for my iron barrel bullet. I had the head off early in the season to replace the head gasket and I got a good seal this time by coating all surfaces with gascacinch. I'm not sure of that spelling but the stuff works good for me. I had a little oozing but removed the tank a second time and retorqued it and that did the trick. So lately, Ive been riding before snow flys. - - - not very far away here in northern New England.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:53:09 pm
Took mine out for a run yesterday, very pissy at start up but it had sat for a month. Once underway she ran like a dream with the Goldie pipe barking all the way! Life is grand.
Robert & REnfield. 8) 8) 8)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:13:00 pm
Took mine out for a run yesterday, very pissy at start up but it had sat for a month. Once underway she ran like a dream with the Goldie pipe barking all the way! Life is grand.
Robert & REnfield. 8) 8) 8)

I so way hate you right now   ;)  ;D  8)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 08:20:18 pm
Hi Ice:
I rode my bullet today. Crisp clear day today with autumn colors everywhere. I also have lots of twisties and hills. I ride most roads that are 45 to 55 mph roads that are great for my iron barrel bullet. I had the head off early in the season to replace the head gasket and I got a good seal this time by coating all surfaces with gascacinch. I'm not sure of that spelling but the stuff works good for me. I had a little oozing but removed the tank a second time and retorqued it and that did the trick. So lately, Ive been riding before snow flys. - - - not very far away here in northern New England.

Heaven on earth.  I envy you.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 08:32:51 pm
Just saw your reply Ice....... ;D ;D ;D

typan

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 06:17:13 pm
Gave mine a bit of protective spray ready for winter !  ;)

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 07:01:39 pm
Nothing today, but yesterday I had the day off and decided to adjust my noisy valves. I found them both loose and got the exhaust done then went on to the Intake side where I promptly broke the adjuster!
 I then go ton the phone with our sponsors and got new ones ordered up and on their way.
 It is a good thing that the weather has changed and gotten really rainy here in the Seattle area so I won't be riding for a while.

Damon
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 08:10:16 pm
Well, today I worked on the new ACE raised-port Indian Iron Barrel heads which now flow over 240cfm according to our latest flow bench tests at Mondello's. That's more flow per port than a Corvette LS1.

Also worked on the new ACE roller rocker system for the Iron Barrels which will have between .500"-.600" lift at the valves, and their new alloy rocker boxes and rocker covers. Of course, this will include the valve adjustment screws in the rockers, so that we can use the new Nascar grade racing pushrods that we have worked on too. Real racing pushrods with adjustments under the rocker covers! Yeah!

On another front, we began porting a Big Head to see how well we can bring that up to snuff. Our first try at a Big Head. We'll use some of our new techniques on this head, if we can. Interestingly, the Big Head comes with a larger 1.94" intake valve, and a smaller 1.6" exhaust valve.  There are some things about this Big Head that we liked, and other things which maybe weren't so great. But it is a good experience.

And to top it all off, we began working on our plan for hotrodding the new 1070cc Musket V-Twin with our newest hi-po top ends. We're hoping for 100hp out of it. It's going to require some major clutch and drive-line work to hold the power.

Other than that, things were fairly dull.
I've been under the weather with a bad cold and respiratory infection. Need to get some rest.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:13:15 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jmiller_2308

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 04:32:58 pm
Even though there is some chance for temps to approach 50 the days are getting short and work is getting crazy.  I decided to put the bikes to sleep for the winter today :(

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:04:36 pm
With Sandy looming ever closer, I took BFee out for a 2 hour blast up and Down the FDR Drive and the Belt Parkway. Revved her little heart out she did, so happy to be out playing.
I just snugged her down under her cover as the rain started lightly falling. I do believe she was smiling. :)
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 07:49:25 pm
I have the Bike Master Gel out of the bike for the past week...Using a new Schumaker speed charger, It toped off at 12.9V and has dropped to 11.75v over the past 5 days sitting on the bench with no load ...I'm thinking its a bad cell but I just put my secondary "Battery Tender" that chargers at .750 amps vice the 1.5 amp  to see if I can get that full charge rate up a wee bit more...Still think I have to take it to the shop and have them load test it as this "open voltage" type test is indicating a bad cell and we all know anything below 12.3 isn't good...
Oh Magoo you done it again

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 09:17:26 pm
Ice, just saw this post. I didn't do anything with my Iron Barrel today but when you posted i was out riding. Nice roads near Deer Creek Canyon. The Enfield loves the twisties at 6,500 ft..
Hope your valve is fixed without any problems and are out riding again soon.
2002 Bullet ES

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 04:43:06 am
Thanks Dave !

I should have it back together by supper time tomorrow.

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 06:54:15 pm
I collected my frame from the powder coaters, gloss Black and it looks great. I started stripping the engine, getting it ready for its new crankshaft. Stripping the primary is much harder with a belt drive as you can't use a clutch puller because the basket is so lightweight, so getting the clutch off took me ages. I hope to split the cases this weekend, but need to do my VAT return and bookwork so time will be tight.
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.