Author Topic: The old iron barrel mystique  (Read 2743 times)

Howie

• Scooter
on: November 02, 2012, 01:37:41 am
Since you guys always have the pulse on the interest of the traditional iron Enfields.  Is there more of clamor now, since the discontinuance, for the old style bikes?  Collectors usually appear when quality items cease production.  Howie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 03:21:53 am
Not that I really notice.
But the parts are starting to dry up.

The prices of the bikes have remained fairly steady the last few years. There's not really any down trend happening.
I expect at some point they will start to go up.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 01:45:29 pm
Ace,

As an Iron Barrel owner I have noticed a few times you have mentioned parts starting to become scarce.  Worries me a bit.  Are there any specific parts where you have noticed problems with availability?

And on the same topic, are there parts you would suggest an enthusiast who plans on keeping the bike long term should order and have on-hand?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 01:56:03 pm
Ace,

As an Iron Barrel owner I have noticed a few times you have mentioned parts starting to become scarce.  Worries me a bit.  Are there any specific parts where you have noticed problems with availability?

And on the same topic, are there parts you would suggest an enthusiast who plans on keeping the bike long term should order and have on-hand?

What I notice mostly is that the large castings are becoming more scarce.
Things like engine cases, primary cases, cylinder heads.
I don't use many stock internal parts because we upgrade everything in our builds, so I may not be aware of the situations with that stuff.

I think you will find that when RE has nothing left for parts of these bikes, other companies will produce replacement parts instead. Even if I have to do it.

This happens with most classic bikes that were built by companies that went out of business. Enthusiasts take up the slack to produce the needed parts.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.
You'll be able to get tune-up parts, and it's hard to stock every single part that might go bad under some unknown circumstance.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:02:49 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 04:45:34 pm
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a second RE.  For a significant other to ride... but also just in case.  ;D

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:15:47 pm

I think you will find that when RE has nothing left for parts of these bikes, other companies will produce replacement parts instead. Even if I have to do it.

As an iron barrel diehard I will hold you to that "even if I have to do it."  ;D

Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 12:38:05 am
The aftermarket for R.E. is huge, second only to Harley.

I would not worry about major items for at least a few more decades.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 10:19:54 pm
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a second RE.  For a significant other to ride... but also just in case.  ;D
I bought a second one for parts,but got it running,so I started riding it...bought a third one for parts,got IT running so well,I had to start riding it,too...finally bought a fourth Bullet with no engine,stripped off everything that I could,and put it on the other three...now I have a Bullet frame,and a girder front end...wonder if I can put them together?[/i]
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 02:31:05 am
Go for it, make a bobber out of it.  I saw a nice black one somewhere.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 01:10:20 am
Yeah,I'm thinking maybe a bobber with a 700 CC Constellation or Trailblazer engine...totally old school,very minimal chrome and Bullet styling,with half again as much power... ::)
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 06:39:17 pm
with half again as much power..

More like double the horsepower!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 03:08:19 am
Maybe not a "Musketball",but at least a "Magnum" Bullet!