Author Topic: Throttle Cable, where to go from here  (Read 8395 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 11:25:50 pm
Okay, newbie question coming up. I got the new cable. I screwed off the top part of the carb but am now scratching my head  and staring at this cable like a deer in headlights.

So, how do i take this end of the cable out of the carb? My inkling is to twist that gold plate buried inside and bend the cable so the ball end comes out from somewhere hopefully but am unsure. Thought i'd ask and search around first. And the spring seems to be locked in from the top and bottom.

Thanks
Vishal

Pull the spring back to release the plate under the spring. You will see the plate has a tang that fits in a slot in the slide. Once your remove the plate you will see how the cable connects. To install the new cable, collapse the spring, insert cable end into slot in slide then insert plate and release spring into slide. Pretty simple procedure once you do it a few times.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 05:02:37 am
Okay, thanks. It was like you said. I could get the cable fastened with the spring, but the plate wasn't flush like it seemed to be before (?)

The other issue is, before doing this, i noticed the original cable length is different than the new one i ordered from bulletwalla. I specifically ordered the 4-speed bullet cable, but is it just a question of routing it differently? Took a pic of the difference.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:35:43 pm by easy-v »

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 10:19:38 pm
Nevermind, it's flush now.

Now my only concern is if the cable I had before was the incorrect length, and now correct. or vice versa.

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 09:15:42 pm
Okay, I hooked the carb end and now i'm doing the throttle end. The problem is strange. See pic.

When the peg of the top part of the iginition control goes into that hole in the handlbar and clamps down flush with the bottom part, the throttle doesn't snap at all, it's stuck throttle. However, away from the hole and clamped down, the throttle snaps back fine.

I also tried putting it together outside of the handlebar, fully clamped flush and the throttle snaps back fine. It only doesn't snap back at this part on the handlebar, when the peg goes in that hole to keep in from sliding.

And it seems it's something in the top part of the iginition control is preventing it from snapping back, but i cannot for the life of me see what.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:53:07 pm by easy-v »

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 10:06:25 pm
I had a similar problem.  I wound up wrapping some tape around the handlebar, and cutting a hole in the tape for the peg that keeps it in the right place.  Make sure you don't lose ground to those controls though, if they use handlebar contact.

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 01:02:33 am
Okay, thanks. Will try the tape.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 01:19:19 am
For such jobs I always use silicone self-fusing tape.  Permanently bonds to itself, but has no sticky residue to leave behind if you remove it.  Gives a good grip for handlebar mounted stuff.  Expensive though.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 03:22:29 am
Seems to me the tape and installing the grip without using that guide hole are both kinda iffie ways of fixing the problem.

The grip, when it is installed with the tab in the hole should work.  I know the grip on my G5 is engaging that hole and its throttle works just fine.

The challenge is to find out what's causing things to bind.
To do that, the first thing I'd do is to remove the cable from the grip and install it.
If it rotated freely then the problem must be with the cable or how it is moving the grip when it is installed.
If the grip didn't rotate freely without the cable attached then something inside it is either interfereing with the bar or maybe the little burrs around that hole in the bar is causing the problem.

Without frinkeling with it I can't really pin down what the problem is but IMO it should be fixed the right way before hooking up the cable and riding merrily down the road.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 06:25:15 am
You misunderstood a bit.  I was saying to cut a hole in the tape so that the guide still works.  You don't want that control rotating around when you go to use the throttle (trust me, from experience).

Not all bikes are perfect.  Mine has obviously been in an accident or two (not just laid down), so I have a lot of issues like this.  I figured his handlebars are probably bent.

....remove the cable from the grip and install it.
If it rotated freely then the problem must be with the cable or how it is moving the grip when it is installed.

That's a great suggestion though.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:27:31 am by LarsBloodbeard »

pooletx

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 07:04:55 pm
As luck would have it, my throttle cabel broke recently as well.  2004 Sixty-5.  Does anyone know of a cross reference for another bike's throttle cable that can be used on a Bullet?  I'd rather not wait for 2 weeks for a cable from India, if you know what I mean.  Any info is appreciated!

John
John Poole
pooletx@hotmail.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 07:25:28 pm
find a local dealer.....
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/locator/dealers/usa/start

6 authorized Royal Enfield motorcycle dealer(s) found in Texas.
Hog Heaven Motorcycles

4710 Canyon Drive
Amarillo, TX 79109
Phone: 806-236-4555 • Email
Killeen Power Sports

3701 E Central Texas Expy
Killeen, TX 76543
Phone: 254-634-2224 • Email
Polaris West

6117 Highway Blvd
Katy, TX 77494
Phone: 281-391-8800 • Email
Royal Enfield of Fort Worth

8124 West Freeway
Fort Worth, TX 76108
Phone: 817-834-1392 • Email • Website   
Strokers Dallas

9304 Harry Hines Blvd
Dallas, TX 75235
Phone: 214-357-0707 • Email • Website   
Wildfire Motorcycle Company

6905 66th St
Lubbock, TX 79424
Phone: 806-783-8884 • Email • Website   

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

pooletx

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 01:02:10 am
Thanks for the info. I will be ordering spares of all cables for sure. 
John Poole
pooletx@hotmail.com

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 05:05:13 pm
Ended up putting the fusion tape to create some space and help with the snap back action. However, I noticed I'm still able to roll the throttle forward, beyond it's resting also. This was the case before too when everything went to hell.

Looks like there's a screw in the throttle body that is near the ferrule/cable slot, that I believe prevents this roll forward action.

Does anyone know here what this screw/part no is? I've looked at manuals and emailed the closest dealer (Richmond, va), but no luck. I'll be seeing them at the bike show this weekend, and i'll ask there. But curious if anybody knows here.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 08:01:38 pm
Ended up putting the fusion tape to create some space and help with the snap back action. However, I noticed I'm still able to roll the throttle forward, beyond it's resting also. This was the case before too when everything went to hell.

Looks like there's a screw in the throttle body that is near the ferrule/cable slot, that I believe prevents this roll forward action.

Does anyone know here what this screw/part no is? I've looked at manuals and emailed the closest dealer (Richmond, va), but no luck. I'll be seeing them at the bike show this weekend, and i'll ask there. But curious if anybody knows here.

I don't see any screw like you describe. On the attached parts illustration there are two screws not shown on assy #14. In my parts book they are #12 & #13 PN's 143359/143352. They look to me like the the two screws that attach the switch module halves. Other than that I see only #15 which is the ferrule (throttle cable stop) PN 143314. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:03:43 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 12:03:58 am
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

Remains a mystery why I can roll that throttle forward. I did put an incorrect length screw in that spot and it prevented it from rolling forward mostly.. I suspect I need a whole new throttle body. I'll see what the enfield guys say at the bike show saturday.

thanks again