Author Topic: Throttle Cable, where to go from here  (Read 8427 times)

easy-v

• Scooter
on: October 20, 2012, 09:27:28 pm
Hey all,

I have a 2003 Bullet 500es, Electric + Kickstart

So while starting the bike after a bit of riding the other day, I must've flooded the engine after some failures. That's when I noticed the throttle assembly pulled in much of the cable, and wasn't snapping back. Anyways, today I could start it again. This time I had to disassemble the throttle housing and take out the cable. Now i can start it (only with kickstart) and rev by pulling the throttle cable manually outside of the housing.

So here are pics of the cable. A couple questions -

1) I'm not certain but is there a piece missing that clamps around the end of the cable for the snap back action, but stays on the outside of the assembly? I marked an arrow in Pic A..

If that's the case, can I just get that clamp piece separate and re-attach? Or does this need an entire throttle cable replacement?

2) If entire cable replacement, is this something I can do on my own. I've never even taken the tank off before..

3) In pic B, i'm pulling the cable while the engine is running to show the health of it here for more visual info. Not sure if this looks too chewed up to you all (?)

Any suggestions on where to go from here would be great..

Thanks
Vishal
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:14:05 am by easy-v »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:23:09 am
You don't need to take the tank off just undo it in the back and lift it up. You need a new cable and a ferrule for the twist part I believe.Depending which twist grip you have.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 07:32:10 am
Here's a simple and no cost trick we "invented" as kids.
Re route all the cables for ease of replacement.

When one brakes its a simple matter to lay the ends of the old and new cables side by side and overlapping a few inches then wrap them together tightly with electrical tape and pull the new one in while pulling the old one out.

Testing the pull through method at home (where the tools are  ;) ) will reveal any snags and tell you if any routing adjustments need to be made.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

typan

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 04:15:12 pm
There's some serious twisting of the cable there ! Always try to find the straightest route for cables, that goes for any of them. The headlight is not the best route, it's also a good idea to fasten a new second cable to the fist, for when one snaps, and it will !  Then you have no routing problems and if out on the road, you can be on your way in no time.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 06:51:47 pm
Any time any cable starts to fray like that, one strand is sufficient, it is due for immediate replacement. If it hangs up, particularly a throttle cable, it can cause life altering results. When a cable starts to feel stiff or sticky, find out why!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:12:25 pm
Hi Vishal:
By the look of your cable you are in need of a  replacement.Remove the old one by carefully noting it's route from the throttle grip to the top of the carb. Be sure there is no sharp bends when routing the new one. Yours looks badly twisted and thats what caused it to fail. Secondly be sure to lube the replacement so it will allow the cable to slide easily inside the cable sheath. Don't try to fix or nurse along the one in your photos. I replaced mine and it's not hard to do.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.   

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 11:07:57 pm
Okay, thanks a lot for the advice guys. I'll order the cable and the ferrule then, and post on this thread if i have any issues along the way. Hopefully it'll go smoothly.

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 11:09:30 pm
In fact, i'll order two based on suggestions.

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 02:14:41 am
Looks like the right one.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:25:46 pm
I've heard of people putting a drop of silicone or other glue type stuff on the ferrule to keep it from falling out as easily.  I just check my cables once in a while and make sure they're tight enough that the ferrules won't fall out.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 04:42:57 am
just give it a wrap of eliktrickle tape to the casing..... will not be noticible and you will keep your ferrule.
               - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 07:05:04 am
D'oh!  I lost my ferrule today too.  :-[

Disconnected the cable and when I went to reconnect it was gone... searched the ground all around the bike.  The ferrule gnome must've taken it!

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 10:31:55 pm
Okay, newbie question coming up. I got the new cable. I screwed off the top part of the carb but am now scratching my head  and staring at this cable like a deer in headlights.

So, how do i take this end of the cable out of the carb? My inkling is to twist that gold plate buried inside and bend the cable so the ball end comes out from somewhere hopefully but am unsure. Thought i'd ask and search around first. And the spring seems to be locked in from the top and bottom.

Thanks
Vishal