Author Topic: Carb questions  (Read 7543 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 08:14:51 pm
I'll just leave this here.

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/automotive-technology/crisp-punch-ported-throttle-slide-cv-carb-9399/

I gotta say I'm skeptical.  Why wouldn't the factory have spec'd this magic bullet answer to CV carb performance??  You gotta give something to get something in most things in life and mechanics...what is the porting changing besides creating at least a perception of better throttle response at average Indian road speeds?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 09:19:07 pm
 The ports are sized for maintaining the highest practical manifold vacume and therefore the best fuel atomization, economy and combustion efficiency.

In the early to mid 90's this same mod was popular with Harley EVO motors. Over use of the right wrist to make use of the mod had more of an effect on fuel consumption.  ;D

No matter where you go, there, you are.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 01:15:06 am
The ports are sized for maintaining the highest practical manifold vacume and therefore the best fuel atomization, economy and combustion efficiency.

In the early to mid 90's this same mod was popular with Harley EVO motors. Over use of the right wrist to make use of the mod had more of an effect on fuel consumption.  ;D

Then color me shocked...the first question any Indian asks about any vehicle is "what's the mileage?!"  :)

There was a commercial here featuring a rich guy shopping for Bond-villain class mega-yachts, who after much wordless scrutiny asks, "What kind of miles does it get?"

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 03:28:37 pm
@Dampking. A BS 32?  On a RE by chance?

Does anyone know of a supplier for throttle slides for the BS29?  I don't trust my 'steady hand'.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 04:58:51 pm
Yea. Most of our 500s here run on BS32 with 25, 27.5 pilot and 150~175 mainjet (depending on the altitude). The throttle slides for BS29 is priced at 600 rupees INR. These CV carbs are dirt cheap here so we can experiment a lot with them.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:59 pm
By the way a new Jap bike just came out in Indian Market and that bike is using a CV carb named UCD33, going to try that out and will post results soon! Can be very good for 500cc enfields! Also heard that the needle has 5 notches unlike the BS32 which comes with 1 notch :)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 12:15:23 am
Im bumping this as I got out today and tested my ported BS29 carb slide.

Basically, purchased a new throttle slide / piston valve for the CV carb from India and then increased the 2 vacuum ports from 1/16 to 1/8 inch.  The Electra is very punchy and responsive!  Im liking it.  I could only go through the first 3 gears (riding in 38 degrees), and so far I like.  I just followed the instructions on the web site and i contacted the author for the slide.  Cost about 11 US dollars + shipping.

Should also say, im using a K&N + free flow exhaust system, w/ 17.5 pilot and 115 main.  Needle in the middle clip with 1 shim.  May change the needle once it gets warmer. 
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 07:53:37 am
Thats great! Who got it done for you? The guy who posted that on that site?

-Sanket

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 03:19:00 pm
Got it from:
Chinmay Dangre <macasp@gmail.com>. I just followed the link in the article.

Very friendly guy and very helpful!  I caught him in the middle of his Goa ride. One of the things I need to add to my 'punch list', ride to Goa.
2006 AVL Electra

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 07:47:48 pm
Chinmay is awesome! One of the best Bullet Doctors in India! :)

I heard that he makes jets of all kinds for RE Specific bikes. Also, a friend tried his custom made exhausts, they were pretty good!

-Sanket